MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
picking courses for 2ND year HUMANITIES program bella.gucci Academics 2 06-01-2010 11:23 AM
Easy 3rd year science courses zemianr Academics 8 05-22-2010 04:42 PM
Need help picking between courses kumquat Academics 8 06-16-2009 10:54 PM
Social Science 2nd Year Courses...HELP!! Ruggedman Academics 9 04-06-2009 03:22 PM

Picking 2nd Year Courses [science]

Old 06-07-2010 at 06:20 PM   #1
siefer1322

Liked: 96 Times

Picking 2nd Year Courses [science]
Hi to all. I have recently entered Honours Life Science program and entering 2nd year. I have found that the course selection is a bit different from first year. As opposed to first year, you do not have a strick layout of which courses you need to take (ex. 6 units out of these 3, 3 units out of these, etc).

I was told the only mandatory course for my program is LIFE SCI 2B03 - CELL BIOLOGY and everything else is optional for me (can anyone confirm this?). In the Undergraduate Calendar I have found all the Life Sciences courses available to me and there was about 7 courses in total for 2nd year. Does that mean I can choose any amount I want of these and the rest of my courses can be electives? For example, 4 from the life science list, and 6 electives.

If so, I am in understanding that the electives can be anything available in the Undergraduate Calendar that does not have a prerequisite that I do not have. However, I find that most 2nd year electives have prerequisites, does that mean that I can take 1st year courses since they usually do not have prerequisites and is that what people enrolled in 2nd year life science do?

Ugh, really hoping that someone who has gone through this before can explain this to me and point out anything I am not correct about.
Old 06-07-2010 at 06:41 PM   #2
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

First of all I highly recommend that you talk to an academic councellor first. Either in BSB for the Science office or

For Life Sciences program specific questions, please contact Sarah Robinson via [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Please remember to include your student number and name in your email message.

Beucase Life Science as you have noticed allows for a broad experience of topics in Science you want to make sure that the courses and pre-requisites that you have best reflect the field or future career that you are interested.

From the Academic Calendar it looks like you can fulfill your degree requirements by taking almost any course in the sciences as your course list is quite expansive and it should be 36 units. From http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1957.html

Levels II-IV: 90 units (REQUIREMENTS FOR STUDENTS WHO ENTERED IN SEPTEMBER 2009)

3 unitsLIFE SCI 2A039 unitsfrom LIFE SCI 2B03, 2C03, 2D03, 2EE3, 2F03, 2H036 unitsfrom LIFE SCI 3A03, 3B03, 3C03, 3DD336 units from the Honours Life Sciences Course List, of which at least 18 units must be Levels III, IV0-3 units from BIOLOGY 1A03, 1M03 (or 1AA3), PSYCH 1X03 (or 1AA3), 1XX3 (or 1A03) if not completed in Level I0-3 units from PHYSICS 1B03, 1L03 if not completed in Level I (See Admission Note 1 above.)30-36 units Electives

If there are courses outside of psychology and science that you wish to take, if they are first year courses or not it looks like you have 30-36 units of electives (watch out for how many units of first year classes you can take).

Once again as I am not qualified to instruct students I recommend you go see a councellor (the Life Sci one is your best bet) or you can always make an appointement with a prof that teaches in life science). So you can assure you get the best our of your 4 years

Good Luck
Old 06-07-2010 at 06:44 PM   #3
salimak

Liked: 21 Times

just as a note you should have the pre-reqs for most science courses but if its outside, for example Anthropology, most people take the first year course and then you can take the other courses later. What helps me is to look at upper year courses I like and then work backwards to make sure I have the prerequisites to get there.
Old 06-07-2010 at 06:53 PM   #4
ae1011

Liked: 0 Times

If you like Biology, I recommend taking Bio 2A03 and 2C03. They are required/ recommended for 3rd year biology courses.
Old 06-07-2010 at 07:09 PM   #5
Rakim
Account Locked

Liked: 815 Times

Life Sci 2BO3 is NOT a required course.

The only required course is Life Sci 2A03.

Then you need 9 units from the remaining life sci courses, which are: LIFE SCI 2B03, 2C03, 2D03, 2EE3, 2F03, 2H036

Hope that helps

Last edited by kaka22 : 06-07-2010 at 07:11 PM.