MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
School Of Business (DeGroote School of Business) Chad Academics 58 09-12-2011 10:53 AM
McMaster Summer School for high school student MacPack First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 08-04-2010 06:35 PM
Required courses for second year, med school, summer school, etc. kwyhan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 12-26-2009 07:14 PM
Getting into Med School Keenu Academics 39 12-19-2009 11:23 PM
How to get a date - relationship advice lorend Misc 1 10-13-2007 11:14 AM

Other School Relationship

Old 07-28-2009 at 03:03 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Other School Relationship
I think that most of you get what this thread is aiming at from the title. I have a question about my gf who will be going to Mohawk at the Hamilton campus, who lives in Brantford, but who would like, often, to come to McMaster to study, rather than going back to her house at home.

I know there are a lot of relationships that fail come thanksgiving (the turkey dump), but I think its great that she is going to school in the same town as me! We never went to the same highschool, and were spending the entire summer apart, as Im in Europe, so her being seperated from me for, at the longest, a month for exams, is hardly going to be the end of the relationship anyways, getting over the likely over-heard part of my story: the questions that matter

What can/should she do if driving to McMaster to visit? Obviously outsiders are hardly noticeable, since we dont have school barcodes tatooed on our heads, but if she had Mohawk stuff on her, how are Mohawk students, and noticeable outsiders accepted at Mac? Are there other relevant questions I should be asking? (I love that question )
Old 07-28-2009 at 03:06 PM   #2
stevennevets

Liked: 37 Times

I don;t think you need to worry. last year I took my girlfriend to my physics class, with only about 30 students. just don't disrupt, and no one even cares.

she probably wouldn't want to show up plastered in mohawk stuff, but students from other schools visit for so many reasons, no one will really care. also, mac and mohawk seem to have a good relationship, so I wouldn't worry about her being treated badly
Old 07-28-2009 at 03:10 PM   #3
mike_302
Elite Member

thats great to hear! thanks for the nearly INSTANT reply! You cant win the instant lottery faster than that (bad joke: I know)

just one other thing though: what about the parking: what options are there and what is suggested ? Im in LP
Old 07-28-2009 at 03:14 PM   #4
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

You can totally take friends to class, just don't take ten because other people who are in the class need a seat and be really quiet. Ideally you shouldn't be talking to her 'cause it annoys people.

Here's the link for parking @ mcmaster:
http://parking.mcmaster.ca/
Old 07-28-2009 at 03:18 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

oh I never planned on taking her to class I undertand the "annoy people part" and I have a sense of that, and I would never do it if it annoyed me too.. Im very respectable that way.

I just wanted her to be able to come to rez and maybe the library if need be, and know if shed be comfortable.
Old 07-28-2009 at 03:24 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
oh I never planned on taking her to class I undertand the "annoy people part" and I have a sense of that, and I would never do it if it annoyed me too.. Im very respectable that way.

I just wanted her to be able to come to rez and maybe the library if need be, and know if shed be comfortable.
Honestly if she looks like a student she'll be fine haha, there's no like identification police on the borders of campus. That would be pretty weird :S
Old 07-28-2009 at 04:58 PM   #7
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Yeah, don't worry about bringing her onto campus. We don't have roaming death squads for Mohawk students
Old 07-28-2009 at 07:20 PM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Bahaha.

I'm actually writing an article on The Turkey Dump for the October/November issue of STUDENT (a magazine) right now. Excellent timing, Mike!

To get back at your question...I hardly doubt she is going to get stoned of flogged if she is wearing Mohawk gear. My friends in res wore clothing from all kinds of other residences, as did their friends who visited, and no one died. She'll be fine.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-28-2009 at 07:23 PM   #9
atyclb

Liked: 1 Time

There's also that Mohawk/McMaster Institute for Applied Health Sciences building on campus. So there must be quite a few Mohawk students around campus.
Old 07-28-2009 at 07:57 PM   #10
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

A lot of Mac Students take courses at Mohawk, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 07-28-2009 at 08:24 PM   #11
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

I've seen people with everything from York to Western sweaters walking around campus - no one cares - for all they know, they went to another school before then came here! But yeah, bottom line, no one will care so nothing to worry about!
Old 07-29-2009 at 01:28 AM   #12
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
I think that most of you get what this thread is aiming at from the title. I have a question about my gf who will be going to Mohawk at the Hamilton campus, who lives in Brantford, but who would like, often, to come to McMaster to study, rather than going back to her house at home.

I know there are a lot of relationships that fail come thanksgiving (the turkey dump), but I think its great that she is going to school in the same town as me! We never went to the same highschool, and were spending the entire summer apart, as Im in Europe, so her being seperated from me for, at the longest, a month for exams, is hardly going to be the end of the relationship anyways, getting over the likely over-heard part of my story: the questions that matter

What can/should she do if driving to McMaster to visit? Obviously outsiders are hardly noticeable, since we dont have school barcodes tatooed on our heads, but if she had Mohawk stuff on her, how are Mohawk students, and noticeable outsiders accepted at Mac? Are there other relevant questions I should be asking? (I love that question )
She will need you to log her into the wireless and for you to take any books she wishes to have out of the library. Other than that, provided she does not get in trouble, nobody will notice. It's the same at every university. (I cover universities for a national media outlet and often study while at another campus)

In terms of Mohawk gear, I have a few Mohawk shirts now (I'm taking a program there on top of my university studies) and nobody notices. I sometimes wear my University of Manitoba gear as well and have been known to wear a York University shift as well.

I'd suggest splitting your time between McMaster and Mohawk. Your girlfriend may find McMaster to be a poor environment to study. McMaster is a small campus and there is not a lot of good study space. Mohawk's "I-Wing" offers excellent study space. A bonus is Mohawk has a Harvey's.
Old 07-29-2009 at 01:10 PM   #13
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

If she showed up plastered in Mohawk gear, people would probably just assume she's in Pharmacology or Nursing (Which are cheerfully termed "Mo-Mac" Programs since you spend half your time at Mac and half your time at Mohawk).

It's not like she's showing up in York gear, and people are going to crowd around her shouting "STRIKE! STRIKE!"

feonateresa likes this.
Old 07-29-2009 at 03:47 PM   #14
c.thomson

Liked: 4 Times

Sometimes I even see people with clothing from other universities (eg. Laurier), and nobody cares. And people always have their friends from other schools come a visit them at res, and stay over (as long as your roomie is cool with it- which most are). Your biggest concern is going to be finding a place for her to park without paying an arm and a leg.