Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tips on writing essays and papers Kathy2 Academics 0 10-28-2009 01:13 PM

The Pentagon Papers

Old 06-16-2011 at 03:29 AM   #1
RonPrice

Liked: 16 Times

The Pentagon Papers
The New York Times began publishing excerpts of what came to be known as the Pentagon Papers on 13 June 1971. The first article in the series was titled "Vietnam Archive: Pentagon Study Traces Three Decades of Growing US Involvement". The name Pentagon Papers arose during the resulting media publicity. Street protests, political controversy and lawsuits followed helping to bring the war in Vietnam to an end.

On 30 June 1971 the Supreme Court decided that the press of the nation had been prevented from publishing this important document. Five days later, as precisely as I can calculate after the passing of 40 years, my first wife and I flew from Canada to Australia to take up teaching positions in Whyalla South Australia and help with the teaching work in the last years of the Baha’i Nine Year Plan: 1964 to 1973.

Today I was reflecting on the 40th anniversary of the release of these excerpts of the Pentagon Papers. The National Archives and Records Administration announced that the Papers would be declassified and released, all 7000 pages, to the Richard Nixon Presidential Library and Museum in Yorba Linda, California yesterday, on 13 June 2011. The papers were also released to the Nixon, Kennedy, and LBJ Libraries, as well as the Archives office in Bethesda, Maryland. The full release was coordinated by the Archives' National Declassification Centre as a special project to mark the anniversary of the report. –Ron Price with thanks to Wikipedia, 14 June 2011.

I was really too busy to take it all in1
back then in the last half of June ’71.
That encyclopaedic history of the war
in Viet-Nam in 7000 pages-47 volumes
written while I was selling ice-cream,
teaching Inuit kids, and then recovering
from teaching Inuit kids, then driving an
armoured truck, doing security work and
finally teaching in that primary school in a
Cherry Valley southern Ontario. They were
all pioneering ventures from home towns
in the Golden Horseshoe so very long ago.

1 In June 1971 Daniel Ellsberg leaked this top-secret study of US decision-making in Vietnam. The documents became known as the Pentagon Papers. At the time, Ellsberg was a top US military analyst employed by the RAND Corporation & he and the Pentagon papers were just names in the news.

Ron Price
14 June 2011

Last edited by RonPrice : 06-16-2011 at 03:29 AM. Reason: to add some words
Old 06-16-2011 at 09:01 AM   #2
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times

Who the hell is Ron Price??

Last edited by Eternal Fire : 06-16-2011 at 09:22 AM.
Old 06-16-2011 at 09:17 AM   #3
tyrant
Account Locked

Liked: 121 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternal Fire View Post
Who the he'll is Ron Price??
It says mcmaster alumni, show some respect dude.

xFLY likes this.