MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Golden Key Society nerual Academics 39 08-28-2010 01:55 PM
You're Invited To Peter George's Farewell Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 06-03-2010 08:45 AM
Peter George's Last Lecture Chad MacInsiders Announcements 0 03-30-2010 10:45 PM
Peter George's Last Lecture AdamKuhn MacInsiders Announcements 6 03-03-2010 09:17 AM
Golden Key Society thejason Clubs & Groups 2 10-02-2006 08:37 PM

Peter George's golden handshake

Old 01-28-2009 at 12:41 PM   #1
AndrewC

Liked: 0 Times

Quick question for Mr. Coleman

Any idea if any school affected made any noise about the golden handshakes being given out (which I believe you wrote about). Because approximately 280 students worth of tuition is going to Peter George and nothing was said here by our "Union".
Old 01-28-2009 at 12:47 PM   #2
fullsmash26
Reporter, Macleans

Liked: 15 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC View Post
Quick question for Mr. Coleman

Any idea if any school affected made any noise about the golden handshakes being given out (which I believe you wrote about). Because approximately 280 students worth of tuition is going to Peter George and nothing was said here by our "Union".
Peter George's golden handshake is unique to McMaster. His and Kelton's retirement paydays are way above any other university in Ontario.

Students at York, UToronto, UOttawa, Carleton, and Ryerson all made complaints about presidential compensation.

The MSU president instead came to the defence of the university.

Who can blame him, after all the MSU is taking students to the bank by giving themselves pay increases this year. The SRA gives the BoD a giant raise. The BoD returns the favour by moving a pay increase for paid SRA members (committee chairs and etc).

So, we can give them credit for being consistent.
Old 01-28-2009 at 01:24 PM   #3
AndrewC

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Students at York, UToronto, UOttawa, Carleton, and Ryerson all made complaints about presidential compensation.

The MSU president instead came to the defence of the university.
I think the title of that article says it all because I too am speechless. My favourite,

"It is important to note that Dr. George recently made a private donation of $100,000 to the Faculty of Humanities, which has been chronically under-funded for years, and shows his commitment to students."

Let's hope that our next President recognizes that Dr. George is in part responsible for that underfunding and donating $100, 000 to the university after recieving 1.4 million from it really doesn't say much.

In your experience, have you seen other Universities across the country that fail so miserably in advocacy? You would think that the student body tuition, which is one of the largest sources of revenue to the University, would make them more accountable.