MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School? caludujf General Discussion 8 06-09-2009 03:55 PM

Pharmacy

Old 04-20-2011 at 02:49 PM   #16
particle
Elite Member

Liked: 30 Times

Just if there's any confusion.. you can still get into Waterloo completing undergraduate courses and meeting their prerequisites and successfully completing an interview. It's just that Waterloo has an option where you can get accepted while you are still in high school (includes interview), but this DOES NOT mean you go into their pharmacy school right away. To my knowledge you will still have to complete the prerequisite courses, but you will not have to apply again, so technically you will have to do undergrad anyway.

Also note that at Waterloo, it is specifically a co-op pharmacy program. So it will take you 5 years to get your degree instead of 4 like at UofT. This also makes Waterloo consider one additional aspect of your profile which is experience. They want students who are employable, such as people who've had a full-time job before and things like that. I also remember the UofT needs physics but Waterloo doesn't, well this was the last time I checked anyway.

Finishing this degree doesn't let you work at a pharmacy right away, I'm pretty sure you have to get licensed to practice, like any medical profession.

One more thing I find striking, but probably is the case for many professional school applications is that they are expensive. Even the PCAT itself is at least $100, and the last time I checked applications to UofT pharmacy were $300, plus they've now extended the amount of undergraduate prerequisites (used to be only 1 year of study).

Tell your friend good luck, planning early is key. He/She can also talk to guidance counsellors. There are tons of information on the schools' websites, its the best place to look since its up to date and it's laid out step by step.

mfattal says thanks to particle for this post.
Old 04-20-2011 at 02:52 PM   #17
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

where is the best place for him to get a degree in pharmacy then
and how long will it take?
2 years undergrad and then?
Old 04-20-2011 at 03:03 PM   #18
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Just if there's any confusion.. you can still get into Waterloo completing undergraduate courses and meeting their prerequisites and successfully completing an interview. It's just that Waterloo has an option where you can get accepted while you are still in high school (includes interview), but this DOES NOT mean you go into their pharmacy school right away. To my knowledge you will still have to complete the prerequisite courses, but you will not have to apply again, so technically you will have to do undergrad anyway.

Also note that at Waterloo, it is specifically a co-op pharmacy program. So it will take you 5 years to get your degree instead of 4 like at UofT. This also makes Waterloo consider one additional aspect of your profile which is experience. They want students who are employable, such as people who've had a full-time job before and things like that. I also remember the UofT needs physics but Waterloo doesn't, well this was the last time I checked anyway.

Finishing this degree doesn't let you work at a pharmacy right away, I'm pretty sure you have to get licensed to practice, like any medical profession.

One more thing I find striking, but probably is the case for many professional school applications is that they are expensive. Even the PCAT itself is at least $100, and the last time I checked applications to UofT pharmacy were $300, plus they've now extended the amount of undergraduate prerequisites (used to be only 1 year of study).

Tell your friend good luck, planning early is key. He/She can also talk to guidance counsellors. There are tons of information on the schools' websites, its the best place to look since its up to date and it's laid out step by step.
Thanks very helpfull
are the chances for getting into that program easier then medical school?
is it better if they go into Saskatchewan?
also Can you give me a link to waterloos?
does brock have that program or only waterloo and uft in ontario does Mcmaster?
Old 04-20-2011 at 03:19 PM   #19
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

Lol, yeah it's easier to get into than med school.

Toronto has experiential education components that, in the new curriculum, you have to complete after first year and in fourth year. So you do graduate with experience.

The only pharmacy schools in Ontario are Toronto and Waterloo.

As for licencing, there's jurisprudence and qualifying exams, but I meant you don't have to do any further schooling to practice. It's just the four years (or five, if you go to Waterloo?) of pharmacy school. You have to do an internship before you become registered, though.

Last edited by ytpos : 04-20-2011 at 03:28 PM.

mfattal says thanks to ytpos for this post.
Old 04-20-2011 at 03:43 PM   #20
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
Lol, yeah it's easier to get into than med school.

Toronto has experiential education components that, in the new curriculum, you have to complete after first year and in fourth year. So you do graduate with experience.

The only pharmacy schools in Ontario are Toronto and Waterloo.

As for licencing, there's jurisprudence and qualifying exams, but I meant you don't have to do any further schooling to practice. It's just the four years (or five, if you go to Waterloo?) of pharmacy school. You have to do an internship before you become registered, though.
At waterloo this 5 years is with the undergrad? and no physics?

Thank you
Old 04-20-2011 at 03:51 PM   #21
ytpos
too poor to change this

This is the website for Waterloo's academic prerequisites:
http://www.pharmacy.uwaterlo o.ca/f...c-requirements

This is the website for Toronto's:
http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs...quirements.htm

As far as I can see, Waterloo doesn't require physics for acceptance, and the only physics you need for Toronto is grade 12. However, Waterloo has other requirements that aren't academic that Toronto doesn't ask for (like references).

Angoose, mfattal all say thanks to ytpos for this post.
Old 04-20-2011 at 03:54 PM   #22
mfattal
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
This is the website for Waterloo's academic prerequisites:
http://www.pharmacy.uwaterlo o.ca/f...c-requirements

This is the website for Toronto's:
http://pharmacy.utoronto.ca/programs...quirements.htm

As far as I can see, Waterloo doesn't require physics for acceptance, and the only physics you need for Toronto is grade 12. However, Waterloo has other requirements that aren't academic that Toronto doesn't ask for (like references).
Thank you very much
Best of luck <3
Old 04-20-2011 at 03:55 PM   #23
ytpos
too poor to change this

You too! And your friend!
Old 04-20-2011 at 05:00 PM   #24
mfattal
Elite Member

at waterloo which of these programs must he take so he can take pharmacy after 2 years
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Biotechnology/Chartered Accountancy ‡
Biotechnology/Economics ‡
Chemistry
Computational Science
Earth Sciences
Environmental Science ‡
Honours Science ‡
Life Sciences ‡
Mathematical Physics
Offered jointly with the Faculty of Mathematics
Medicinal Chemistry
Physical Sciences ‡
Physics
Psychology
Also offered through the Faculty of Arts
Science and Aviation ‡
Science and Business

??Thanks
Old 04-20-2011 at 05:22 PM   #25
Alchemist11
Elite Member

Liked: 553 Times

Lol wtf?

Why are we forced to find out exactly what your friend has to do to "become a pharmacy" [sic]?

Can't you just google ****ing Waterloo's pharmacy school and read up on what they require?

Old 04-20-2011 at 05:26 PM   #26
Cliu91
Taylor Gang Lifestyle

Liked: 325 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist11 View Post
Lol wtf?

Why are we forced to find out exactly what your friend has to do to "become a pharmacy" [sic]?

Can't you just google ****ing Waterloo's pharmacy school and read up on what they require?
No. Because that would be the logical thing to do.
Old 04-20-2011
mfattal
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 04-20-2011 at 06:57 PM   #27
RememberTwce
Memento Mori

Liked: 878 Times

http://www.pharmacy.uwaterlo o.ca/future-students/faq <----go read that ENTIRE thing and then if you still have questions come back and post them here

mfattal says thanks to RememberTwce for this post.
Old 04-20-2011 at 07:11 PM   #28
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
at waterloo which of these programs must he take so he can take pharmacy after 2 years
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Biotechnology/Chartered Accountancy ‡
Biotechnology/Economics ‡
Chemistry
Computational Science
Earth Sciences
Environmental Science ‡
Honours Science ‡
Life Sciences ‡
Mathematical Physics
Offered jointly with the Faculty of Mathematics
Medicinal Chemistry
Physical Sciences ‡
Physics
Psychology
Also offered through the Faculty of Arts
Science and Aviation ‡
Science and Business

??Thanks
Well obviously Science and Aviation.
Old 04-20-2011 at 07:40 PM   #29
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

But now mfattal you're pushing the boundaries of our good grace, so we will start to troll you.