MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Why don't Physics 1B03/Bio 1B03 have any tutorials listed on Master Timetable :| ? m0nica First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 07-12-2010 10:00 AM

Physics 1B03

Old 08-25-2011 at 10:08 PM   #1
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Physics 1B03
I've asked a similar question before but I'm just wondering

1) If you took this course did it significantly bring down your average?
2) Would you recommend it if it wasn't required?
3) If you don't mind could you share your grade?
3) I know a whole part of the course is review but is taking both orgos and both physics in the summer too much while maintaining a job?

Thanks
Old 08-25-2011
Billy Shears
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-25-2011 at 10:47 PM   #2
Galleria

Omg first studentawards now this.

Can someone who took the course please help?
Old 08-25-2011
Billy Shears
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 08-25-2011 at 10:57 PM   #3
A_L3

Liked: 4 Times

I haven't personally taken the course, but know lots of people who have, and I've taken courses that are equivalent. It pretty much comes down to how strong you are in physics. If you had little difficulty in high school, chances are you'll find this pretty easy too as long as you keep up with the work. If physics is one of your weaker points though, it won't get any better.
Did the equivalent courses I take bring down my average? Nope. 11's in both of them.
Basically, if you put the work in and have any sort of natural affinity for physics, you'll do just fine.

Can't comment on orgo seeing how I haven't taken it yet, but from what I've heard its pretty difficult, though doable.

^^Relax there Mr. Shears. No need to get all unhappy because someone asked a question.

Galleria says thanks to A_L3 for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 10:58 PM   #4
Milk.Tea

Liked: 21 Times

http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...tr=P&t=18 410

Check out this thread, it has a review of 1b03

Galleria says thanks to Milk.Tea for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:01 PM   #5
Galleria

The reason why I'm nervous is because I took SPH4U in 2nd sem when senioritis hit really, really hard and put in about 50% effort. I did get a 96 in Grade 12 but all this 1% per question on the midterm is really scary.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:03 PM   #6
Galleria

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_L3 View Post

^^Relax there Mr. Shears. No need to get all unhappy because someone asked a question.
Lol, he's an epic troll which is why all those who used to browse studentawards would know all about him.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:05 PM   #7
A_L3

Liked: 4 Times

If you got a 96 in SPH4U, then just relax. You're going to do completely fine. University midterms aren't all that much harder than high school. The 1% per question is pretty common for many courses, and you'll get used to it super-fast.

Galleria says thanks to A_L3 for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:21 PM   #8
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Lolol I got 95 in SPH4U, had around a 10 going into the 1B03 exam. I must've really tanked it because I ended up with a 6, my worst grade by far (2nd lowest was a 10).

Overall, a fairly difficult course that will kill you if you cram. The material wasn't that hard and a lot of it was review but trying to learn it all right before the exam ruined me.

1) Yes, it did bring down my average but a lot of my friends got a grade similar to the grades they got in other subjects. Basically, it varies from person to person.

2) If it wasn't required, I wouldn't have taken it just because I don't exactly love physics. However, I can see the appeal if you are a fan of the subject.

3) Above.

4) Taking a course in the summer is like taking 2 courses during the year (based on what I've heard from numerous people) so taking both Orgos and both Physics would be like taking 4 courses each term. If you think that you can handle a job during the normal school year (5 courses), then you should be able to handle 4 courses and a job. If you think a job would not be manageable during the fall/winter terms, then it likely will be just as hard in the summer.

Hope this helps

Last edited by UlteriorMtve : 08-25-2011 at 11:28 PM.

Galleria says thanks to UlteriorMtve for this post.

MirandaC likes this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:35 PM   #9
yoni

Liked: 87 Times

1) If you took this course did it significantly bring down your average?

no

2) Would you recommend it if it wasn't required?

if you like physics

3) If you don't mind could you share your grade?

3) I know a whole part of the course is review but is taking both orgos and both physics in the summer too much while maintaining a job?

I wouldn't do that. you'd probably have the worst summer of all time. take either orgo or physics if you want to during the summer and do somethign else with the rest of your time like working or volunteering. doesn't make sense to be a full time student taking 'hard' courses during the summer when you could do the same thing during the year and the courses wouldnt be as compressed. for what it's worth (not a lot) i got a 92 in SPH4U. my teacher didnt speak english very well, and went on jury duty during the semester and we had some substitutes, so yeah, B03 is definitely a lot of review

Galleria says thanks to yoni for this post.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:36 PM   #10
justinsftw
Elite Member

Liked: 342 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorMtve View Post
Lolol I got 95 in SPH4U, had around a 10 going into the 1B03 exam. I must've really tanked it because I ended up with a 6, my worst grade by far (2nd lowest was a 10).
Gah!

I feel the same way. I went from 11 to 8, with an 80 in SPH4U. I really slacked off on the Fluids unit.

Galleria says thanks to justinsftw for this post.

UlteriorMtve likes this.
Old 08-25-2011 at 11:45 PM   #11
UlteriorMtve

Liked: 199 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsftw View Post
Gah!

I feel the same way. I went from 11 to 8, with an 80 in SPH4U. I really slacked off on the Fluids unit.
So did I. I was learning all of it for the first time when I was studying for the exam. I didn't think it would take that long but by the time I finished I had no time to do anything else.

Plus it was my last exam, which didn't help my motivation to study.
Old 08-26-2011 at 05:43 AM   #12
Faer
Elite Member

Liked: 338 Times

1. VERY significantly. I started off this course on the wrong foot because I was lucky enough to fall ill on the weekend of the first midterm. I never really got back into track after that, and it was all downhill from there.

2. No. Unless you like Physics/are pretty thorough with what you did in High School.

3. Let's just say it was barely a pass. Term 2 was sort of an off for me...first term I averaged 10.4, second term...meh...

4. O__o It sounds too much, but in the end it depends on personal perseverance and how much time you put into it. Good luck!

Galleria says thanks to Faer for this post.
Old 08-26-2011 at 03:15 PM   #13
arathbon
Elite Member

Liked: 307 Times

Depends on what your experiences with Physics are and from what I understand who the prof is. I got a 12, but I had taken Physics 1L03 and Kinesiology 2A03 (Biomechanics) the semester before and I had Nejat, so I probably had an easier time.

That said take it if you are interested but be prepared to do work. Also make sure its not a hidden requirement (i.e. you only need 1L03 to get into a program but you'll have to complete 1B03 in your second year if you hadn't already done it)