MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honours Life Sciences can lead you to Pharmacy School? caludujf General Discussion 8 06-09-2009 03:55 PM

Pharmacy

Old 04-20-2011 at 11:43 PM   #31
Reda
Elite Member

Liked: 274 Times

Mfattal no one on macinsiders likes you except the emo kids

...?!! likes this.
Old 04-20-2011 at 11:56 PM   #32
...?!!
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reda View Post
Mfattal no one on macinsiders likes you except the emo kids
Could have stopped right where the bold stops.
Old 04-21-2011 at 12:54 AM   #33
Entropy
Splice onto Arcane

Liked: 974 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal
I wasent asking for your help

this forum was designed for any kind of help so stfu and gtfo my thread

i was talking to nice people like ytpos
Oh, you have no idea.

The only reason she was nice to you is because she hasn't been around long enough to know who you are.
Old 04-21-2011 at 07:14 AM   #34
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Dang Mfattal I was going to make an exception and fall for an engineer too
Old 04-21-2011 at 07:45 AM   #35
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
at waterloo which of these programs must he take so he can take pharmacy after 2 years
Biochemistry
Biology
Biomedical Sciences
Chemistry
Honours Science ‡
Life Sciences ‡
Medicinal Chemistry

??Thanks
I'd say biochem, because most of the pharm school prereqs have no special program prereqs. The idea is to do your undergrad, while at the same time, ensuring you get all the courses you need. Additional courses would include things that help you study for your PCAT or will boost your average (electives).

mfattal says thanks to RyanC for this post.
Old 04-21-2011 at 08:54 AM   #36
SciMania
Elite Member

Liked: 74 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by particle View Post
Just if there's any confusion.. you can still get into Waterloo completing undergraduate courses and meeting their prerequisites and successfully completing an interview. It's just that Waterloo has an option where you can get accepted while you are still in high school (includes interview), but this DOES NOT mean you go into their pharmacy school right away. To my knowledge you will still have to complete the prerequisite courses, but you will not have to apply again, so technically you will have to do undergrad anyway.

Also note that at Waterloo, it is specifically a co-op pharmacy program. So it will take you 5 years to get your degree instead of 4 like at UofT. This also makes Waterloo consider one additional aspect of your profile which is experience. They want students who are employable, such as people who've had a full-time job before and things like that. I also remember the UofT needs physics but Waterloo doesn't, well this was the last time I checked anyway.

Finishing this degree doesn't let you work at a pharmacy right away, I'm pretty sure you have to get licensed to practice, like any medical profession.

One more thing I find striking, but probably is the case for many professional school applications is that they are expensive. Even the PCAT itself is at least $100, and the last time I checked applications to UofT pharmacy were $300, plus they've now extended the amount of undergraduate prerequisites (used to be only 1 year of study).

Tell your friend good luck, planning early is key. He/She can also talk to guidance counsellors. There are tons of information on the schools' websites, its the best place to look since its up to date and it's laid out step by step.
Waterloo Pharmacy is not 5 years, it's 4. It is a co-op program, but that co-op is completed in your 4th year. So length wise, all programs are the same length.

I am currently applying and had an interview at UofT just a few weeks ago, and have one at Waterloo in 2 weeks. Applications are expensive, this partially deters people who are using Pharmacy as a back up for medicine from applying, but is obviously not fool proof. Waterloo's application is also $300, and is much much more extensive than UofT.

Pharmacy is competitive, but not as competitive as medicine. Once you reach the interview stage, which in and of itself is a hurdle, you have about 50% chance of getting in. Currently the degree is a BSc Pharmacy, but within the next few years it is VERY likely to become a PharmD (Doctorate of Pharmacy), which is currently offered in all of the U.S.

Both UofT and Waterloo have very similar pre-reqs:

Waterloo

Introductory Cell Biology† (BIOL 130/130L) = Bio 2B03 at Mac
Genetics (BIOL 139) = Bio 2C03
Fundamentals of Microbiology (BIOL 140) = Bio 2EE3
Chemistry
Physical and Chemical Properties of Matter† (CHEM 120/120L) = Chem 1A03
Chemical Reactions, Equilibria and Kinetics† (CHEM 123/123L) = Chem 1AA3
Introductory Biochemistry† (CHEM 237/237L) or Fundamentals of Biochemistry (CHEM 233) = Biochem 2EE3
Introductory Chemical Thermodynamics (CHEM 254) = Chem Bio 2P03
Basic Organic Chemistry 1† (CHEM 266/266L) or Organic Chemistry 1 (CHEM 264) = Chem 2OA3
Basic Organic Chemistry 2† (CHEM 267/267L) or Organic Chemistry 2† (CHEM 265/265L) = Chem 2OB3

Calculus 1 for the Life Sciences (MATH 127) or Calculus 1 for Honours Mathematics (MATH 137) or Calculus 1 Advanced (MATH 147) = Math 1A03
Calculus 2 for the Life Sciences (MATH 128) or Calculus 2 for Honours Mathematics (MATH 138) or Calculus 2 Advanced (MATH 148) = Math 1AA3
Introductory Statistics for Scientists (STAT 202) = Stats 2B03

Humanities or Social Sciences
2.0 full credits (four terms) in Humanities or Social Sciences at the university level. No more than 1.0 credit in any one subject area.

UofT

ENG4U** or former OAC
SPH4U** or former OAC or University

BIOLOGY- minimum of two terms/semesters

CHEMISTRY
Introductory Chemistry – minimum of one to two terms/semesters plus labs
PLUS
Organic Chemistry – minimum of two terms/semesters plus labs
PLUS
Physical Chemistry (Thermodynamics/Kinetics)

BIOCHEMISTRY – minimum of one term/semester

CALCULUS – minimum of two terms/semesters

Statistics – minimum of one term/semester

HUMANITIES or SOCIAL SCIENCE – minimum of two terms/semesters

These requirements can be met by any program - life sci, bio, biochem etc. it doesn't matter. I would recommend life sci because it allows you to take the pre-reqs but also take GPA boosting courses.

To be competitive you need at least a 3.0/4.0 GPA, and above 60th percentile on the PCAT, although typically people's averages are more like 3.3-4.0 and PCATs are more like 80s.

I can tell you that the PCAT is a joke, I spent maybe 3 days studying for it and managed to do very very well. As long as you know your basic sciences (includes 2nd year science courses), it's not difficult but requires you to work FAST...i.e. answer 48 calculus questions in 30 minutes.

While GPA, and ECs are important, the interview is a huge deciding factor. UofT currently does the MMI style interviews, and Waterloo a panel style interview.

Angoose, mfattal all say thanks to SciMania for this post.
Old 04-21-2011 at 09:12 AM   #37
...?!!
Account Locked

Liked: 7 Times

Hey mfattal, are you mad? I see you -1ing all our posts. ='[
Old 04-21-2011 at 09:41 AM   #38
mfattal
Elite Member

Liked: 85 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...?!! View Post
Hey mfattal, are you mad? I see you -1ing all our posts. ='[
Yes i was getting mad because this thread was not ment for a discussion just a question and answer

and the problem is where ever i go I have to get trolled and disliked for no reason

u guys dont even know me in real life

just wait until next year and i will introduce my self
Old 04-21-2011 at 10:44 AM   #39
Serene
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfattal View Post
u guys dont even know me in real life

just wait until next year and i will introduce my self
I look forward to it
Old 04-21-2011 at 07:05 PM   #40
sjager

Liked: 59 Times

I'm sure you can't be capable of being this annoying in person, so yes I'm sure some people in real life will like you.

Unless you constantly hand them flyers to go look at your Youtube account...which for some reason I could actually see you doing. FYI I automatically hate people that try to give me stuff when I'm walking to class. Lord knows what would happen if they got in my path.
Old 04-21-2011 at 07:41 PM   #41
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

SciMania:

Even though it is a BSc right now in Toronto, they are talking about changing it to PharmD for the 1T5 class and future classes because of the new curriculum. If it isn't implemented when you graduate, it can still be changed in retrospect so you could be given a PharmD later on (if that makes any sense). This is my understanding of the situation in Toronto, but nothing is official yet. Good luck! If you choose Toronto, be sure to say hi!

Also, I believe my class's average upon entrance was low 80s, but I could be wrong.
Old 04-21-2011 at 08:01 PM   #42
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
SciMania:

Even though it is a BSc right now in Toronto, they are talking about changing it to PharmD for the 1T5 class and future classes because of the new curriculum. If it isn't implemented when you graduate, it can still be changed in retrospect so you could be given a PharmD later on (if that makes any sense). This is my understanding of the situation in Toronto, but nothing is official yet. Good luck! If you choose Toronto, be sure to say hi!

Also, I believe my class's average upon entrance was low 80s, but I could be wrong.
yup that's what i mentioned in my post as well, about it potentially being changed to the pharmD. From what i've heard if uoft gets approved waterloo will as well and everyone who completed the new curriculum should get it.

ya from what i've heard avgs were low 80s, but some people were also admitted with GPAs of 2.9.

i'm realllllly hoping toronto will work out, i'll be sure to let you know if it does !
Old 04-21-2011 at 08:06 PM   #43
ytpos
too poor to change this

Liked: 15 Times

Yeah I'm super jealous of the future classes 'cause at least you have a chance of getting your degree changed later, but they won't change it in retrospect for my class ;[

If you do go to Toronto, be sure to come out for phrosh week! (Yes, PHrosh like PHarmacy - we're lame >.>) I'm hoping to be a phrosh leader next year.

justinsftw likes this.
Old 04-21-2011 at 08:20 PM   #44
SciMania
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ytpos View Post
Yeah I'm super jealous of the future classes 'cause at least you have a chance of getting your degree changed later, but they won't change it in retrospect for my class ;[

If you do go to Toronto, be sure to come out for phrosh week! (Yes, PHrosh like PHarmacy - we're lame >.>) I'm hoping to be a phrosh leader next year.
wouldn't you guys have the option of the track-in program? i don't know if these are rumors or not, but hopefully it will work out for you guys too - it sucks missing it by a year.

are u liking uoft pharm so far? i'm trying to weigh out pros and cons of uoft vs waterloo - i know uoft's class sizes are much much larger, (i.e. double that of waterloo), did you feel it wasn't as easy to get to know your classmates or make connections w/ profs?
Old 04-21-2011 at 09:08 PM   #45
REDnation
Account Locked

Liked: 13 Times

At least your trying to take reputable way in becoming a pharmacist. People have been taking shortcuts and are making big sums of money. Those people are known as 'street pharmacists', plus they are more willing to negotiate.