MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Going to visit McMaster today to speak about rescinded offer - who should I contact? california First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 13 07-21-2010 03:46 PM
Frost Week 2010 Lineup Chad MacInsiders Announcements 6 01-06-2010 09:02 AM
McMaster Senate Voting Today Chad General Discussion 0 10-24-2007 10:55 AM
New McMaster home page launches today Chad ARCHIVES 1 10-21-2007 03:05 PM

Pickets lineup at McMaster today

Old 10-22-2009 at 12:57 PM   #16
Taunton
Elite Member

Liked: 598 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
A lot of people, especially community members and parents were quite appreciative that we were letting them know in advance of any potential labour disruption. People appreciate being given a heads up so they know what to expect. Our intention certainly isn't to scare people, but we certainly feel we have a responsibility to do something to get the community to notice.
Sure, let people know. There's no problem there.

Picketing is symbolic of a strike. Strikes cause fear and other strong emotions in a lot of people. Students are already stressed out with midterms and assignments. CUPE A-Holes have been misinforming students to freak them out... it's all scare tactics.

If you all were more reasonable in how you did things, you would garner a lot more respect from the majority of students. You're going about this the wrong way.

AYuen, DannyV, feonateresa, Maegs, Stan like this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 12:57 PM   #17
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

I'm actually more concerned with what information the university is passing on to us. Which at this point is nothing.

If there should be a strike, the university hasn't said how student will/will not be affected and I think that is a huge problem.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

ramirez.a likes this.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:03 PM   #18
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I'm actually more concerned with what information the university is passing on to us. Which at this point is nothing.

If there should be a strike, the university hasn't said how student will/will not be affected and I think that is a huge problem.
I agree. At least they aren't misinforming students though... the post that John made on the "potential TA strike" thread really got to me. He's having to deal with freaked out psych students who have a midterm next friday... CUPE people have been telling them the strike can happen next friday, which it obviously can't.
Old 10-22-2009 at 01:05 PM   #19
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
I agree. At least they aren't misinforming students though... the post that John made on the "potential TA strike" thread really got to me. He's having to deal with freaked out psych students who have a midterm next friday... CUPE people have been telling them the strike can happen next friday, which it obviously can't.
You can't say that all of the CUPE members are though...because there are some (and several that post on MI) who aren't.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 10-22-2009 at 01:07 PM   #20
Taunton
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
You can't say that all of the CUPE members are though...because there are some (and several that post on MI) who aren't.
I agree, and I appreciate the more reasonable members. It doesn't matter in the end though... if at any one time you're representing a group, and at that time you do something stupid, then it will automatically look bad on said group.
Old 10-22-2009 at 02:51 PM   #21
lawleypop
I am Prince Vegeta.

Liked: 1,373 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taunton View Post
Yea, I think I saw the guy John was talking about. He was standing right in front of the student center saying there was going to be a strike on friday and how you HAVE to let your friends know because it WILL affect you.

Good thing for MI. Otherwise I would have been like all the other students and saying "OMFG A STRIKE ON FRIDAY?!?!?"

Mathematically it makes about as much sense as
(pineapple)$$*cucumbe r*.

Taunton says thanks to lawleypop for this post.
Old 10-22-2009 at 06:17 PM   #22
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsahota View Post
A lot of people, especially community members and parents were quite appreciative that we were letting them know in advance of any potential labour disruption. People appreciate being given a heads up so they know what to expect. Our intention certainly isn't to scare people, but we certainly feel we have a responsibility to do something to get the community to notice.
I'm not saying it was anyone's intention to scare the students.
But I don't think the person who decided "Let's picket to give out information to the community" didn't realize it would look like a strike was going on. I think everyone was pretty aware what it would look like.

There were better ways of going about this situation. There are a lot of ways to give out information about strikes that don't involve picketing.

Taunton likes this.