MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lot M Issues webzn General Discussion 4 09-11-2009 10:10 AM
Parent Information Form Due August 31st feonateresa MacInsiders Announcements 35 08-23-2009 03:15 PM
Parent Information Form? Daman K First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 08-20-2009 10:47 AM
Parent Information Form shleyaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 15 07-28-2009 08:43 PM
Parent Info Form scott000 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-30-2007 09:49 PM

Parent issues

Old 03-25-2011 at 08:27 PM   #16
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

My mother was reluctant about me living on rez but I was still going to go live there until something came up at the last moment and we decided on off-campus. I was really disappointed, since I thought the rez experience is all that and more.

However, after having lived off-campus...I can honestly say that it's better than on rez. Residences seem to be noisier, and if you're sharing with someone, full of unannounced visitors that you can't get rid of since they're not yours. If you're looking for a place where you can live and study (rather than studying in a library), then I wouldn't suggest on campus. Though you may be 'guaranteed a spot on rez because of your excellent grades', it still doesn't mean it's a spot which YOU want - it just means you're guaranteed a bed anywhere they can fit it in. So don't bank on a single room.

That (preaching) said and done, I would suggest living alone/away from home rather than commuting. Though it might be more relaxing to be at home, you still won't actually be in the real world until you're fending for yourself and stuff.

My two cents, I might be drastically wrong about a couple points since I've never entered a res building and am basing everything I said on what my friends who live on campus have told me.
Old 03-25-2011 at 10:20 PM   #17
Nort

Liked: 18 Times

Tell your Mom that you are relieved you won't have to deal with a room mate in the dorm cramping your style when you want to have sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend. Off campus is great, private rooms on the cheap.

She will shove you into rez and sign you up for to one of those 3-4 person units (guaranteed one person will be a videogame addict who never leaves the room, yet mysteriously sticks around for second semester)

Old 03-26-2011 at 02:51 AM   #18
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by zunihossain View Post
Did anyone else have trouble convincing parents to let you move into res? If so, how'd you deal with that? thanks

You're 18 you should be able to do whatever the hell you want. Take some responsibility on yourself
Old 03-26-2011 at 05:35 AM   #19
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajas View Post
You're 18 you should be able to do whatever the hell you want. Take some responsibility on yourself
Thats really gona convince his mom

for me i told me parents I can save the time commuting with studying and how good it is to leave near uni weather in res or off campus and they agree that i can go off campus
Old 03-26-2011 at 09:07 AM   #20
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
Thats really gona convince his mom
It worked for me. If your parents are not paying for your education you should be able to make your own decisions. If they are supporting you it is in their best interest that their money is not going to go down the drain.
Old 03-26-2011 at 10:30 AM   #21
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times

My mother is very over protective but she was fine with me going on rez. Tell your mother rez isn't like what you see in the movies.
Old 03-26-2011 at 10:56 AM   #22
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Let her know that Mac really doesn't like calling snowdays even when all the schools in the city are closed and that's why commuting REALLY sucks.

Moo!io likes this.
Old 03-28-2011 at 06:28 PM   #23
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

I think Maclean and Landry both said that the only reason why we didn't have a snow day is because someone announced it late.
Old 03-28-2011 at 08:33 PM   #24
eullwm
Elite Member

Liked: 221 Times

Quote:
Yea i also have the u of t issue, they just don't want me to leave home. The problem is i got into uoft engineering as well and they are just not letting it go, guilt tripping and all that -.- I can always leave forcefully but just doesn't seem like the right thing to do.
That's not a problem at all. Go there instead of this dump.

Old 03-29-2011 at 12:19 AM   #25
zunihossain

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eullwm View Post
That's not a problem at all. Go there instead of this dump.
What's so bad about mac engineering? :/
Old 03-29-2011 at 02:58 AM   #26
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
nothing hes just trolling
Old 03-29-2011 at 06:27 AM   #27
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

Quote:
Old 03-29-2011
eullwm
This message has been removed by a moderator. .