MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Faculty and Program Series Part Seven: Medical Radiation Sciences Program jhan523 Faculty & Program Series 1 09-05-2009 12:53 AM
Faculty and Program Series Part Two: The Indigenous Studies Program lorend Faculty & Program Series 9 08-24-2009 02:56 PM
HSR bus pass -full time /part time student macculkin General Discussion 9 04-20-2009 06:45 PM

part time job and life sci program?

Old 08-08-2010 at 04:33 PM   #1
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 1 Time

part time job and life sci program?
I'd like to know if the workload is bearable when you're in life sci and you have a part time job? Thatll be basically my situation in the fall. Everyweekend I plan to come home to keep my job. I live in toronto btw ( I heard life sci workload is relatively heavier than other programs)
Commentss from upper years that can relate are highly appreciated!
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:35 PM   #2
fall3n

Foolish girl...
(Dip)
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:43 PM   #3
m0nica
Account Disabled by User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall3n View Post
Foolish girl...
(Dip)
You are a mean man! Lol
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:46 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

I wouldn't do it.

You'll be wasting about 2 hours to work in Toronto. Are they compensating you for the cost and time of commuting? Probably not. Why not find a job in Hamilton?

Old 08-08-2010 at 04:49 PM   #5
bcars
Elite Member

Liked: 286 Times

Try to find a job on campus. I recommend looking at jobs with the MSU, followed by jobs in the surrounding area. Start looking now though, since a lot of students will be clamoring for a job.
Old 08-08-2010 at 04:52 PM   #6
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Working part-time with a Life Sci courseload is definitely doable, however it will be a huge pain/inconvenience to have to go home to Toronto every weekend to work. If you really need a job, maybe look into the work-study program on campus--you have to demonstrate financial need, but it can't hurt to apply and see what happens! There are also other job opportunities on campus/nearby that don't require you to demonstrate financial need.
Old 08-08-2010 at 08:24 PM   #7
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

It's doable but it's a big commitment that you might not be ready to handle. If you're in first year, I wouldn't suggest this.
Old 08-08-2010 at 09:00 PM   #8
TheCheese

Liked: 19 Times

I would definitely NOT recommend working during First Year Life Sci. As some others mentioned, its doable... but unless you have some seriously amazing time-management skills (and I mean like, you NEVER procrastinate even for a few hours) and don't plan on having any kind of social life, your marks will suffer big-time.

You need to decide if lower grades and the cost of commuting to Toronto every weekend for a few hours of pay is worth the little bit of money you'll make (and remember that your grades are worth their weight in gold if you're planning on any kind of post-graduate study).
Old 08-08-2010 at 10:54 PM   #9
Jason036

Liked: 25 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0nica View Post
I'd like to know if the workload is bearable when you're in life sci and you have a part time job? Thatll be basically my situation in the fall. Everyweekend I plan to come home to keep my job. I live in toronto btw ( I heard life sci workload is relatively heavier than other programs)
Commentss from upper years that can relate are highly appreciated!
I am starting Life Science this September...I'm planning on working only about 10 hours a week, just because I know the workload is going to be ridiculous first year.