MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics 1B03 or Physics 1L03 for Life Sciences I {0312}? honey20 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-03-2012 12:51 AM
Which Physics To Take - 1B03 or 1L03 - Life Science? RamanS First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 14 06-03-2012 05:21 PM

Is physics 1B03 necessary in life sci?

Old 12-27-2013 at 10:38 PM   #1
michelle12

Liked: 0 Times

Is physics 1B03 necessary in life sci?
I'm in first year life sciences, looking to go into Honours Life Science next year.
I took physics in grade 12, and I am wondering if it is necessary to take physics 1b03 at all, or would physics 1L03 be enough?
I know it is a prerequisite for Bio 2A03, so I was also wondering if that is a necessary/ common course to take in second year Honours Life Science.
Thanks!
Old 12-27-2013 at 11:10 PM   #2
AnimeGamer31

Liked: 27 Times

It depends on what you want to do with it. If you plan to take bio 20a3 then yes u need it. If u plan on going to certain schools or graduate programs, they may need it as well. If you have a certain course u want got take and it needs physics 1b03, then take it. If you want to take it to keep all your options open, I suggest taking it later on such as in third or fourth year becuz physics is a course that's tough to deal in first year and when you get used to taking tests at Mac, then it would be wiser to take physics 1b03. The course has all multiple choice in it and it's hard to do well unless you r mature in test taking skills.

I don't recommend it until you have say for a prerequisite. If you don't need it, then save yourself from the bloodbath and take it in ur upper years when you have less midterms and exams with 3rd and 4th year courses.
Old 12-28-2013 at 12:34 AM   #3
Atheist?

Liked: 31 Times

Some graduate schools require a full year of physics labs (this means 1b03 + 1bb3/1ba3).
It is your decision whether or not take physics now or later if you decide on a graduate school that requires it.
If you struggle with physics, the professors are more than willing to help so do not hesitate to ask them for help.

Good luck deciding and have a great winter break!
Old 12-28-2013 at 01:17 AM   #4
bobsingh

Liked: 11 Times

Take 1b03 physics during the summer with Dr. Massa!! He makes it a bird course and literally, the midterm and exam are a joke. At least 90% of the class got more than 10+ in the course when i took it last summer (summer 2013).