MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major Help !!! ghostanime20 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 09-01-2009 02:13 PM

Physics is just above a 50, Should I still Major in Biochemistry?

Old 11-30-2013 at 01:39 PM   #1
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Physics is just above a 50, Should I still Major in Biochemistry?
My first physics midterm mark was a discouraging 54 in Physics 1B03. My question is, since the biochemistry major "highly recommends taking physics 1b03 and 1bb3" does that mean that there will be a lot of physics involved in biochemistry.

If so, what percent of biochemistry is actually physics?

Furthermore, is it recommended that someone with a 54 in physics 1b03 still pursue biochemistry?
Old 11-30-2013 at 02:25 PM   #2
Silver
Elite Member

Liked: 392 Times

none of biochem is physics. you shouldnt worry. lots of science kids who go into biochem do poorly in physics 1b03 or take it in the summer. pretty much 0 physics in biochem. just worry about having a competitive gpa to get into biochem since it is pretty popular especially due to the electives you get in it.

RiskBreaker says thanks to Silver for this post.

munyunma likes this.
Old 11-30-2013 at 02:32 PM   #3
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

There's not much physics in biochem, especially if you're in core.

Don't even bother taking 1BB3. It's totally unnecessary.

RiskBreaker says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 12-01-2013 at 11:42 AM   #4
RiskBreaker

Liked: 5 Times

Are the both of you in biochemistry? Its good to hear that there isn't any physics in there at all but it does say that 1bb3 is recommended. Why should they recommend something that is not needed whatsoever?

Last edited by RiskBreaker : 12-04-2013 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-01-2013 at 01:52 PM   #5
Quiver

Liked: 126 Times

Hi there. I'm a second year biochem (biomed research spec).

While the course calendar does say that the physics are recommended, there is almost no physics involved whatsoever, at least in second year. I also hear that there isn't any in the upper years unless you want it to be.

I think they also recommend math 1b03, which also doesn't appear in biochem. I wouldn't worry about it at all. If you're really worried, I would recommend you go back to the course calendar and actually look at the required courses in the upper years of biochemistry. You'll see that none of them are heavily (or even moderately) physics-based.

(Plus, the averages at the end of physics 1B03 are much higher than after the first midterm. CAPA and the labs are generally free marks and the final exam isn't as bad as the midterm. If you work hard, you'll bring it up.)

RiskBreaker says thanks to Quiver for this post.
Old 12-01-2013 at 01:52 PM   #6
starfish
Elite Member

Liked: 572 Times

They say a lot of things that you should take with a grain of salt. I have no idea why they say it's recommended, though I suspect it's more for political reasons than anything else. If you talk to the academic advisors, they'll tell you not to waste your time.

At some point it also said math 1B03 was strongly recommended. You'll do just fine without that, too.

RiskBreaker says thanks to starfish for this post.
Old 12-02-2013 at 03:49 PM   #7
Incognitus

Liked: 19 Times

It's recommended because Biology is applied Chemistry, and Chemistry is applied Physics.

To understand biochemistry in its theoretical context (particularly the quantum mechanical model of the atom, emission spectra etc), you need at least basic knowledge of what quantum mechanics is (Physics 1BB3, which in turn requires knowledge of linear systems (Math 1B03)). You may learn such details in your other courses, but these are covered in some depth in Physics 1BB3.

Whether or not you choose to explore this venue, or completely ignore it is up to you. That's why the courses are recommended though, because the university doesn't wish to discriminate against those who do want to (although I admit, they should probably be a bit more transparent about why they'd be required). If you don't take those courses, you're closing that door entirely (albeit, most students are apparently oblivious to this fact anyway).

To use myself as an example, since I took physics first and things like organic chemistry later on, I think of chemistry/chemical reactions solely in terms of physics, namely that two atoms fall into a 'well' of mutual binding energy. Do you need to fully grasp that concept to know that 2 Na+ + Cl2- <-> 2 NaCl? Probably not. Do you
need to in order to take a course focused on the quantum model? Most likely.

Take home point: Taking physics makes you look at chemistry (and hence biology) differently. For better or for worse, it's your decision.

Last edited by Incognitus : 12-02-2013 at 04:05 PM.

RiskBreaker says thanks to Incognitus for this post.

RiskBreaker likes this.