MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TRADE FRENCH 1Z06 for SPANISH 1Z06 PLZZZ Liz.enriquez Academics 0 09-16-2010 05:57 PM
French 1z06 and Spanish 1z06 (credit confusion) oli13 Academics 1 07-02-2010 04:48 PM
French 1Z06 bieneres Academics 12 12-16-2009 12:47 AM
1Z06 Beginner's Intensive Japanese Pay919 Academics 16 06-30-2008 01:33 AM

FRENCH 1Z06, BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE FRENCH I - good elective?

Old 03-12-2013 at 05:26 PM   #1
MaddySzl14

Liked: 2 Times

FRENCH 1Z06, BEGINNER'S INTENSIVE FRENCH I - good elective?
Hi everyone,

I've been looking into some different electives for first year and after reading about French 1Z06 I've been seriously considering this course. I stopped taking French after Grade 10 because I felt that the content wasn't helping me with my conversational french. I discovered this when I went on a trip to France with my school in Grade 10 and struggled with trying to construct my own sentences and keep up with conversation. In the French 1Z06 course review on macinsiders, I read that you practice speaking a lot and that this was beneficial since it helped you to think on the spot. Is that your experience of this course? I also read that the student who wrote the review found this course to be enjoyable and not too demanding of their time and skills. If I take this course, what I'm looking for is to reconstruct a good foundation of this language and that this elective wont be too difficult in terms of time commitment, homework, etc... If anyone can give their opinion of this course or confirm what I've read about it I would love you're input.

Thanks!

Maddy

alyssarr likes this.
Old 03-12-2013 at 05:57 PM   #2
Zebedee
Resident Artist

Liked: 244 Times

This is a good course.
The prof is very good (Prof Gallier-Morgan). The classes can begun repetitive, but you get a lot of one-on-one, so that's okay. All the questions on tests and exams come from a CD (yeah!) which you get with the textbook, but the software is very difficult to download and use. It doesn't work on most people's computers, but you can use the one's in the lab on campus.

MaddySzl14 says thanks to Zebedee for this post.
Old 03-13-2013 at 10:09 PM   #3
Bigmacfatpack

Liked: 13 Times

Hey, Im taking French 1Z06 this year. Definitely a WONDERFUL COURSE to take. It takes up 6 units, so you have it for 2 semesters. It's honestly amazing.
The prof, Madame Gallier-Morgan is one of the sweetest, most patient, most upbeat professors I have ever met. She has to be so patient to deal with our Canadian-accented French at primary school level, haha.
But yea, ALL the test and exam questions come from the CD (you actually have to put work into it)
And yes, I went to Quebec for 6 weeks last summer, and this course is helping regain/improve my French skills. It definitely hits on the basics. LOTS OF GRAMMAR. Not a lot of vocab.
KEY RULE: IF YOU PUT THE EFFORT INTO THIS COURSE, THE PROF IS SEE IT SHINE THROUGH AND WILL WHOLE-HEARTEDLY HELP YOU OUT.

MaddySzl14 says thanks to Bigmacfatpack for this post.

alyssarr, Zebedee like this.
Old 03-13-2013 at 10:26 PM   #4
MaddySzl14

Liked: 2 Times

Awesome! That sounds exactly like what I'd be looking to get out of the course, and the prof sounds wonderful. Thank you both for your responses, I really appreciate it - this was really helpful!!