MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School? caludujf General Discussion 8 06-09-2009 03:55 PM

Pharmacy

Old 04-20-2011 at 11:43 AM   #1
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Pharmacy
If some one wants to become a Pharmacy What do they have to do?
is it just 4 years?
is there like a medical school for it
wat are pre req?

any info about this would be helpful thanks
Old 04-20-2011 at 11:54 AM   #2
--HP--

Liked: 53 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
If some one wants to become a Pharmacy What do they have to do?
is it just 4 years?
is there like a medical school for it
wat are pre req?

any info about this would be helpful thanks

I'm thinking you want to be a pharmacist?

I have a couple of friends that are doing it, but they have all went to the states! I did hear something about Waterloo starting a pharmacy program!
Old 04-20-2011 at 11:57 AM   #3
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

There are a few pharmacy schools, I think it's U of T, Waterloo, and U of Saskatchewan...can't think of many others.

THIS PROGRAM WILL BE HARD. My friend is in 1st year Pharm right now and is doing 9 courses for his 1st term. 9 full out exams.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:09 PM   #4
Strategy

Liked: 46 Times

You have to do 2 years of undergrad, write the PCAT, then go to pharmacy school (in ontario: UofT and Waterloo) which is 4 years.

As for prerequisite courses, I don't know. Perhaps someone else here does though?
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:31 PM   #5
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

Well I'm not an expert but I don't think Engineering has the elective space to complete all the bio/chem requirements.
Old 04-20-2011 at 12:57 PM   #6
shurlee

Liked: 3 Times

UofT's pharmacy have changed their prerequisite courses for this year: http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs...quirements.htm

As well, after the PCAT, there's an interview. I do know in Waterloo that you can enter the Pharmacy program right after highschool.
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:02 PM   #7
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by --HP-- View Post
I'm thinking you want to be a pharmacist?

I have a couple of friends that are doing it, but they have all went to the states! I did hear something about Waterloo starting a pharmacy program!
its not for me some one else
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:42 PM   #8
mfattal
Elite Member

any one else know this is kinda important
Old 04-20-2011 at 01:47 PM   #9
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

i thought ur "virtually" in 2nd year engineering (in ur little world)

and its impossible for a human being to become a pharmacy , human build a pharmacy using tools (engineers) wait so u can build a pharmacy but you cant be one

hope this helps bye

Old 04-20-2011 at 01:55 PM   #10
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

Er, I believe Waterloo also requires two years of undergrad.

And 9 courses don't mean you have 9 exams. A lot of these courses extend the full year and may just be labs.

To the OP: Pharmacy is an undergraduate professional program. You complete two years of undergraduate studies (with the right prerequisites to get into pharmacy, which you can look for on their websites. it varies between schools), apply to a pharmacy school, write PCAT and show up for an interview (if they require one).

After that, the program is four years and you can work as a pharmacist when you graduate, without having to pursue further studies. Most people will work in community pharmacies (Shopper's, etc). You can go into hospital pharmacy as well. You can choose to do more schooling, though. You could go for a combined law/mba program and go into industry instead.

What else do you want to know?

Edit: Disregard first sentence. You can get into Waterloo from high school. Sorry.

Last edited by ytpos : 04-20-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:05 PM   #11
sjager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
Er, I believe Waterloo also requires two years of undergrad.

And 9 courses don't mean you have 9 exams. A lot of these courses extend the full year and may just be labs.

To the OP: Pharmacy is an undergraduate professional program. You complete two years of undergraduate studies (with the right prerequisites to get into pharmacy, which you can look for on their websites. it varies between schools), apply to a pharmacy school, write PCAT and show up for an interview (if they require one).

After that, the program is four years and you can work as a pharmacist when you graduate, without having to pursue further studies. Most people will work in community pharmacies (Shopper's, etc). You can go into hospital pharmacy as well. You can choose to do more schooling, though. You could go for a combined law/mba program and go into industry instead.

What else do you want to know?

Edit: Disregard first sentence. You can get into Waterloo from high school. Sorry.
He's doing 9 exams, I checked. And from what he's been telling me, it's not gonna get any lighter.
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:12 PM   #12
ytpos
too poor to change this

o.o Wow, what school does he go to?
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:15 PM   #13
sjager

He goes to Waterloo.
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:17 PM   #14
ytpos
too poor to change this

Dang, 9 exams. I only have 4 (+1 lab exam) this semester. I'm in Toronto, though.
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:26 PM   #15
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjager View Post
He goes to Waterloo.
Waterloo is intense.
I had a friend who was taking some math related course and he had 6 maths in one semester.