MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Overloading Chris094 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 9 01-26-2010 01:17 PM
Overloading Courses Goce Academics 4 01-05-2010 11:10 PM
Requirement for Overloading PTGregD Academics 13 06-09-2009 11:13 AM

Overloading

Old 12-09-2009 at 04:47 PM   #16
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
no. I'm helping you the only way anyone should help you.

If you actually try adding the course and it doesn't let you, obviously you would need permission.

You could have skipped the step of making this thread if you just tried to add the course.

Now, why even make this thread in the first place?
You can just ask an academic advisor your question. it's a weekday. they're open.
You just don't pay attention to anyone but yourself. I was never confused on whether I needed permission or not, I already knew that beforehand. Above all, I wanted to know if it is very doable to overload by asking about members' experiences. Yeah, I could ask an academic advisor for every single little thing - but have you considered that I don't always have the time to go up to McMaster, and wait there when I could get a reply in minutes on MacInsiders? This is what MacInsiders is for, quick and mostly reliable information, plus the personal level of hearing about others experiences.

You are NOT helping me at all, and you have rarely, if not ever contributed anything useful to these forums. Do me a favour and just quit it.

manu says thanks to feonateresa for this post.

Old 12-09-2009 at 04:50 PM   #17
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Liked: 142 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
You just don't pay attention to anyone but yourself. I was never confused on whether I needed permission or not, I already knew that beforehand. Above all, I wanted to know if it is very doable to overload by asking about members' experiences. Yeah, I could ask an academic advisor for every single little thing - but have you considered that I don't always have the time to go up to McMaster, and wait there when I could get a reply in minutes on MacInsiders? This is what MacInsiders is for, quick and mostly reliable information, plus the personal level of hearing about others experiences.

You are NOT helping me at all, and you have rarely, if not ever contributed anything useful to these forums. Do me a favour and just quit it.
first of all. you might not need permission to overload. where did you hear this? You not even spending 1 minute on MUGSI trying just says something about your reliance on second hand information.

secondly, have you ever used a phone before?

MacInsiders is for quick and reliable information? wtf.

If you just called them you could have had your answer which would have been both quick and reliable.

No, you're right, second hand info is so reliable.
Old 12-09-2009 at 04:53 PM   #18
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

FireDragoonX, please do us a favour and grow up. If you don't have anything useful to write, then don't write at all!!
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:00 PM   #19
feonateresa
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDragoonX View Post
first of all. you might not need permission to overload. where did you hear this? You not even spending 1 minute on MUGSI trying just says something about your reliance on second hand information.

secondly, have you ever used a phone before?

MacInsiders is for quick and reliable information? wtf.

If you just called them you could have had your answer which would have been both quick and reliable.

No, you're right, second hand info is so reliable.
Before I started this thread, I searched for the forums for threads on overloading. Another thread, several people stated that they couldn't add another course if they tried. I also checked McMaster's website and saw the requirements for overloading in the past - so I already knew for a fact. Why don't you try checking the facts before shooting your mouth off.

Yeah, that's true that I could have called them, I hadn't even thought about that. However, in the past, McMaster and the phone thing never work well, they never answer or you have to wait a long time. Plus, starting threads lets everybody else see and have access to the same information.

What I don't understand, is why YOU'RE here if you hate the very concept that MacInsiders was founded upon. You're just here to piss people off which is completely asinine and gains you no respect.
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:07 PM   #20
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
Before I started this thread, I searched for the forums for threads on overloading. Another thread, several people stated that they couldn't add another course if they tried. I also checked McMaster's website and saw the requirements for overloading in the past - so I already knew for a fact. Why don't you try checking the facts before shooting your mouth off.
Why don't you actually TRY going on MUGSI and adding an extra course? Do this for me and tell me what it says.
CHECK YOUR OWN FACTS.

Quote:
Yeah, that's true that I could have called them, I hadn't even thought about that. However, in the past, McMaster and the phone thing never work well, they never answer or you have to wait a long time. Plus, starting threads lets everybody else see and have access to the same information.
Whenever I phone it goes straight through.
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:12 PM   #21
feonateresa
Elite Member

"You have selected more course units than allowed. Your unit load maximum for the current session is: 30.0"

There you go. I already knew this would happen. You must be lucky if it always goes straight through, because it's never the case for me. Anyway, that was a sufficient waste of my time.
Old 12-09-2009 at 05:16 PM   #22
FireDragoonX
Elite Member

Quote:
"You have selected more course units than allowed. Your unit load maximum for the current session is: 30.0"

There you go. I already knew this would happen. You must be lucky if it always goes straight through, because it's never the case for me. Anyway, that was a sufficient waste of my time.
okay good.

now you can make this thread.

OVERLOAD
  • Fall/Winter Session: Normally students may not register in more than 30 units during the Fall/Winter Session (33 units for students in Music I). A student with outstanding deferred examinations or incomplete term-work will not be permitted to overload in the following term. Students may take an overload up to six units under the following circumstances:
  1. if a student has a Sessional Average of at least 7.0 in the immediately preceding review period; or
  2. if the student is registered in the final Level of his/her program.
  • Spring/Summer Session: Students wishing to register in more than 12 units during the Spring/Summer Session or more than six units in either term of that Session, may do so only with the permission of the Office of the Dean and Associate Dean of Humanities.
Old 12-09-2009 at 09:13 PM   #23
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Wow, artsies have it tough.

(I don't mean to use the term derogatorily, but I just don't know what to call everyone who's not an Engineer.)

I'm taking 37 units this year. It's about the average Eng workload, but when I wanted to add a four-unit course next term SOLAR wouldn't let me do so. It was neat to find out that my maximum load was 40 units though, so I could have actually taken an extra three-unit course without a problem.

I went to the Eng Student Services office though, and just filled out a simple sheet asking for my name, student number, ID, and number of units I wanted to go over. I asked the receptionist if I should expect an email or something, and she said no, just try again later in the afternoon.

Lo and behold, later that afternoon, I was able to add the course without a problem. A much simpler process than I'd imagined. I guess the dropout rate needs a little boost. =\