MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Med Rad acceptance Lizliz1309 Introduce Yourself 2 01-03-2014 11:19 AM
Level 2 program acceptance? (2011/2012) bluu First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 01-02-2012 08:17 AM
2nd year program acceptance MarkS Academics 62 05-30-2011 02:06 PM
2nd Year Program Acceptance.. leemeiying Academics 1 05-30-2011 01:20 AM
Co-op Acceptance RankNullity Academics 14 05-18-2011 09:29 PM

PA Program Acceptance

Old 11-01-2014 at 02:25 PM   #1
lyrycist

Liked: 0 Times

PA Program Acceptance
Hello!

I am a prospective student. I'm currently in my 2nd year of a BA in Social Sciences and I'm thinking of applying to the PA program. I am also 33 and am a single parent of a 6 year old, so I'm not fresh out of high school and have worked in the medical field but on the administrative side of things.

I'd like to know the following:

Did anyone get into the PA program with the minimum 3.0 GPA? If so what made your application and MMI standout?

Does anyone have any recommendations for volunteer experience?

What of your experience in the 2nd year? What are the hours like? how much reading/study time is required to be successful in the 2nd year?

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-01-2014 at 02:52 PM   #2
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

I know virtually nothing about the PA program - so I will not even attempt to answer those questions - but I have been involved in several MMIs, on both sides of the equation (as the candidate and as an interviewer/actor).
Nobody knows what made their MMI "stand out" - they may have a "feeling" that something went well, but that's about it. You get absolutely no feedback from the interviewers (or actors), and you never find out what your score is. Also, there are many stations, so you can do amazing on some and awful on others. I would suggest reading up on what the MMI entails, and going through some of the published examples of MMI scenarios. There is usually not a specific response that they are looking for, but there are definitely things they're looking to make sure you DON'T do. For example, if the scenario involves a conflict between yourself and the actor, they don't want to see you get mad and/or blame the actor - that should hopefully be common sense. The MMI primarily judges soft skills and ethics.

The best advice I can give is for you to be calm, well-spoken, empathic, describe your thoughts in a clear, logical and easy to follow manner, and show that you're confident but not arrogant. It is easy to tell you to do those things, but it is much harder to do when you're in such a stressful situation.

That's pretty much all I can say about the MMI - you have to sign confidentiality agreements (even if you're a candidate). In terms of your other questions about the program, since it's relatively small, you probably won't hear from many people on MI who have gone through the program - contacting the admissions people and/or going to a program info session might be more helpful, to get a wider range of opinions. Good luck!

lyrycist says thanks to starfish for this post.

Annie likes this.