MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics 1B03 prof question The Effekt Academics 0 06-13-2011 06:46 PM
How can you tell if your prof is in to you? Rakim General Discussion 32 03-11-2011 01:54 AM
No assigned prof yet? jdia Academics 11 07-28-2010 12:50 PM
physics 1b03 and math 1aa3 prof! hyvaa First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-13-2009 12:24 AM

Physics Prof ?

Old 08-11-2011 at 10:05 AM   #1
-Ish-

Liked: 56 Times

Physics Prof ?
Hey,
Could anyone give me some feedback on the following Profs for Physic 1B03 ?
1) Dr. Rheinstadter
2) Dr. Hughes
3) Dr. Nejat

Who would you choose ? Thanks guys
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:07 AM   #2
Andrew A
Elite Member

Liked: 80 Times

Hughes was a pretty good prof IMO. I don't have any experience with the others but Hughes at least is a safe bet.

-Ish- says thanks to Andrew A for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:21 AM   #3
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

You should use the search feature >_> I've done this post probably 10 times now, but:

Hughes is a good prof. She knows her stuff very well, and she's always willing to answer questions after class (as long as she isn't running to go teach another class). She will push you in class to answer questions, and to discuss concepts with the people around you in class. If she picks on you for an answer and you don't know, she will try to pry the answer from you by giving you hints until you get it :p

That said, her style is not for everyone. Her classes are unstructured note-wise: there are no .pdf notes, no slideshows, no printouts, nothing. It's her, a chalkboard, and whatever you choose to write down. If you can handle that, she's a great prof. If you need a very structured lecture, try someone else.

-Ish- says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:25 AM   #4
-Ish-

I did search Dr. Hughes lol sorry for posting up another thread. I didn't however find any info on Dr. Rheinstadter. Was hoping that someone could compare the three profs. Sorry agen =)
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:25 AM   #5
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

I had Hughes. She emphasizes understanding concepts in a general way and then applying them to a wide variety of problems. You won't get any traditional notes, but quite frankly, notes are useless if you come out of each class with a genuine understanding of the material. Physics was one of my least stressful courses (and one of by best ones) because, after each lecture and by doing the CAPA practice problems myself, I actually understood what was going on. No memorization needed.

That being said, Hughes isn't for everyone. There are quite a few people who hate her. If you want powerpoint slides and proper notes, go with Rheinstadter.

As for Nejat, I'm not sure what he's like.

-Ish- says thanks to TheCrucible for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:27 AM   #6
-Ish-

Are the mid-terms n final exams made by all three Profs ? or are there separate exams made by the Prof that is teaching you ?
Old 08-11-2011 at 10:58 AM   #7
Chevalier
Elite Member

Liked: 203 Times

IMO

- it really depends on the type of learner you are

IF your the type that learns best through examples, can teach them selves lessons form the text book, and likes a challenge than Hughes is the prof for you. i had hughes in my first year and found out quikly that i dont learn like this. she expects you to do the text book readings ahead of time, and make your own notes before coming to class. in class she usually goes quickly over the basic concepts ( no slides or notes just talks about them ) and asks if anyone had any questions about the readings ( usually no one asks anything ). after that shell go right into examples and get you to solve them and then do them with you. near the end of class ( and sometimes near the beggining too) shell put up i clicker questions which are worth marks. these can be easy sometimes and sometimes hard. more often than not the questions are conceptual and you need to have done the reading before hand to get them correct.

now

IF your the type that learns best through lessons given to you and you cant learn much through reading by yourself than rheinstadter is for you. i went to a couple of his classes in first year and found them to be much better suited to me. essentially he has notes, he puts up slides and goes over them. he outlines key points, things to remember, and had good examples for you. alot of the examples he uses in class are the same as hughes but he doesnt take much time on them ( in hughes class shell give you 10 min to solve on your own and then takes 5 min to go over the process and answer) in rhein's class you do it with him and he leads you along. this way he has time to do both the lesson and the examples. he also i clicker questions which are the same/easier difficulty IMO.

so yea it just depends on how you are and how you learn best
IF you can teach your self form a text book and want to do examplar questions all throughout class than hughes is for you
IF you want to be taught a lesson in class and have examples to go along with the concepts being taught than rhein is for you.

( personally i found rheins classes to be actual cores and hughes to be more like tutorials)

Last edited by Chevalier : 08-11-2011 at 11:02 AM.

-Ish- says thanks to Chevalier for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:00 AM   #8
Chevalier
Elite Member

as for the mid terms and exams.

if hughes is the only one teaching that sem then she is the one who will make them ( and they will be killer ) avg last year were like 40% no kid

if hughes and another prof are teaching the same term than i believe its mostly hughes whos creating the questions but the other profs ask her to tone it down a bit in terms of difficulty ( but they are still killer)

oh and btw i found the exam to be easier than the mids, i did much better on the exam

-Ish- says thanks to Chevalier for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:01 AM   #9
Zimonada

Liked: 34 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ish- View Post
Are the mid-terms n final exams made by all three Profs ? or are there separate exams made by the Prof that is teaching you ?
I always understood it that exams are made (or at least looked over or something) by all the profs teaching the course during the same term, to make it fair for everyone taking the course at the same time. At least that's what it was for our eng classes.

As for Nejat, it sounds like he teaches similarly to how TheCrucible said Hughes teaches: uses class to make sure you understand what you're learning, and posts up barebone notes and diagrams for things that aren't really as "concept-based". Then he'll teach you how to apply the concepts you've learned, rather than simply "learn to do problems". Plus, he has a funny accent. He's easily been my favourite prof I've had all year though.

-Ish- says thanks to Zimonada for this post.
Old 08-11-2011 at 11:04 AM   #10
Chevalier
Elite Member

^^^^ actually from what i remember hughes doesnt post up notes, not even barebone slides. i used rheinstadters notes and taught my self off of those.

on avenue under physics 1b03, youll see that each prof had their own little tab, and you can view anything under any of their tabs. hughes rarely posts anything other than assignments, if you want notes you can go under rheinstadters tab and get his notes.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:21 PM   #11
Bug324

Liked: 25 Times

Can we include Dr. Wilson in this to cover 1B03, term 1, as well? Hughes is teaching the other two cores for that one.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:24 PM   #12
L'Étoile
Tooth Fairy

Liked: 543 Times

Dr. Rheinstadter is the best, I was in another prof's class and I would go ask him for help all the time he is the nicest person ever and he understands his stuff !!!

On the other hand, Dr. Hughes does not know they invented the bra, wears the same outfit everyday, when she raises her hand you can see her armpit hair and she smells alot. On top of all of that she is very condescending. So no stay away from her.
Her classes are very unstructured, no powerpoint nothing she just rambles on every class and assigns homework.

McMaster University, Honours B.Sc. in Biology '13, Minor in Psychology

University of British Columbia, DMD '17, Doctor of Dental Medicine

Last edited by L'Étoile : 08-11-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-11-2011 at 02:27 PM   #13
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

^^^
I wouldn't say she's condescending at all.. She was very helpful to me. I stopped her in the hallway once after Physics 1BA3 with a friend because we had a problem with one of the questions and she sat down with us for 15+ mins to help work us through it, no questions asked/no attitude/no condescension

For the record:

I didn't particularly use the textbook. Like.. at all..

If you're in physics 1B03, you have taken grade 11 and 12 physics. No word of a lie, 1B03 is at least 50% (if not more) review. So while Hughes doesn't have notes, I feel like you shouldn't particularly need any.... Unless you barely passed physics in highscool.

Last edited by Freak705 : 08-11-2011 at 02:30 PM.

-Ish- says thanks to Freak705 for this post.

TheCrucible likes this.
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:33 PM   #14
Galleria

Liked: 10 Times

Just a quick question is this course 12 able? I'm willing to put in a lot of work and I got a high 90s for SPH4U so should I take it in the school year or the summer? I would prefer to take it during the year ofcourse.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:40 PM   #15
TheCrucible

Liked: 52 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galleria View Post
Just a quick question is this course 12 able? I'm willing to put in a lot of work and I got a high 90s for SPH4U so should I take it in the school year or the summer? I would prefer to take it during the year ofcourse.

Thanks!
It's definitely 12-able. I took summer school physics in high school, and it was my lowest mark. But Physics 1B03 actually turned out to be my highest mark.

You really have to be careful with the midterms and exam, though. That's where most people mess up. The midterms have 15 multiple choice questions each and are each worth 15% of your final grade (which makes each question worth 1% of your final grade). The exam is worse - it's worth 45% of your grade with only about 30 questions. And the questions are often designed to trick you. You have to really check over your work and make sure to avoid silly mistakes.

But, if you do all the CAPA problems and have a genuine understanding of the concepts, it won't be hard at all. You just need to put in the work.

Galleria says thanks to TheCrucible for this post.