origins 1lu3 and astron 2eo3 paula112 Academics 2 07-01-2011 03:05 PM
Astronomy??? Taylor.C. Academics 1 06-09-2010 03:34 PM
Planetary Astronomy ASTRON 2E03 Darren W Academics 6 07-15-2009 09:18 AM

planetary astronomy, astron 2eo3

Old 08-12-2011 at 12:40 PM   #1
paula112

Liked: 3 Times

planetary astronomy, astron 2eo3
Hi, I'm taking planetary astronomy in 2nd sem, (1fo3 in 1st term)

Has anyone ever taken this course b4???????

I tried to find reviews for this course but there wasn't any =(

And i am kind of scared cuz ppl said astro 1fo3 is harrddd (but i am keeping it cuz it seems interesting)

thnx
Old 08-12-2011 at 01:04 PM   #2
Freak705
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

Hey!

Astronomy 1F03 was probably my favourite course in first year. If you are familiar with physics, the class is quite easy. If you are not, you'll be introduced to some rather simple (high-school level) physics dealing with energy/light and some gravitation. If you are at all interested in Astronomy, you'll probably be very motivated to do well. The first part of the course deals with observational astronomy, learning the history of astronomy, and a bit about the original models we had for the solar system.

Afterwards, you'll focus on how stars work, how they form and mature (stellar evolution), and how they eventually die. You'll learn about their composition for spectroscopy, which leads in to some physics with doppler shifts due to the motion of stars (you have an equation to plug them in to, it's not that difficult). You'll also learn about extrasolar planets and how we detect them. There's also a bit about galaxies and their formation and classifications, and a bit about cosmology and the fate of the universe.

There are weekly assignments done online that have questions that range from mind-numbingly simple to tricky. Generally they're on the easy side. From when I took it, there was a large set of practice problems for the 1 midterm. These questions were hard, far harder than the midterm itself. If the course is similar to that, then keeping on top of reading and class material will be enough for you to do quite well! From just studying lecture material, I got a 12 in the class =)

Planetary Astronomy is definitely a harder course. Sadly it was a morning class, and I missed a lot of lectures, but I did keep up with the material. You learn about the planets (obviously) in a lot more detail. Most of the material deals with the history and formation of the planets themselves. You learn about significant geological formations and regions on the planets, you learn about other solar system bodies (classification of meteors/asteroids), and you learn about the mechanics of atmosphere loss (ie Mars and its very thin atmosphere) as well as some gas dynamics that are relevant to Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus & Neptune. There is some complicated math involved and presented during lecture (enough to make my eyes glaze over and my brain tune off), but from my experience these did NOT show up on either the midterm or the exam.

That said, the midterm and exam are not multiple choice. You need to know your stuff, and it's hard to tell what will be tested. Almost any random detail is fair game. I personally took the midterm for granted in that I thought it would be easy... Know your stuff going in to it or you will not do well. As far as the exam went, I thought it was easier than the midterm.

The bulk of your non-test marks come from a series of assignments during the term. These assignments have the most complicated math you are expected to do, but it's not that bad. The hardest thing is probably dealing with a relatively simple integration and mathematical proof. But you have ample time to finish the assignments. They are probably written and re-written every year, and Dr. Welch likes to direct you to NASA website to answer questions about recent and relevant NASA missions. Those types of assignments are generally very easy. If you take your time on these assignments and do well, they will BOOST your mark! Overall, as with 1F03, if you are truly interested in Astronomy you will like the course =)

For the record, my physics/math background: 11's in Physics 1B03 and 1BA3, 12 in Math 1LS3
If you are not a physics/math person, take my comments about "easiness" with a grain of salt perhaps.

Last edited by Freak705 : 08-12-2011 at 01:11 PM.

paula112 says thanks to Freak705 for this post.
Old 08-12-2011 at 01:46 PM   #3
paula112

Liked: 3 Times

THANKS!!! it helps a lot!
I did take physics 1bo3 1bb3, and bot B even after failing mid-term
(i never went to class either and i regret it :()
and I'm taking math 1ao3/1aa3 this year ( i'm transferring from queen's)
I'm majoring in physics, so it shudn't be a problem =)) thanks!!!!