MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Places for dry cleaning in hamilton? rcmp1234 General Discussion 1 02-11-2012 05:01 PM
Fun things to do for cheap in Hamilton? Kathy2 General Discussion 16 03-07-2010 11:25 AM
Places to Go/See in Hamilton. lorend General Discussion 18 08-17-2009 04:14 PM
Things To Do in Hamilton On Campus summer Local Hotspots & Travel 0 06-29-2008 09:11 AM

Places/Things to do for first date in Hamilton

Old 09-15-2012 at 01:46 AM   #16
Marooner

Liked: 59 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by paronjd View Post
I took my broad to the drive in theater in Stoney Creek. Lots of people surprisingly haven't been there, so it may intrigue her if she has never been and it's cheap too
Sounds like a real ladies man.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 09-17-2012 at 12:14 PM   #17
Chris23
Account Locked

Liked: 287 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiemurphy View Post
Thanks, but I'm not in first year. Really tho? People like different things? Just saying, your only this age once, even if you don't like clubs you might as well seize the opportunity. Personally, I think most people would find dinner and walking around a little boring. Especially on a first date when its going to be awkward, going to dinner where you have to talk for an hour straight isn't good for a first date. Movies are good, $5 tuesday in jackson square.
OK so you must either been out of the game for a while, or you just have a lack of social skills. the whole point of a first date is to get to know each other, which is why going out for a walk or food/drinks would be good to get a conversation going. Going to a movie is the worst first date, you can go sit in a theatre with anyone and you dont say two words to each other. Just saying

Old 09-17-2012 at 03:05 PM   #18
Leo.ca

Liked: 0 Times

you can go to the lake
Old 09-17-2012 at 05:26 PM   #19
Allana:)

Liked: 46 Times

If the weather is nice, walk around Cootes.
Dinner at pretty much any restaurant. Some examples include ESM, BP, Kelsey's, Bean Bar... This option can obviously be combined with other options.
Movie at Westdale theatre. Nice surroundings, but not so great for interaction, so it should be paired with another activity, such as dinner.
A stroll, possibly with tea or ice cream.
Limeridge.
The Planetarium at McMaster. I like to make a date out of going to Centro and the Planetarium. It's way cheaper than dinner and a movie.
The Art Gallery of Hamilton.
The Art Gallery at Mac.
A Bach Elgar Choir concert. (Just thought I'd slip that in, because I'm a member. )
A Music concert at Mac. There are several. Just go on the Music section of the Mac website to find the when, the what and the where.
Bowling.

Hope I was helpful!
Old 09-17-2012 at 05:43 PM   #20
ZSimon
Elite Member

Liked: 311 Times

Don't go near Barton Street.

lifesciman1 likes this.
Old 09-17-2012 at 07:08 PM   #21
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,312 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
...Going to a movie is the worst first date, you can go sit in a theatre with anyone and you dont say two words to each other. Just saying
I go to the jackson movies all the time and sometimes get an empty or sparsely populated theatre and proceed to pick apart everything in the movie and just joke around, haha.. easier to do in the summer though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZSimon View Post
Don't go near Barton Street.
Thanks, that's really helpful; you're really deserving of your community engagement co-ordinator title, denouncing entire communities and all.

Last edited by RyanC : 09-17-2012 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-21-2012 at 07:43 PM   #22
muhammadali

there's a nice beach if you go down rymal rd or you can take her bowling at splittsville (its a really nice place).
Old 09-21-2012 at 10:13 PM   #23
danielson

Ancaster Fair this weekend. Check it out.
Old 09-21-2012 at 11:11 PM   #24
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 521 Times

a nice restaurant up the Mountain
Old 09-22-2012 at 09:28 AM   #25
JordanW

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Ok. SO if you want to have a lame date and spend tons f money do any of the above. Seriously movies absolutely suck for a date, you can't talk, it's dark and you're not even looking at eachother. Second dinner is expensive, you don't know if you like this person yet why should you spend money on them?

SO. Cheap date? Grab a coffee/tea/hot beverage from a cafe in westdale and go to the bird sanctuary at the end of dalewood. It's only open Sunday but it's free, it's a cool place and some of the birds are hilarious.

Another good cheap date? Go roller skating on an outdoor roller rink right on the lake front. What? There's a roller skating rink in Hamilton? Yes. And it's an ice skating rink in the winter. How expensive? $5 for a pair of skates, and there's a live DJ on Friday nights.

Going to see any of the waterfalls in Hamilton is also really nice, Webster's is walkable and there's 2 other water falls nearby as well.

Yet another cheap date is the space observatory on campus. Wednesdays they have shows open to students for $5 if you like space and stars and stuff.

And then there's James St. The trendiest place in hamilton. Tons of cafes, coffee, music stores and art galleries.

If you have a bit more money? Go check out a Ti-Cats game.

TL;DR

Birds sanctuary, Roller/Ice skating, Waterfalls, Space, Art Galleries, Football game.

Old 09-22-2012 at 10:17 AM   #26
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

la piazza allegra is an amazing restaurant up the mountain.
It was even voted the most romantic restaurant in 1999.
food's really good and dining atmosphere is cozy and intimate.
it can be a little expensive though ~100+ so...
Old 09-22-2012 at 01:19 PM   #27
Amaryll
My math prof is hotter.

Liked: 326 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanW View Post
Second dinner is expensive, you don't know if you like this person yet why should you spend money on them?
Definitely agree with movies being a horrible way to get to know someone. However, uh. Fuck chivalry, pay for your own food? I know I'd personally never expect a guy to pay on a date when we wouldn't even know each other very well (in fact, wouldn't let him at all, but that's another topic). Particularly with the more-common-than-you-think attitude of "I insisted on paying for dinner, so now I should get something out of it."

Yes, I know not everyone thinks that.

Anyway, if she's offended or something if you don't offer to pay for her food, that miiight be an indication that you want to gtfo.

And yes, waterfalls. So pretty, especially in autumn.
Old 09-22-2012 at 04:13 PM   #28
jamescw1234
The Awkward One

Liked: 467 Times

I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would never take anyone to a chain restaurant on a first date. I think people like it if you take them somewhere new and exciting. But that's just me.

James CW
McMaster University-Bachelor's of Social Work and Bachelor's of Arts in Sociology (2012)
York University-Masters of Social Work (2014-2015)
Old 09-23-2012 at 01:38 PM   #29
AngryBean
Account Locked

Liked: 129 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamescw1234 View Post
I'm not sure about anyone else, but I would never take anyone to a chain restaurant on a first date. I think people like it if you take them somewhere new and exciting. But that's just me.
I agree. I think foodchains are more for either family events or just getting a fast snack on the long way somewhere. Really taking your date to a puke-fested McDonald's somewhere in downtown ghetto is not a good way to show off. I am not saying you have to take her to a 6 star place and lose a grand over a night, but there's still plenty good options.
Old 10-03-2012 at 01:13 PM   #30
eddiemurphy
Account Locked

Liked: 35 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris23 View Post
OK so you must either been out of the game for a while, or you just have a lack of social skills. the whole point of a first date is to get to know each other, which is why going out for a walk or food/drinks would be good to get a conversation going. Going to a movie is the worst first date, you can go sit in a theatre with anyone and you dont say two words to each other. Just saying
LOL. I let my looks do all the talking for me. With one look I can take the relationship to the next level.