MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laptop processor differences and Laptop opinions **jewel 03** Computers & Tech 42 10-30-2010 03:43 PM
Personal Washrooms nick Residence & Housing 8 09-19-2009 03:46 PM
Personal Timetable HELP !!!!! hamnahx02 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2009 02:46 PM
personal timetable!! ishk33 Academics 3 08-15-2008 10:53 AM
New Personal Finance Course Chad Academics 1 07-27-2007 03:35 PM

Personal Laptop Reviews

Old 06-24-2010 at 02:33 AM   #1
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Personal Laptop Reviews
Well considering we're well into summer and the incoming frosh might be starting to gear up for the new year, I thought a topic where we review the laptops we own might help people in making choices.

I came us with a simple format (just fill in the things you remember/can find online):

Quote:
Maker
Model
Price
Age (How long you've owned it)

Specs

Your Review of the laptop

Recommendation to others

bsteele likes this.
Old 06-24-2010 at 02:33 AM   #2
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Now to get things started...

Maker: Asus
Model: M50Vm-A1
Price: ~$1200

Specs:
2.26 Ghz Core 2 Duo
320 GB HDD
Windows Vista
15.4" (1440x900) Screen
Nvidia 9600M GS Video Card

Review:
I originally picked this laptop because I only wanted to have one computer on res and I wanted it to be somewhat portable while still capable of gaming. This laptop is perfect for that, the 9600M GS may be a step down from the cards dedicated gaming laptops and a bit dated but it can handle almost any modern game at decent settings. I've stopped PC gaming since first year though, which has really changed my opinion of this computer, it's still awesome, but the battery life sucks. I can get about an hour and a half out of it, maybe 2 hours if I put the brightness on the lowest setting, turn the CPU down, and close the lid to turn off the screen whenever I can. This just doesn't cut it for classes, sometimes I don't have time to charge it, other times I'll have a 3 hour night class and have to start taking notes on paper half-way through because the battery died. Overall, the laptop is solid for gaming, but it doesn't mix well with student life.

Recommendation to Others:
For anybody in my situation, just buy yourself a desktop and a netbook, for only a little bit more than I paid my laptop you can get a desktop that'll blow it away in specs and a netbook with 10+ hour battery life

Last edited by Tailsnake : 06-24-2010 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-24-2010 at 07:14 PM   #3
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Make: Lenovo
Model: T500
Price: $1250

Specs:
-Intel Core2Duo T9400 (2.53 GHz)
-4gb ddr3 RAM
-Win7 Ultimate 32
-160GB 7200rpm performance HDD
-Integrated Intel® GMA MA 4500 M HD + ATI 3650 on-the-fly switchable graphics
-15.4 (1280x800) screen
-bluetooth, fingerprint reader, DVD-writer, webcam, smartcard slot
-9-cell battery (approx 4-8 hours depending on settings)

Review:
Great laptop, if you dont mind the business aesthetics. Performance is far superior to most other laptops ive seen. Video card is decent, but not great for gaming. It is more designed for CAD applications. Battery life is fantastic, especially with the integrated graphics card (graphics cards can be switched with the click of a button) . Laptop has great passive cooling: its quiet and does not heat up much. The quality is very good. Keyboard has very little flex and monitor is mounted sturdily.

Recommendations:
Lenovo is one of the top manufactures of PCs. I would recommend either the T510 (T500's successor), the T410 (14 inch version) or the W510 (better performance and USB 3.0). Also wait for at LEAST 30% off. Deals change almost every day on the website.
Old 06-24-2010 at 07:36 PM   #4
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Maker: Sony Vaio
Model: VGN-NR330E
Price: $700-ish
Age (How long you've owned it): 2 years

Specs:
-1.73 GHz Intel Pentium T2370 dual-core processor, 160 GB hard drive, 2 GB RAM (max), 8x multi-format/dual-layer DVD drive
- 54g Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), 10/100 Ethernet, Intel X3100 video card with up to 358 MB of shared memory
- Connectivity: 4 USB, 1 FireWire, ExpressCard 34 slot, Memory Stick & SD readers

Your Review of the laptop:
I really like this laptop. I bought it because my older Acer laptop broke, and this is much better. I use it for basic tuff - schoolwork, browsing the internet, some games. The only problem I've ever had is that sometimes it freezes, to the point where I have to unplug it and remove the battery to restart. I don't know if that's a Windows thing or a Sony Vaio thing. Other than that, I love it. It's not too expensive and it works for what most people would use it for.

Recommendation to others:
I would recommend thing to anyone using it for the same reasons I am. It's a good, inexpensive laptop for homework and internet.

EDIT: I forgot the one major downfall of the laptop. The battery doesn't work anymore. At first, it lasted up to 3 hours - which is really good! Now, it doesn't last for more than 5 minutes without being plugged in. My warranty was only for one year and this started happening a few months ago. I haven't bothered to take it to get fixed. New batteries are like $300, so I might as well get a new laptop at that price.
I still love it, and I'd still recommend it (I'm sure it's just a fluke that mine is broken).

Last edited by Kathy2 : 06-24-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:10 PM   #5
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

I had a sony vaio, loved it. They are really thin, light, and powerful. The nice thing about the VAIO is the Xbrite screens.. they look sooo good and crystal clear vs any other laptop I've had (with exception of my new one the Dell XPS which has an LED screen which is super nice!). Sony is great quality, the only negatives I had was that it only had a reader on it for memory stick duo which is expensive and I dont have a sony camera to use that port on it..
Old 06-24-2010 at 08:25 PM   #6
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Whats the point?

I think it would be a better idea to make a topic with laptops reviews you can still buy in store, that way people can benefit from it
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:03 PM   #7
vkozina

Liked: 6 Times

Apple
MacBook Pro
I think it cam to about $2500 (grad/bday gift from parents so not sure)
15.4 inches
2GB RAM
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Shes a little over 2 years old and still running well. The battery has crapped out for the second time (first time I was able to get it replaced for free due to warranty)
It gets very hot as well when running things like internet games/ doing many things at once (having multiple programs open and such)
I've never had any real problems with it, other than the battery. When this one dies, I'll still get a mac
Old 06-24-2010 at 09:24 PM   #8
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

HP
TX2 -> Tablet
$1150
9 months

4GB RAM, Dual-Core AMD Turion 64, 500GB Hard drive, 12" screen, Multi-touch tablet screen!!!

Running windows 7, and I'm in Engineering. The laptop has helped me use SIGNIFICANTLY LESS PAPER than anyone else I know (that did well in engineering). No, writing isn't absolutely flawless like on paper, but it's really good. Use Microsoft OneNote to take all kinds of notes, organize them, and you can draw anything you need. In 2 weeks, you'll be proficient in moving paragraphs and content, rearranging content on your "paper" and organizing topics in classes. Then you can "print" the notes from the internet directly into OneNote.
With that said, the laptop is dual-core, so it's not slow. 4GB of RAM lets me multitask very well... In Eng, there's no shortage of PDF's, notes, online videos, online quizzes, etc. to be doing all at once.
I also enjoy movies, and when I'm not on my desktop, I use the laptop to download wirelessly, and watch any quality movie I wish (usually high quality).

People will tell you tablets are not helpful, they're glitchy, and all that jazz... I've use the same battery for a year now (obviously charging in there), and I've done every one of my classes on the tablet. I do not doubt that I saved $75-$125 in paper and ink, not to mention at least 500 pages of paper. I spent HALF of what a Mac costs, and I can do more than any silly iPad (So much more that it's not even funny...). I HIGHLY encourage this laptop! They're cheaper now (less than $1000), so pick one up: They're not outdated, and if you throw on a few years of warranty, you'll feel extra safe (like me), and you'll do really well because you're organized, and not using paper/ink/toner!

Good luck!
Old 06-24-2010 at 10:35 PM   #9
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Maker: Asus
Model: N50Vn
Price: ~1500

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core2Duo T9400 2.53Ghz
GPU: Nvidia 9650m GT
HDD: 320Gb Hitachi
Ram: 4GB Kingston
15.6" Chassis

I got this because I overestimated the demands of CAD programs and I wanted a desktop replacement.
I went for power for the budget I had and I don't recommend the path I chose. The system is good for everything I do, from gaming to watching HD movies. One setback, its bulky, and thus, a normal 15" laptop sleeve doesnt fit this thing. Also, the battery is crap, solely because of the processor and the graphics card.

To sum everything up:

If your going for power, have a power outlet by you.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Last edited by Boolean : 06-24-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:01 PM   #10
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Dell
Studio XPS 1640
$1'250.00
1 Year

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600
4GB DDR3 Ram
HD WLED LCD with camera
320GB Hard Drive @ 7200rpm
64-bit Windows Vista Ultimate (now windows 7)
8x +/- DVD RW
High Def Audio 2.0
Intel WiFi Link 5300
56 WHr 6-cell battery
2- year warranty
370 Bluetooth
Multicard reader
512MB Video Card

It's a great laptop. Pretty sleek, very powerfull, good for games and has very fast start up with windows 7.
Problems are: 2.5 hrs max battery (on power saver for notes).
-Had to send it once in for repair (hardware screen messup), got back in 2 weeks with half the laptop replaced, looked nice
-I would get it becouse for that price the specs and computer in generally is amazing. Either get this, or a macbook if you have an extra 3k lying around.
Old 06-24-2010 at 11:29 PM   #11
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Whats the point?

I think it would be a better idea to make a topic with laptops reviews you can still buy in store, that way people can benefit from it
You can always get that on CNET, this is just so people can share their experiences with different models and give people looking for a new laptop a more well-rounded view
Old 06-25-2010 at 03:11 PM   #12
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

I guess, but wouldnt you rather hear it from customers? CNET seems to exaggerate a bit, and be biased sometimes.

Ill post my specs later... hate my laptop, but its pretty powerful despite being 2yrs old, lol