MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone have done petition form in APO? rmfldkdtm Academics 0 06-21-2011 12:52 PM
Math 2ZZ3 Petition! mike_302 Academics 38 05-20-2011 08:03 AM
Mini Fridge Petition Chad MacInsiders Announcements 1 07-16-2010 09:59 AM
petition for special consideration jindal General Discussion 1 04-29-2009 01:17 PM

Petition to fix SOLAR

Old 08-11-2011 at 12:32 AM   #16
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Oh don't get me wrong - I think that in the end most people get what they want, it's just a hassle.

There's no need to boycott because it's not that big of a problem.

But you can't deny that they are far from their optimal capacity and that it's not an insurmountable problem to increase the capacity 3 or 4 fold, especially with the kind of money the university rakes in.
Huzaifa had posted previously that expenditure towards expanding the existing system just is not feasible. I'm assuming this is because of the interdependence of the servers. It is obvious that the university knows this problem exists and frankly I don't think they care. What really annoyed me was that before getting on mugsi meant pretty much immediate access to solar. I'm assuming someone complained to UTS about the script and they subsequently changed it making the script useless. It indeed is frustrating, however first years need to understand that the university knows the problem exists and signing a petition will do nothing.

Last edited by Commie8507 : 08-11-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 12:38 AM   #17
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
Huzaifa had posted previously that expenditure towards expanding the existing system just is not feasible. I'm assuming this is because of the interdependence of the servers. It is obvious that the university knows this problem exists and frankly I don't think they care. What really annoyed me was that before getting on mugsi meant pretty much immediate access to solar. I'm assuming someone complained to UTS about the script and they subsequently changed it making the script useless. It indeed is frustrating, however first years need to understand that the university knows the problem exists and signing a petition will do nothing.
I agree the petition isn't going to change anything, and I don't really care because it's only a couple days and then people will stop being annoyed until the next time they have to use it, but how long are they going to wait? McMaster is not getting any smaller, and the Internet is not slowing down, so McMaster's atrocious 250 person limit is really disgusting and old school now.

Although I think Jeremy said by 2013 they should have revamped some of it which is nice, I suppose - just in time for me to graduate though so I won't get to see its benefits >_>
Old 08-11-2011 at 01:54 AM   #18
alexryu9

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commie8507 View Post
The solution is simple, either learn to live with it or transfer
I don't like that one bit, students pay thousands of dollars for one purpose, to take those classes. If that's the University's way of getting revenue don't you think they should invest some of those dollars on making sure registration isn't this big of a hassle.
Old 08-11-2011 at 01:58 AM   #19
alexryu9

Also, if this petition doesn't do anything. Who cares, i just want us to be heard.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:16 AM   #20
Grover
The Law
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 254 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexryu9 View Post
Also, if this petition doesn't do anything. Who cares, i just want us to be heard.
A petition on its own will carry out nothing. Voices being heard? Do you think that anyone on campus genuinely enjoys using it?

Course registration at post-secondary institutions is universally terrible. Just ask your friends. Then put yourself in the school's shoes and think of all the people they have to accommodate.

Last edited by Grover : 08-11-2011 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:33 AM   #21
Commie8507
King of Microwaves

Liked: 200 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexryu9 View Post
I don't like that one bit, students pay thousands of dollars for one purpose, to take those classes. If that's the University's way of getting revenue don't you think they should invest some of those dollars on making sure registration isn't this big of a hassle.
You just don't get it, in a perfect world one would assume that a university's number one priority would be its students, in reality this just isn't the case. With the recent influx of first years, be prepared for more issues with the network. The internet is going to experience massive slow downs during the day. You learn to live with it.
Old 08-11-2011 at 06:51 AM   #22
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

If you really think about it, SOLAR isn't the problem... its the lack of spaces in classes.

If you just waited until SOLAR wasn't busy, you'd find out classes are still full. Why do you think being able to have a billion people logged on to MUGSI/SOLAR would make a difference? Morons.

Its really disappointing that people think that course registration is in any way bad, when in reality, they're just angry that some other student got their seat in a class instead of them...

The only thing I would change is to seperate course registration and the rest of the academic system (payment stuff, degree audit viewing, etc).
Old 08-14-2011 at 11:22 PM   #23
alexryu9

Well, to the first part of your reply, I can see where you are coming from. But the fact that classes are full after we do manage to get in is just insult to injury. McMaster is a big university, with a lot of students, I get that. But how is it that when I talk to my friends attending universities with more students (U of T, Waterloo, Western) or even less students (Guelph) they do not complain as much, if not, they do not complain at all. It shows that our system has more flaws than other schools.

dlee likes this.
Old 08-14-2011 at 11:53 PM   #24
MichaelScarn
Elite Member

Liked: 161 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
A petition on its own will carry out nothing. Voices being heard? Do you think that anyone on campus genuinely enjoys using it?

Course registration at post-secondary institutions is universally terrible. Just ask your friends. Then put yourself in the school's shoes and think of all the people they have to accommodate.
We're the ones who are accommodating the university and the profs. It's the complete opposite at Waterloo. Early in the year they select the courses they want to take and the university will accommodate them by increasing the number of lectures, profs teaching etc. depending on how many people selected the particular course. Then they get to pick their times for lectures/labs/tutorials. From what I've heard, it's relatively hassle free. I don't think I've heard of a university who's course registration system is worse than ours. I mean, if Waterloo has a system like that, why are we still stuck with MUGSI/SOLAR?

alexryu9 says thanks to MichaelScarn for this post.

alexryu9 likes this.
Old 08-15-2011 at 10:49 PM   #25
alexryu9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelScarn View Post
We're the ones who are accommodating the university and the profs. It's the complete opposite at Waterloo. Early in the year they select the courses they want to take and the university will accommodate them by increasing the number of lectures, profs teaching etc. depending on how many people selected the particular course. Then they get to pick their times for lectures/labs/tutorials. From what I've heard, it's relatively hassle free. I don't think I've heard of a university who's course registration system is worse than ours. I mean, if Waterloo has a system like that, why are we still stuck with MUGSI/SOLAR?
Thats exactly what i'm talking about! By the way, Michael Scarn, greatest name ON EARTH!

MichaelScarn says thanks to alexryu9 for this post.

MichaelScarn likes this.