MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms? hellonewyork First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 25 07-02-2009 09:03 PM

Outlets...

Old 01-20-2009 at 02:58 PM   #1
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Outlets...
Is it just me, or does it seem like the original designers of the McMaster campus didn't think electricity would be such a big hit? I find it almost impossible to charge my computer anywhere other than the library (ONLY Thode, always taken elsewhere) and maybe the student center at the couches if there isn't already someone there.

Whenever there are outlets around, there always in the dumbest spot (like 8 feet above the ground in the eating area in the student center) or in some obscure corner with no where to sit.

I think we should lobby McMaster to give each student a free extension cord, or a car battery on wheels that follows you around with an outlet jack on top. That's just me though.
Old 01-20-2009 at 03:03 PM   #2
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

Hahaha I totally know what you mean.
Old 01-20-2009 at 03:20 PM   #3
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 470 Times

There does seem to be a lack of outlets but there are some around, you just have to look for them.

I only have one suggestion at the moment if you don't feel like being somewhere loud like the student centre. Bridges has outlets around the walls on both levels, it's usually quiet there except peak times like lunch and dinner.
Old 01-20-2009 at 03:23 PM   #4
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

and then you could also get yourself some CHILLLLIIII!!

If you seriously haven't tried Bridges chili yet, I highly recommend it. It is amazing.
Old 01-20-2009 at 03:24 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

In MDCL 1010 there's one above the bloody whiteboard!!!

Old 01-20-2009 at 03:28 PM   #6
sew12
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
and then you could also get yourself some CHILLLLIIII!!

If you seriously haven't tried Bridges chili yet, I highly recommend it. It is amazing.
True. Best chili ever, if you're not a vegetarian I promise you won't notice that it doesn't have actual meat in it.
Old 01-20-2009 at 06:21 PM   #7
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like the original designers of the McMaster campus didn't think electricity would be such a big hit? I find it almost impossible to charge my computer anywhere other than the library (ONLY Thode, always taken elsewhere) and maybe the student center at the couches if there isn't already someone there.

Whenever there are outlets around, there always in the dumbest spot (like 8 feet above the ground in the eating area in the student center) or in some obscure corner with no where to sit.

I think we should lobby McMaster to give each student a free extension cord, or a car battery on wheels that follows you around with an outlet jack on top. That's just me though.
A solution (especially in lecture halls) is to bring a power cord. Then several of you can all share the same outlet, yay!

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 01-20-2009 at 07:46 PM   #8
Kevin

Liked: 1 Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
A solution (especially in lecture halls) is to bring a power cord. Then several of you can all share the same outlet, yay!
Agreed. Then if you are a jerk or want a laugh at the expense of others, you leave early and take the power cord/bar with you. Tell the others to fight over who gets the outlet.
Old 01-20-2009 at 10:49 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

... I'm still liking the idea of a robot car battery on wheels that follows me around.
Old 01-21-2009 at 02:16 PM   #10
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Frankly, I'm surprised nobody brought this up sooner!
And speaking of Thode, trying to find a place to charge your laptop in the basement where all the help centres are is HELL.

Usually, all the tables along the windows are taken and then there's the one obscure plug on the pole by the group study rooms. McMaster needs to renovate that place to be more electricity-friendly.

And I'm all for the free extension cord idea although of course, robot batteries are sweet too.

Last edited by Moo!io : 01-21-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-21-2009 at 03:26 PM   #11
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

I went to a public lecture at Guelph and loved how that in that class room, every desk had an outlet coming out of the desk. Definitely need some updates in this department.

But remember, bridges = available electrical outlets + chili!!!
Old 01-21-2009 at 03:41 PM   #12
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
... I'm still liking the idea of a robot car battery on wheels that follows me around.
I think you should do it, for S&G

Old 01-21-2009 at 05:56 PM   #13
jh890

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I went to a public lecture at Guelph and loved how that in that class room, every desk had an outlet coming out of the desk. Definitely need some updates in this department.

But remember, bridges = available electrical outlets + chili!!!

i think laurier also has that if i can remember correctly...
i wish we had that! it would be soo much more helpful.
Old 01-21-2009 at 08:00 PM   #14
sew12
Elite Member

Some classrooms at Mac have that.

DSB AB102 has two outlets between every few seats.
Old 01-21-2009 at 08:21 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Too bad nobody decided to make wireless electricity mainstream. Apparently Nikolai Tesla got it working in the early 1900's with light bulbs he just plugged into the dirt, but it never caught on because Thomas Edison was a really big d*****.

Last edited by kokosas : 01-21-2009 at 08:44 PM.