Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pets anthony Residence & Housing 10 08-23-2010 02:03 PM

Pets

Old 07-27-2009 at 01:56 PM   #1
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Pets
Just curious to see what's out there in terms of pets? Do you have a pet? Not everyone has time or is interested in having any sort of pet in university, but it's certainly possible!

Also, don't forget that it's illegal for a landlord to refuse to allow you to get a pet, or to raise your rent because you got a pet.

I own a couple of pet rats! They're super intelligent, easy to take care of, and give me company when I'm home.

What kind of pets do you have?
Old 07-27-2009 at 01:59 PM   #2
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by tauntobr View Post
Also, don't forget that it's illegal for a landlord to refuse to allow you to get a pet, or to raise your rent because you got a pet.
Really? That seems silly... after all, its their house, and what if they dont want like pets pooping all over it?

To answer your question though, we might be getting a kitty!!!!

I'M SO EXCITED!

*does happy dance*

My neighbors cats also sleep on my front porch. Then they get stuck on their roof and yowl until they figure out they can get down the same way they got up. Furry animals are silly...

Last edited by Geek : 07-27-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:00 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

I have 3 cats at home

None here in Hamilton, but there's this cat that used to visit a lot (but I haven't seen it in over 2 weeks... D: )
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:02 PM   #4
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

I have two cats and a dog.

I also used to own two turtles. One of them ran away, and the other I gave back to the pet store because it got really big (ridiculously fast too :p). I was gonna bring my cat to Hamilton, but I'm too afraid he'll get hit by a car due to the proximity of my house here to Main street.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:05 PM   #5
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

I have dogs and rabbits. My boyfriend has a lot of pets as well. He used to have rats but they passed away.

As for the landlord thing -- it is illegal for the landlord to raise your rent or not let you have a pet, but they CAN make you pay for any damages your pet creates (such as chewing on the baseboards or stains from going to bathroom on the floor, etc)

Taunton says thanks to HeatherH for this post.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:05 PM   #6
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Really? That seems silly... after all, its their house, and what if they dont want like pets pooping all over it?
Yes, at first I thought it was a no-brainer that you had to get the landlord's permission and that if they refused, you had no choice, or that you could be subjected to extra charges.

My girlfriend just got a cat at her place, and she spoke to the off-campus resource people to see what the laws/bylaws were, and they told her that she can do whatever she wants in terms of getting a pet, and the landlord has no choice but to accept it.

I don't want this thread to become a debating thread though (in terms of debating the law), so let's just keep it to pets and maybe pet questions/answers.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:10 PM   #7
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

My neighbour has a cat called pikachu.

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:12 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,642 Times

Once when I took my cat to the vet, I saw this Asian lady there who's cat was named Chairman Meow.

Needless to say, I lol'd.

feonateresa, Geek like this.
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:14 PM   #9
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

I have a Pug, he is the best dog in the world
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:27 PM   #10
temara.brown
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 352 Times

I've got two dogs, three birds, 9 chickens, and I want to go get Scooter from here: http://www.brantcountyspca.c om/adopt.php?type=1
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:29 PM   #11
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by temara.brown View Post
I've got two dogs, three birds, 9 chickens, and I want to go get Scooter from here: http://www.brantcountyspca.c om/adopt.php?type=1
The only thing you are missing is a

Old 07-27-2009 at 02:31 PM   #12
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownaginatios View Post
Once when I took my cat to the vet, I saw this Asian lady there who's cat was named Chairman Meow.

Needless to say, I lol'd.
One of the cats I have at home is named Meow >_>

*just* Meow... >_>
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:48 PM   #13
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

My boyfriend's family has a cat that I am in love with :3, and they are going away for like half a year so I might take care of it. <3 Yay. Kitty Buddy ftw.

So it's really true that I could take a cat to my apartment and the landlord can't say anything? Sweeet. Do I need to tell him about it?
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:59 PM   #14
Greco

Liked: 18 Times

I have a 8-month old Maltese puppy, his names Bello.

Before him, I had a 12-year old Maltese dog named Tilu, he passed on last Christmas, RIP <3

It's so hard leaving the dog when I move away to school, it can get lonely, lol!
Old 07-27-2009 at 02:59 PM   #15
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
My boyfriend's family has a cat that I am in love with :3, and they are going away for like half a year so I might take care of it. <3 Yay. Kitty Buddy ftw.

So it's really true that I could take a cat to my apartment and the landlord can't say anything? Sweeet. Do I need to tell him about it?
Nope, you don't have to. You probably should, since openness and honesty are important for any relationship (including one with a landlord).

Also, you might want to call the off-campus resource centre, just to clarify the rules about apartment buildings because I'm not 100% sure the rules are the same for a rented house and a rented unit in an apartment (because pets in an apartment building could be considered "infringing the rights" of the other tenants (for example a noisy barking dog, or allergies, or whatever)).

Last edited by tauntobr : 07-27-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: typo

feonateresa says thanks to Taunton for this post.