iN Need of a poweR Supply snaps General Discussion 18 10-29-2008 06:01 PM
Power Outage! kevinf General Discussion 7 10-29-2008 02:17 PM
URGENT: My power is out. Penguin Mary Keyes Forum 3 09-30-2008 03:49 PM

Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms?

Old 07-02-2009 at 12:39 PM   #1
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times

Power outlets and wi-fi in classrooms?
Right now, with wi-fi, my battery dies within 1 or 1.5 hrs.
How are the power outlets in the classrooms (like is there one every row, etc.)?
I want to know if I should get a new battery during the summer.

Also, is there wi-fi in each classroom?
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:48 PM   #2
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

Every classroom is pretty much different in respect to both.

Some classrooms have a ton of outlets and they are spaced well. I know one classroom in the Degroote annex basement or whatever has like two plugs between every few seats in every row. Other classrooms though have only a few plugs scattered along the walls. It's best to show up early to any class if you depend on having an outlet to sit near.

As for wi-fi some classrooms have it, some don't. MDCL for example has wi-fi available all over. In Arts Quad though wi-fi isn't available in every class. The big classroom on the main level of TSH for example, 120 doesn't have wi-fi.

It's hit or miss.

Having wi-fi in class is more distracting than anything else though. Paid much less attention in first year when I had my afternoon classes in MDCL and I brought my laptop and used the internet.

The outlets are the key things if you want to be able to use you laptop all day so I suggest getting to class early to get a seat near an outlet. Also hang out in places on your breaks with ample plugs to get charged up.

daisy says thanks to sew12 for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:48 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellonewyork View Post
Right now, with wi-fi, my battery dies within 1 or 1.5 hrs.
How are the power outlets in the classrooms (like is there one every row, etc.)?
I want to know if I should get a new battery during the summer.

Also, is there wi-fi in each classroom?
Not too sure about power outlets as I've never used them.

There is wi-fi in almost all the rooms I've had class in. Sometimes the signal is weak but you can still connect.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:49 PM   #4
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Totally depends per building. MDCL has wifi, and a few power outlets. BSB has wifi on the main floor, but the basement has no internet whatsoever...

Typically for lecture halls it will be hard to get a power outlet. You have to be early to class to get a seat thats near/beside an outlet, otherwise your outta luck. For tutorials, most are held in smaller classrooms where there are plenty of outlets available (but depending on the building, not always wifi available)

What faculty are you in?
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:49 PM   #5
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
Every classroom is pretty much different in respect to both.

Some classrooms have a ton of outlets and they are spaced well. I know one classroom in the Degroote annex basement or whatever has like two plugs between every few seats in every row. Other classrooms though have only a few plugs scattered along the walls. It's best to show up early to any class if you depend on having an outlet to sit near.

As for wi-fi some classrooms have it, some don't. MDCL for example has wi-fi available all over. In Arts Quad though wi-fi isn't available in every class. The big classroom on the main level of TSH for example, 120 doesn't have wi-fi.

It's hit or miss.

Having wi-fi in class is more distracting than anything else though. Paid much less attention in first year when I had my afternoon classes in MDCL and I brought my laptop and used the internet.

The outlets are the key things if you want to be able to use you laptop all day so I suggest getting to class early to get a seat near an outlet. Also hang out in places on your breaks with ample plugs to get charged up.
Actually, depending on where you sit you may get a weak signal in TSH 120. I was able to connect a couple times.
Old 07-02-2009 at 12:50 PM   #6
hellonewyork

Liked: 27 Times

I'm in Life Sci.

I guess wi-fi is not as important.
So I should be charging up or minimizing usage as much as I can, huh?
Old 07-02-2009 at 01:01 PM   #7
sew12
Elite Member

Liked: 473 Times

You could try adjusting your power settings for your laptop to power saving mode or something like that. Basically turning down the brightness of screen and lowering the performance of your laptop will conserve your battery power. I know my laptop has options like this but I don't know what kind you have. If you're just typing notes setting it at a lower but comfortable brightness and lowering the performance should be fine.

Also you could try alternative options. You could purchase a 2nd battery or you could buy some sort of external charger/power source you can use with your laptop.
Old 07-02-2009 at 02:13 PM   #8
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
BSB has wifi on the main floor, but the basement has no internet whatsoever...
After walking around the basement for 30 minutes with my laptop, I actually found one spot that you can get internet access. You can connect to the internet if you are across the bathrooms (near the Phi Help Room). I was very happy when I found the spot

daisy says thanks to rrtt for this post.
Old 07-02-2009 at 02:17 PM   #9
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

McMaster is terrible for availability of outlets. Most lecture rooms have only 2 or three outlets in the entire hall, which are normally taken by projectors... same with the newer buildings. Finding outlets outside the lecture halls is usually difficult too.

It amazes me how whoever planned out the newer buildings completely forgot that students have laptops and that laptops typically don't have batteries that can sustain a current forever...
Old 07-02-2009 at 03:03 PM   #10
zango
Elite Member

Liked: 86 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
It amazes me how whoever planned out the newer buildings completely forgot that students have laptops and that laptops typically don't have batteries that can sustain a current forever...
haha, damn engineers
Old 07-02-2009 at 03:29 PM   #11
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zango View Post
haha, damn engineers
I know right?! Worst faculty in the school... think they're so much better than everyone else... someone should go graffiti JHE
Old 07-02-2009 at 04:08 PM   #12
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sew12 View Post
The big classroom on the main level of TSH for example, 120 doesn't have wi-fi.
Haha, I had a couple of classes in there last year. My friends and I would always complain that there wasn't any wi-fi. Then, on the last day of class, it appeared! It was strange and didn't make us feel any better haha.

It's kind of nice to have wi-fi in class, but sort of not. People just watch videos and go on facebook all the time which is distracting. I'm really tempted myself if the lecture is really boring or dry. One of my profs last year, Dr. Fetner had a fit and basically said that if she ever caught someone doing other than notes for her lecture, she'd ban laptops in her class. So be careful.
Old 07-02-2009 at 04:17 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
Haha, I had a couple of classes in there last year. My friends and I would always complain that there wasn't any wi-fi. Then, on the last day of class, it appeared! It was strange and didn't make us feel any better haha.

It's kind of nice to have wi-fi in class, but sort of not. People just watch videos and go on facebook all the time which is distracting. I'm really tempted myself if the lecture is really boring or dry. One of my profs last year, Dr. Fetner had a fit and basically said that if she ever caught someone doing other than notes for her lecture, she'd ban laptops in her class. So be careful.
Can she actually ban laptops?
Old 07-02-2009 at 04:39 PM   #14
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
That's what we were wondering. I mean, we pay to be there right. She told us that she knew other professors who did it. So who knows.
Old 07-02-2009 at 05:06 PM   #15
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
A few of my commerce professors banned laptops from the room. They seem to be allowed to do it.