MacInsiders Logo

Pedophiles

Old 10-16-2010 at 07:56 PM   #16
REPLEKIA/.
Community Engagement Officer

Liked: 447 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entropy View Post
Ephebophila is a term that many neglect or are unaware of. We need to keep it distinct from pedophilia.

I think it's fine considering people begin/are in the process of their sexual maturity at that age. Considering how fast girls seem to be growing up these days though (Miley...!), it's something that can't really be helped.
While I do agree with you strongly on this one, pedophilia in a legal sense, with canada, just involves sexual preference for minors (under 18).

right from your article: However, the term pedophilia is commonly used to refer to any sexual interest in minors below the legal age of consent, regardless of their level of physical, mental, or psychological development.[6] Acting upon ephebophilic preference can be illegal, for example, when the adolescent is below the legal age of consent.
Old 10-16-2010 at 08:20 PM   #17
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replekia View Post
While I do agree with you strongly on this one, pedophilia in a legal sense, with canada, just involves sexual preference for minors (under 18).

right from your article: However, the term pedophilia is commonly used to refer to any sexual interest in minors below the legal age of consent, regardless of their level of physical, mental, or psychological development.[6] Acting upon ephebophilic preference can be illegal, for example, when the adolescent is below the legal age of consent.
You're right too, but just to clarify (and from the articles you linked):

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Wikipedia
The Tackling Violent Crime Act took effect on 1 May 2008, raising the age of consent to 16 from 14.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of...America#Canada
Old 10-16-2010 at 09:16 PM   #18
xxsumz
Radiates Awesomeness

Liked: 333 Times

Woah, Weird thread. But whenever I think if pedophiles I think of:

_Luu_ likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 10:14 PM   #19
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

Everyone Here Was Trolled And I Didnt Even Do Anything Yet

mohammyt likes this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 10:14 PM   #20
mohammyt

Liked: 103 Times

pictar somewhat related to thread

youtube

xxsumz says thanks to mohammyt for this post.

Desda, Rakim, marcie, SilentWalker like this.
Old 10-16-2010 at 10:14 PM   #21
Freija
Elite Member

Liked: 384 Times

wow way to filter out my caps i sound like a dumbass now
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:02 AM   #22
Desda
Elite Member

Liked: 335 Times

Erm, I agree with what Stephen (Entropy) said.

Entropy says thanks to Desda for this post.
Old 10-17-2010 at 03:54 AM   #23
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

HI guyss dnt hate k thx bai
Old 10-17-2010 at 09:44 AM   #24
AelyaS
Fitzgerald groupie

Liked: 521 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentWalker View Post
True and true. Miley went from eww to 'I'd tap that'.

I'm sorry, but that will never happen. EVER.
Old 10-17-2010 at 10:02 AM   #25
bloodywarz
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freija View Post
wow way to filter out my caps i sound like a dumbass now
oh dun worry you sound like one either way ^^
Old 10-17-2010 at 12:36 PM   #26
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Paedophiles =/= child molesters; not all of them act upon their desires.. I would say that these feelings are largely out of the control of the person who has them, whether it be something they're born with, or what become a part of their preferences. I'm not saying its acceptable, but try to be understanding/sympathetic!

Its interesting to watch how perceptions of paraphilias change over time without anyone ever really realizing that the norms they accept today were unheard of just a decade ago. This is arguably one of the only one of any consequence though, since it involves a power relationship inequality (adult vs child).

Srs topic is srs.
Old 10-17-2010 at 01:39 PM   #27
jordan19

Liked: 19 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrw88 View Post
Paedophiles =/= child molesters; not all of them act upon their desires.. I would say that these feelings are largely out of the control of the person who has them, whether it be something they're born with, or what become a part of their preferences. I'm not saying its acceptable, but try to be understanding/sympathetic!

Its interesting to watch how perceptions of paraphilias change over time without anyone ever really realizing that the norms they accept today were unheard of just a decade ago. This is arguably one of the only one of any consequence though, since it involves a power relationship inequality (adult vs child).

Srs topic is srs.
12characters
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pedo_Bear_Want_some_candy_by_Blink1972.jpg (118.0 KB, 31 views)
Old 10-17-2010 at 05:56 PM   #28
TheBrickWall
Elite Member

Liked: 46 Times

they're minors
that's just wrong.
Old 10-17-2010 at 07:07 PM   #29
dmzz
Polymath extraordinaire.

Liked: 51 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by david.p92 View Post
they're minors
that's just wrong.
They are minors in Canadian standards. Nevermind that of the age we live in. I by no means support the act, but I feel an undying need to respond when someone makes a asinine comment as you did. Think about the context of what you are saying before you say it. Yes it may be "just wrong" but consider not only what we consider the "adult" age to be compared to the 150+ other countries in the world, nevertheless the concept of a "minor".

Old 10-17-2010 at 07:43 PM   #30
SilentWalker
∞/0? Only I know.

Liked: 202 Times

That's true. The Western definition of a 'minor' is a relatively new concept. In many cultures, past and present, marriage is permitted once the person hits the age of puberty, which means an average of about 13-14 years of age. My great-granparents got married at the age of 11 and 13. That was just under 100 years ago. It was prominent in the Egyptian and Arabian empire, and many others for tens of thousands of years. Basically, it was the norm or the majority of the world's population.

It was only recently, with the British colonization of the New World, that the 'rules' were rewritten and considered to be the standard, and with it the new definition of a 'minor'. And this is one thing that disgusts me with the Western civilization: we're the most recent addition to the world population (the most recently developed), with the customs and traditions in other lands existing for thousands of years before, but yet we feel as if they're the ones who're straying from the norm. We go to Saudi, or Africa, or India, and heard about their customs and this 'What the hell is all this weirdness, why can't they just be normal?'. And the media encourages it. Just because a lot of them aren't as technologically advanced, or don't encourage as much freedom (mainly homosexuality, and premarital relationships), they're primitive. It really disgusts me.

Last edited by SilentWalker : 10-17-2010 at 07:49 PM.

bloodywarz, dmzz like this.