MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Our marks are up!!!! nessa18 Academics 117 06-08-2010 01:11 PM
Marks Are Up! Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 05-30-2010 09:49 AM
If you want your marks! kanishka Academics 30 05-29-2010 12:43 PM
Class participation--i clicker kanishka Academics 1 11-20-2009 08:54 AM
Are we not required to go to class for participation marks? Hallandale General Discussion 11 11-02-2009 12:00 AM

Participation Marks?

Old 08-26-2010 at 01:16 PM   #1
ShesTheMan

Liked: 0 Times

Participation Marks?
So I've realized that we receive marks based on our participation in tutorials/lectures/or however it works. I was wondering how do our profs keep track of who's participating and how do they mark us?
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:29 PM   #2
ikantsepll
J's Prince

Liked: 607 Times

If you're wondering about the 10% participation mark in first year psych, the TA (teaching assistant) who runs the tutorial keeps track of how much you participate (since its only about 30 students each slot) and gives you a mark out of 10 (you also send a self evaluation of what you think you deserve). Pretty easy to get 10/10 on that as long as you attempt to participate at least a couple times each tutorial (TAs ask lots of easy questions).
Old 08-26-2010 at 01:41 PM   #3
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

There are also iClickers for in class participation.

Tutorial participation is always marked by TAs.
Old 08-26-2010 at 02:11 PM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

lol, i participated once in a tutorial and got 9/10.

Old 08-26-2010 at 02:34 PM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

Most of the TAs/profs (in smaller courses only) I've had grade participation on 50% attendance and the remaining 50% on how often you speak up/answer questions in class.

That's something you can ask the first day of tutorial/class.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 08-26-2010 at 02:54 PM   #6
macsci
Elite Member

Liked: 93 Times

If you make any moderate attempt at asking/answering questions, then you will get your full participation marks in Psych 1X series.
Old 08-26-2010 at 04:13 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesTheMan View Post
So I've realized that we receive marks based on our participation in tutorials/lectures/or however it works. I was wondering how do our profs keep track of who's participating and how do they mark us?
It can vary from course to course. Usually you get participation marks in tutorials, where it's pretty easy for the TA to keep track of who is attending and who is speaking up/contributing to discussions. Some classes also give participation marks for certain ELM postings (now Avenue postings, I guess). For larger classes that don't have tutorials, online postings and iClicker questions are pretty much the only way of giving participation marks.