MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FRENCH 1Z06, BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE FRENCH I - good elective? MaddySzl14 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 3 03-13-2013 10:26 PM
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM

For people who have taken French 1Z06..?

Old 04-30-2014 at 12:42 PM   #1
kaytuh

Liked: 6 Times

For people who have taken French 1Z06..?
How did you find the course? Last time I took french was in grade 9 so would that be fine or would I find this course a little difficult?
As well, if anyone knows any other easy elective courses I can take, I'm open to all recommendations.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2014 at 11:26 PM   #2
pizzaslice

Liked: 3 Times

The course is easy in terms of there not being a lot of homework and no readings.
The course is broken down into two tests throughout the year and two exams during each exam period.
BUT it is only easy if you are good at memorizing large sums of information. The final exam is based on the material from the beginning of the year. It can be very difficult trying to remember so much information, and thats why not too many people do well. It depends on your skill sets, but I would not recommend it if you wanted to do well. It is a good course in terms of not having a lot of work, but once the tests and exams come around, you could be in trouble

kaytuh says thanks to pizzaslice for this post.
Old 05-01-2014 at 10:55 AM   #3
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

We start from learning about etre and avoir. After each class, there is homework assigned and the instructor said to do the homework before the next class because things build on each other. So as long as you do the homework before the next class and you spend some time memorizing during these homework times, then it's okay. If you try to do the homework right before the tests, it will be really stressful. All her questions come out of the workbook but she has a lot of questions so don't take it too lightly.

Keep it slow and steady and you will be fine even with grade 9 French. I took grade 10 French (didn't learn a thing in Gr 10 French btw, all I did was French crosswords) and I was fine. I would note that although it is tempting to skip class, I don't recommend it. You can definitely learn by yourself with the text but your learning becomes much more richer when you are in class because the instructor would ask questions and she would sometimes ask each student individually such as "conjugate the verb ______ in the present indicative". I really like her style of teaching because she would teach something, then ask students individually basic questions. When the questions were more challenging, she would ask to the whole class and students would raise their hand to answer. The participation in class makes learning it easier because French is meant to be spoken, not just read.

kaytuh says thanks to AnimeGamer31 for this post.