MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Political Science 1G06 soso Academics 0 06-20-2010 09:53 PM
Could I get by in Political Science 2XX3 without having taken 1G06? Ryan V Academics 2 07-27-2009 02:21 PM

Political Science 1G06

Old 04-28-2009 at 10:45 PM   #16
HeatherH
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 10 Times

Political Science 1G06
This course is a necessary for anyone wanting to go into Political Science. Even if you don't plan on pursuing Political Science, I would suggest taking this course. It's good to have basic knowledge of this kind of stuff.

I took it in 2006 with Professor Tunc, so I assume the course...
Old 05-04-2011 at 05:29 AM   #15
husainsb

Liked: 0 Times
I took this course in my first year with Alway. Great teacher and a great course, highly recommend it.
Old 06-02-2011 at 10:27 PM   #16
fabittyfab

I had professor Alway for this course - he is super super great. I think I'm the reason my relationship with PoliSci 1G06 didn't work out this year. If you're not interested in the material (which I wasn't) DO NOT TAKE THIS COURSE. I actually took it as a last resort to fill up the rest of my units. It wasn't as easy as I hoped it would be - I found it hard to pay attention in class/ hated having to participate in tutorials discussing things I didn't really care about. If you want to learn about politics this is the course for you but if you're not really actively interested I wouldn't count on this course as a filler or fly-by course.

Take note: Alway talks realllly fast. Stretch your fingers before class if you plan on taking notes
Old 06-15-2011 at 11:23 AM   #17
polkadots

Alway is awesome! Just listening to him talk made the material stick in my head. There's an annotated bibliography and a final ten page essay. Tutorial is all about discussion, and you have group presentations every other week on a certain topic. The midterm and final exams were 40% for each term. He gives you twelve questions and tells you six that will be on the exam. Of that you must write essays on three of them in three hours. SO its pretty easy to do well on the exams if you prepare your answers.
Old 08-02-2011 at 10:14 AM   #18
rajguj

I am taking this course to complete a social science requirement.I have never taken political science before.And I am not good at essays.... any tips or suggestions for me on this course?
Old 09-11-2011
katie.gringm
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 09-11-2011 at 08:16 PM   #19
aurocks14

Liked: 7 Times
anyone know if the textbook is necessary?
Old 09-15-2011 at 12:33 PM   #20
sanghera.y

Great class to take even if you're not planning to major in political science, you become a better citizen by learning about your country - it's information that you'll find helpful too you in a practical way. Dr. Alway is a great professor to introduce this course to students who may have little to no experience with politics.

textbook is pretty mandatory you'll definitely be needing it for your exam

Last edited by jhan523 : 09-15-2011 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Use Edit :\
Old 11-29-2011 at 06:22 PM   #21
rajguj

I havent been going to the lectures in a month. I am in engineering and had other stuff to do. For the exam text book is sufficient or his lecture notes are better ?
Old 12-05-2011 at 11:57 AM   #22
enjen123

This is such an awesome course, Dr. Alway is great at explaining things and he makes the class fun, rather than boring. The workload isn't too bad either.
Old 06-20-2012 at 10:39 AM   #23
AndreK

Political Science 1G06 Review
Overall Rating 10
Professor Rating 10
Interest 10
Easiness 8

I need to say upfront, that if you say that you are interested in political science and also say that you do not like to write essays, you are contradicting yourself.

This course is very much "you get out of it what you are looking to get out of it". It's a very broad introduction to the different areas of study in political science. Those who love everything about politics and come into the class with a decent knowledge base will not find it difficult to get at least a 10 (12pt scale).

The first term introduces Comparative Politics and Political Theory. Easily this is the less interesting term, but with Alway as the prof THE CLASS IS NEVER BORING! Alway is a great prof. He explains and presents his lectures very well, and posts his notes online so that you can pay attention to his lectures and contribute to class discussions. His office hours are flexible and he goes out of his way to help his students.

The second term introduces Canadian Politics and International Politics. This is definitely the more interesting term. Both terms have essays to write... get used to doing nothing but write essays if you go into the field of political science. The second term essay gives you the option to write about any political topic you want! This was quite considerate (and frankly, fun), allowing people to write on whatever issue they are interested in.

The exams are, you guessed it, more essays. You are given a list of topics and usually write an essay each for 3 of them. Alway discloses the topics on the exam beforehand, so there is no reason to not have prepared some well detailed essays for the final.

I never even touched my political science textbooks all year long because most of the time I could go off my own research and Alway's notes. Overall, this is a very easy course for anyone interested in the political realm.
Old 07-07-2012 at 01:08 PM   #24
Lawstudent

Liked: 6 Times
All essays in this course. Not easy at all. Learned nothing and could not understand prof in this course. Avoid it. I was a Political Science major. This course turned me away from pursuing it any further. I ended with an A- because I worked my ass off. Hated it.
Old 08-06-2012 at 10:09 PM   #25
AnanC206
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 2 Times
I'm kind of interested in taking this course, but some of the negative reviews are turning me off. I really don't like writing essays, and I know this is an essay heavy course. Could someone give me an example of an essay topic? Also I'm a life sci major, so I have a fairly demanding schedule. Would taking this course add on extra pressure? Should I just stick with geography and economics which are my current electives? Thanks!
Old 08-17-2012 at 12:33 PM   #26
Goran

Liked: 43 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnanC206 View Post
I'm kind of interested in taking this course, but some of the negative reviews are turning me off. I really don't like writing essays, and I know this is an essay heavy course. Could someone give me an example of an essay topic? Also I'm a life sci major, so I have a fairly demanding schedule. Would taking this course add on extra pressure? Should I just stick with geography and economics which are my current electives? Thanks!
I don't think 1G06 is really that essay heavy. I mean there's 2 essays for a 6 unit course, contrast that with something like Geo 1HA3/1HB3 which have 4 assignments ( one of which is an essay and a group project on top of that).

I found the essays pretty easy, especially if you meet up with your TA beforehand and discuss your ideas for the essay. Generally for topics you get a list and can choose whichever, for example, I did my big essay on the negative impact of globalization on the state.

In terms of extra pressure/work, if you can handle geography courses this should be a breeze too. Lots of people get intimidated by the essays, but this is a 1st year course, they really don't expect too much. I'd also recommend not getting the text, the lectures tend to go over important material and its a waste of $100+ to get a book that has basic info you can get on Google.
Old 09-15-2012 at 08:15 PM   #27
A.Qureshi

BEST PROF EVER!!!!!! super easy, TA are kind of a pain though

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search