MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Philosophy 2D03/Religious Studies 2C03 ferreinm 2nd Year Course Reviews 17 06-10-2014 03:35 PM
Anyone in Philosophy 3Q03 - Philosophy of Law? MacStudent06 Academics 2 09-29-2010 07:06 PM
Too Much Philosophy? Chambini Academics 5 06-27-2010 04:09 PM
Philosophy Goce Academics 0 09-04-2007 09:00 PM

philosophy 2d03 course

Old 06-12-2010 at 07:30 PM   #1
nadia1

Liked: 3 Times

philosophy 2d03 course
I was reading the description for this moral issues course and it sounds very interesting. any opinions. and I was also wondering how much essay writing is involved in this course.
Old 06-13-2010 at 10:50 AM   #2
jordan18

Liked: Liked 3 Times

I am also interested in this course. How did you find it and would you recommend it as an elective?
Old 06-13-2010 at 11:35 AM   #3
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

Best course I've ever taken. The prof can be kind of dry but the readings are really interesting. The assignments are in case study form and they're really fun to do. I'm in philosophy though and I have an interest in bioethics so I ended up doing really well in the course. I know a ton of people who hated that class.
Old 06-13-2010 at 11:39 AM   #4
jordan18

Liked: Liked 3 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm View Post
Best course I've ever taken. The prof can be kind of dry but the readings are really interesting. The assignments are in case study form and they're really fun to do. I'm in philosophy though and I have an interest in bioethics so I ended up doing really well in the course. I know a ton of people who hated that class.
Why did they hate it? Was it just because they didnt find it interesting or was it something else?
Old 06-13-2010 at 12:42 PM   #5
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times

Haha, I'm going to have to disagree with Ferreinm. i took this class last year with Rodde, and although he was a really good prof and I liked the way he organized/ran his lectures, I ended up really disliking the course itself. It was a HUGE class when I took it (~600 students) so there's really no room for meaningful discussion. My tutorials weren't run very well either as most of the people in them would just get really emotional when we had discussions (which is understandable, most of the material focuses on controversial topics like abortion,euthanasia, etc. which lots of people have very strong opinions on) so i didn't feel like that was very useful either.

I know a lot of people who really DID like this course, so don't let me discourage you if you really want to take it. I'm minoring in philosophy though and I didn't really feel like this was a philosophy class, more a "controversial-topic-discussion-class." It wasn't hard to do well in, and the workload wasn't intense, but I found a lot of the readings very dry.
Old 06-13-2010 at 12:59 PM   #6
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

I thought this class was... fine. I definitely agree with everything Geek said.

It seems to be the elective that EVERYONE takes and I really hate classes like that. The class is enormous and it's held in MDCL 1305. I really think you shouldn't be setting foot in that classroom past first year, that's not education. The material is really interesting but tutorials can be a disaster. I had an excellent T.A who knew how to police discussion and place emphasis on what you're actually supposed to be taking away from the course but I can definitely see how the tutorials can become very uncomfortable and overly emotional.

However, it is really easy. Just a few assignments and a final. You'll get a high mark if you put in a reasonable amount of time, can write fairly well, and have decent critical thinking skills. When I took it, we were given case studies for assignments and we had to break down the case and analyze using theories/models from the readings.

Take it if you find the subject interesting and won't mind an enormous class and possibly terrible tutorials.