MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 39 06-04-2010 08:33 PM
Mirroring Honours Biology when in Honours Life Science mw11 Academics 1 05-30-2010 02:39 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Biology R633 Academics 0 05-29-2010 04:47 PM
Graduate school opportunities for B.Sc in Life Sciences? Mr.Prodigy Academics 7 09-13-2009 02:40 PM
Honours Life Science vs. Honours Psych Neuroscience & Behaviour mel89 Academics 0 08-20-2009 03:11 PM

Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School?

Old 06-07-2009 at 08:02 PM   #1
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School?
Hey i was just reading the faculty of science booklet, and looked into level 2 programs.
In Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences, under possible careers, it lists options including pharmaceutical.
In Honours Life Sciences however, it doesn't state or have any pharmacy related careers.
Can i still get into pharmacy if i choose to go into honours life science for 2nd year?
Old 06-07-2009 at 08:13 PM   #2
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Depends which school you apply to...I just checked McMaster's Pharmacology department, and as with their Med school, you don't need a specific degree to apply...a person with a Humanities degree could get into med school at Mac, so long as they've taken some relevant courses (like bio, chem, etc).

Same goes for Pharmacology...here's a link to the admission requirements for the Medical Sciences (MASTER) program:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/grad/medsci/admiss.htm

And here's a link to the course listings in that program:

http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/grad/medsci/courses.htm

However, other universities may differ...I encourage you to look into the universities you're interested in attending once you graduate, and decide for yourself whether you have good odds in Life Sci.

Last edited by Mowicz : 06-07-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-07-2009 at 09:55 PM   #3
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

ya..that is right there are no prereq for medical school at Mac...As long as your average is good.
Old 06-07-2009 at 11:40 PM   #4
caludujf

Liked: 0 Times

what average do you have to get for honours life sci or biochem&med sciences?
Old 06-08-2009 at 01:38 AM   #5
Tailsnake
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 453 Times

Just a quick note: McMaster does not have a pharmacy school, we have pharmacology (i.e. the development and testing of pharmaceuticals) but not pharmacy (the distribution of said drug).

The only Pharmacy school in Ontario, IIRC, is U of T. U of T can be applied to after first year, they're now forcing you to do a standardized test before entrance and there are a few required courses (They're not very stringent, and you can complete them under the general first year life science program).

I'm not sure about exact averages, but generally speaking a 10, (about an 80% average) will get you into any second year science program. More specific requirements can be found in the course listings in the undergrad calender: http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALENDAR/current

Here's a link to the UofT site for more info about their pharmacy school: http://www.pharmacy.utoronto .ca/
Old 06-08-2009 at 07:45 AM   #6
Joann
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 8 Times

Actually, that isn't entirely true either.

Ontario has two pharmacy schools. The University of Toronto's 2010 admissions cycle into pharmacy will be its last in which only one year of an undergrad. is required for admission. By the 2011 admissions cycle, it will require 2 years of an undergrad. in order to be eligible for acceptance.

This follows suit with the Universiy of Waterloo. Waterloo's pharmacy school currently requires two years of an undergrad. before applying. The difference between the schools is also that Waterloo's program is a 5 year professional undergrad. since it has co-op.

Acceptances mostly span on your CA and your PCAT scores but Waterloo currently doesn't require that you write the PCAT when applying (only UT does).

Whether you decide to pursue Honours Life Sciences or Biochemistry doensn't really matter for pharmacy. As long as you make sure you take the correct course requirements then you shouldn't have any problems but you may have to use some of your electives to fill those course requirements so double check!

Hope that was helpful!

Last edited by banjobee : 06-08-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-09-2009 at 03:25 PM   #7
Infinity
Elite Member

Liked: 90 Times

where can a Life Science degree take you? like what jobs are are available in that field.
Old 06-09-2009 at 03:46 PM   #8
Nino
Insider Agent (IA)

Liked: 91 Times

There are lots of career paths to choose from. Generally, students hope to get into grad schools for programs like medicine, pharmacy, dentistry, optometry, etc. I can't really list all of them but the best thing to do would be to check out the Science Career & Cooperative Education office at BSB 127. They'll definitely be able to help you and even provide some career advice.
Old 06-09-2009 at 03:55 PM   #9
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

All that matters is if you have the right prereqs (check each school). As long as you have a high average and in the case of U of T's pharmacy school, a good PCAT score, you should be fine.

Quote:
where can a Life Science degree take you? like what jobs are are available in that field.
There's an office in BSB for Science career services (first floor)... you might want to check them out : )