MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philosophy 1E03 kokosas 1st Year Course Reviews 9 12-14-2012 10:54 AM
Philosophy 1E03 resh.jyoti Academics 3 11-17-2009 12:18 PM
Philosophy 1D03 veasnaphan 1st Year Course Reviews 0 01-06-2009 11:51 PM
Physics 1D03/1E03 jhan523 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 09-08-2008 02:03 PM

Philosophy 1D03/1E03 ?

Old 07-10-2008 at 07:25 PM   #1
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Philosophy 1D03/1E03 ?
Can someone who has taken either philosophy 1d03 or 1e03 give me a little background information about the two courses?

I can't pick which one I want as an elective.

Old 07-14-2008 at 10:59 AM   #2
Isabel

Liked: 3 Times

I'm having the same problem. Which course in more interesting? Is 1D03 helpful to science students (I'm may consider following a career in bioethics)? Which course is easier?
Old 07-14-2008 at 02:12 PM   #3
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 23 Times

Guys be careful in asking 'how easy' a course is. A course that was easy for me may be difficult for you. Instead ask for as much of a mark break down as the person can remember, how many tests per month, assignments, was the reading load heavy? Sometimes a course is really tough and many people struggle with it and upper years will mention that but just because someone calls it a bird course doesn't mean it will be for you. I just wanted to make you aware of this in case you get into a class that isn't what you expected.

Isabel says thanks to kokosas for this post.
Old 07-16-2008 at 07:25 PM   #4
Harlequin

Liked: 35 Times

Well that's what I'm asking for.
I've seen stuff about 1e03. Can anyone tell me about 1d03?
Old 07-16-2008 at 08:16 PM   #5
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

Harlequin,
I wasn't actually reffering to you in my post but I didn't want to single anyone out by calling names. It was a general comment and there is no need to get defensive. As upper years some of us are concerned with the general first year attitude towards 'easy' courses so I brought it up.

As for your course, ask ferreinm she's a Philosophy major and might have taken it.

Old 07-20-2008 at 01:11 AM   #6
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

I have to agree with kokosas that its probably whether a course interests you are not what determines whether it will be easy for you.

I personally chose Philosophy 1D03 as one of my engineering electives. I havn't really heard whether its easy or not, but a course about the philosophy of science sounds like a REALLY interesting course, so I figured I would probably do well at it.
Old 07-21-2008 at 01:14 PM   #7
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Can't say much about 1e03 - but I took 1D03 (of technology) , and it had it's very interesing points, and it's dull points. Don't expect to study classical philosophy very much - so if you are in to that, I'd avoid it. Also, they saved the fun discussions about genetic engineering, AI, performance enhancing drugs and cloning until right at the end, since, when I took it, they went roughly in technological chronological order.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 07-22-2008 at 04:15 PM   #8
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

The reason why there isn't a lot of info on 1D03 is because the course is usually offered every other year and sometimes cancelled because of lack of enrollment. You'll see this with a lot of philosophy classes (and humanities in general really) a lot of good classes are only offered every other year unfortunately :(
Old 07-22-2008 at 05:09 PM   #9
Cubit

Liked: 2 Times

Science too - Astronomy courses above level 2 and many of the origins ones are every other year. Better that then not offering them at all I guess . I would suspect the same thing happens to low enrollment courses in all departments.

Physics & Astronomy.

------
To Maxwell:" But Sir, what use is it?"
Maxwell: "Madam, what use is a new born babe?"
------
Old 07-22-2008 at 07:39 PM   #10
J-Met
Elite Member

Liked: 136 Times

Well, it better not get cancelled this year. It was the only interesting engineering elective I found that wasn't full!
Old 07-23-2008 at 07:54 PM   #11
kokosas
MacInsiders Staff

lol good luck J-Met, I've been waiting for an English course on Jane Austin to be taught and this is year 3 with no luck!

And the reason why the Humanities dept (can't speak for other faculties) often has classes every other year is that there are a lot of sessional profs in our faculty and when they're coming and going sometimes you can't get one to teach the class.

Last edited by kokosas : 07-23-2008 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-23-2008 at 08:50 PM   #12
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Also due to a lack of funding.

Thank god for the 10 million we got last year