MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Participation Marks? ShesTheMan First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 6 08-26-2010 04:13 PM
Do non-required summer marks count in your cumulative average? killza Academics 4 08-05-2010 11:24 AM
ECON 1B03, need to switch afternoon class for the morning class. Sintos Academics 3 01-06-2010 05:12 PM
Class participation--i clicker kanishka Academics 1 11-20-2009 08:54 AM
Laptop Required in class? kanishka General Discussion 38 07-13-2009 05:16 PM

Are we not required to go to class for participation marks?

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:20 PM   #1
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

Are we not required to go to class for participation marks?
In tonight's SRA meeting, someone (I can't remember exactly) said something about students not having to attend classes where participation marks are a factor, having to do with not crossing the picket lines. Does anyone know if this is printed anywhere? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:24 PM   #2
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallandale View Post
In tonight's SRA meeting, someone (I can't remember exactly) said something about students not having to attend classes where participation marks are a factor, having to do with not crossing the picket lines. Does anyone know if this is printed anywhere? Thanks.
This is in the McMaster Student code of conduct.

Essentially, if you support the strike and choose to not attend class because you don't want to cross the picket line, you can't be penalized for it.

Last edited by Taunton : 11-01-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:28 PM   #3
Hallandale

Liked: 16 Times

You can be penalized for it?

I just looked briefly through the code and I didn't see anything, do you know specifically what section it was outlined in?

Old 11-01-2009 at 11:34 PM   #4
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallandale View Post
You can be penalized for it?

I just looked briefly through the code and I didn't see anything, do you know specifically what section it was outlined in?
My apologies, you can't be penalized.

Thanks for pointing out the typo. I can look it up for you... give me a few minutes.
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:36 PM   #5
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

can we not be penalized for participation classes? or missing any work?
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:41 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Here's the link to the policy title... it's not useful, but I can't find a copy of the actual policy:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/senate/student/stoppage.htm
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:44 PM   #7
andrew22
Account Locked

there should be a chat.

and cause ive got this paper due - but i wanna keep solidarity and all

anyone else just hear that helicopter?

edit : (k thanks, I've been looking too and havn't found anyhting)
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:44 PM   #8
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
can we not be penalized for participation classes? or missing any work?
I think it's just participation... you can't refuse to do work in general I don't think. I'm going to keep trying to find an actual copy of the policy and we'll know for sure!
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:46 PM   #9
smiles

Liked: 20 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew22 View Post
there should be a chat.

and cause ive got this paper due - but i wanna keep solidarity and all

anyone else just hear that helicopter?

edit : (k thanks, I've been looking too and havn't found anyhting)
Yeah... it was really loud
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:52 PM   #10
sinsintome

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles View Post
Yeah... it was really loud
omg, that was a helicopter? i thought someone was messing around in their backyard close to my window.

DDD:
Old 11-01-2009 at 11:54 PM   #11
andrew22
Account Locked

hey sasha grey, yah I think it was a helicopter?
Old 11-02-2009 at 12:00 AM   #12
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Here's the link to the policy title... it's not useful, but I can't find a copy of the actual policy:

http://www.mcmaster.ca/senate/student/stoppage.htm
If you scroll down the policy is there, there's 5 points....

RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS
DURING WORK STOPPAGES THAT SUBSTANTIALLY
DISRUPT ACADEMIC ACTIVITIES

The University recognizes that a work stoppage involving University employees that substantially disrupts academic activities may have a significant impact on the ability of students to carry out their studies. The University also recognizes the need to treat students fairly and equitably, and at the same time, to protect the academic integrity of the University's courses and programmes.

Once a disruption is declared by the University:

1. Students shall be kept informed in a timely manner of any changes to the course requirements and the rescheduling of any academic activities. If accommodations to course requirements are made with the agreement of both the instructor(s) and student(s), the alternate arrangements cannot be reversed without the agreement of both parties.

2. Students may be unable, or may choose not to, participate in academic activities during a work stoppage; in such cases students shall not be penalized academically. Nevertheless, students remain responsible for meeting course requirements. Students, therefore, have a right to extended deadlines, make-up tests and assignments, reasonable alternative access to course materials, and/or other special arrangements as may be appropriate.

3. Course withdrawal deadlines (academic and financial) shall be suspended during a disruption, and extended until one week after the end of a disruption, whether or not the withdrawal deadline has passed, and, in any event, no later than the first day of the Test and Examination ban.

4. Students may not have the same learning experience during a disruption; however, the University will make every effort to provide the highest quality of education possible at that time.

5. A student who considers that a disruption has unreasonably affected his/her grade in a course may appeal the grade in accordance with the procedures described in the Student Appeal Procedures. Any time limit specified in the Student Appeal Procedures that occurs during a disruption shall be extended accordingly.

Hallandale, manu, Taunton all say thanks to Maegs for this post.