MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 Ish001 Academics 43 08-29-2011 10:18 PM
Math 2ZZ3 insane?????????????? nikJ Academics 11 03-16-2011 01:05 PM
Confusion about Math 2ZZ3 harshey13 Academics 5 06-12-2010 09:51 PM
Math 2Z03 and 2ZZ3 lmasud First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 17 04-08-2010 04:19 PM

Math 2ZZ3 Petition!

Old 04-11-2011 at 02:35 PM   #1
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Math 2ZZ3 Petition!
Do it up, like a BOSS.

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/math2zz3

This petition was created by a fellow Eng student in second year who, like many of us, has found that 2ZZ3 is a massive waste of tuition fees, time, and an epic disaster to many GPA's. It's because the course is so damn inconsistent from year to year, profs are never in-line with each other, TA's for labs are not on the same level and often do not know the solution to the MATLAB questions that we're asked, and because the questions have been (this year anyways) a poor reflection of the material from lecture.

In response to Schuyler's post (FYI I didn't write the original petition message), I'm not sure if it's easier or harder this year, but I'd go as far as saying that the level of difficulty has changed. For better or for worse, I can't say, but it's definitely indicative of an inconsistent course with equally inconsistent outcomes. This year, I know that none of the test averages had passing averages from the class in general, even after significant "curving" (which actualy favoured the students with higher marks... We won't go into that).

McMaster has had math as a required course for as long as the faculty has existed (obviously), so why, after all of these years, is the course not more fair and consistent? As much as people hate Physics 1E03, or Chem 1E03, I don't think anyone would say they were unfair... The trickiness of the questions sucked, but after you find out you "screwed up that question" you were always able to say "ahhhh, that's why... Okay, I get the concept". Not with math though...

Last edited by mike_302 : 04-11-2011 at 03:00 PM.

micadjems likes this.
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:36 PM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Perhaps you should explain more in the post!
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:37 PM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
Last year's tests were DEFINITELY not easy. I don't know about easier but don't try to accuse that the students last year had it easy either lol
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:44 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

camais, Ownaginatios like this.
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:49 PM   #5
mike_302
Elite Member

*** Just writing up a quality explanation

This petition was created by a fellow Eng student in second year who, like many of us, has found that 2ZZ3 is a massive waste of tuition fees, time, and an epic disaster to many GPA's. It's because the course is so damn inconsistent from year to year, profs are never in-line with each other, TA's for labs are not on the same level and often do not know the solution to the MATLAB questions that we're asked, and because the questions have been (this year anyways) a poor reflection of the material from lecture.

In response to Schuyler's post (FYI I didn't write the original petition message), I'm not sure if it's easier or harder this year, but I'd go as far as saying that the level of difficulty has changed. For better or for worse, I can't say, but it's definitely indicative of an inconsistent course with equally inconsistent outcomes. This year, I know that none of the test averages had passing averages from the class in general, even after significant "curving" (which actualy favoured the students with higher marks... We won't go into that).

McMaster has had math as a required course for as long as the faculty has existed (obviously), so why, after all of these years, is the course not more fair and consistent? As much as people hate Physics 1E03, or Chem 1E03, I don't think anyone would say they were unfair... The trickiness of the questions sucked, but after you find out you "screwed up that question" you were always able to say "ahhhh, that's why... Okay, I get the concept". Not with math though...

Last edited by mike_302 : 04-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-11-2011 at 02:56 PM   #6
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_302 View Post
*** Just writing up a quality explanation
Yeah we never had to know computer programs for math back in the day (maple, matlab)

Ps. you should still be able to edit your original post and add more info

mike_302 says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:00 PM   #7
mike_302
Elite Member

I got a little premature/excited and just posted the link, hoping to get those extra few sets of eyes on it while I drafted a more appropriate explanation I'll copy and paste that to the original now, thanks!
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:00 PM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

just a heads up i think you should get in contact with the guy and tell him to rewrite the stuff he has up on the petition. make it more mature and professional if you know what i mean. i understand what your getting at, but right now it sounds like hes just another MI ranting about a class he isnt doing so well in. if he were to make a more professional claim, with good evidence and support, instead of 2 measly paragraphs which sound like mere complaints, you may be taken more seriously by the admin, and you may also be able to get more people from other faculties to support you.

none the less i will sign it...GL

RememberTwce likes this.
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:03 PM   #9
mike_302
Elite Member

Thanks, I'll make the suggestion.
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:33 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Man, dat 30% matlab...

Sucks to be everyone else taking that course now, lol
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:44 PM   #11
Frank Ocean

Liked: 28 Times

I loved this course this semester, challenging but fun.

I still read the textbook occasionally.
Old 04-11-2011 at 03:47 PM   #12
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

suck it up, its not like last year's tests were any easier. previous years didn't even have matlab assignments as mark boosters
Old 04-11-2011 at 04:24 PM   #13
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

This is exactly what the course evaluation things are for.

Anyways, last year was by no means cake walk. I'll admit we did get a boost through MATLAB though.
Old 04-11-2011 at 05:24 PM   #14
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Hmm, looks like those of us in ECE should petition every course we have then, using the same arguments you are.

xxsumz says thanks to blackdragon for this post.
Old 04-11-2011 at 05:26 PM   #15
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdragon View Post
Hmm, looks like those of us in ECE should petition every course we have then, using the same arguments you are.