MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Need help deciding: Political Theory and French Language Practice II siddiquo Academics 3 06-12-2011 03:32 PM
Theory vs Common sense darklink121 General Discussion 3 03-07-2011 08:26 PM
POLSCI 3N06 (Bierling) danmaclennan Academics 6 09-09-2010 03:50 PM
need help!! poli-sci 2o06 twilight Academics 0 06-19-2010 08:53 PM

Polsci 2o06: Political Theory

Published by MCMashetty
05-01-2012
Published by

Course Breakdown:

• Term I assignment—30%
• Term II assignment—30%
• Final examination—30%
• Tutorial participation—10%

As stated before, this course is broken down into 2 terms, with 1 assignment and 4 books covered per term. The first term covers the works of Plato(The Republic), Thomas Moore (Utopia), Machiavelli (The Prince), and Locke (The Second Treatise). The second term covers the works of Jean-Jacques Rousseau (Basic Political Writings), Alexis de Tocqueville (Democracy in America), Karl Marx (Selected Writings), and Max Weber (The Vocation Lectures).

This is a fairly easy course. I'm gonna break it down by term, because the profs are different and expect different things. Also, I think Professor Seaman is retiring this year, so there is probably going to be a different prof for first term. Anyway, first term you can largely coast through, as the only mark that counts is the assignment. I hardly went to any lectures in 1st semester. Lectures tended to be regurgitation of the books. It is, however, important to read the books, and understand the concepts within them, as they will be at the center of your tutorial discussions. Moreover, the concepts discussed will carry on as themes in second semester, so it's important that you get them down early. The focus of the assignment (at least with Professor Seaman) was a dissection of an individual author. It's not too difficult if you've been reading up (or attending lectures), and you're given a lot of time to do it.

Second semester is slightly different than first, because professor Ingram is slightly harder. In addition the text and themes are slightly more advanced. You really have to pay attention to these books, and on occasion, have to go back and reread them a couple of times to understand them (especially with Rousseau). I would advise going to lecture, and taking detailed notes. Professor Ingram likes to make comparisons between books in the lectures and those comparisons will be helpful for the assignment. Unlike the first semester, the second term assignment is not a dissection of an individual author, but rather, an analyzation of the similarities and differences between 2 different authors. The assignment is given to you rather late (towards the beggining of March) and you're given a lot less time to work on it (about 2 weeks), so I would try and figure out a schedule that works. When I had to do this assignment, it came at the same time as some of my other assignments were due, and it became a hectic rush to try and get everything in on time. Just try and book off some days in advance.

Overall, this is a great course. You're getting insight into the minds of some of the most famous philosophers in history. The ideas explored and the themes that are tackled are things that will apply, both to an observation of society and to the field of political science. The content of their books is sure to spark some interest, even if the writings style itself doesn't. I can guarantee that sticking with this course will prove to be a rewarding experience.

jshoker, swagonlock all say thanks to MCMashetty for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Polsci 2o06: Political Theory!

Old 06-11-2012 at 05:00 PM   #2
jshoker

Liked: 0 Times
Thanks for this! I was a bit apprehensive considering it is mandatory for me but great review!
Old 06-16-2012 at 05:47 PM   #3
Emmzzz

Ouu Thanks for the review!
Old 06-20-2012 at 12:24 PM   #4
AndreK

Political Theory 2O06 Review
2011-2012

Overall Rating 9
Professor Rating 8
Interest 10
Easiness 8

I took this class as an elective in my first year because I was extremely interested in the material. It is synonymous with Political Philosophy, so know that political theory is very different from other political science fields. Many upper year students urged me not to take this course because it is a difficult course, and frankly, it is.

However, I would argue that it can also be very easy. In fact, all you are required to do, is read some historically groundbreaking political treatises that span from ancient to modern times, and understand what these different political theorists thought of the political realm and human nature. The marking scheme is also very simple: 1 essay each term, tutorial participation, and a final examination.

It was a lot of hard work interpreting the texts and creating thorough essays, but when you consider that this was all the course was, it was in fact pretty light in terms of course work. The final exam is also extremely straightforward if you paid attention in class and read all the books.

Ironically I ended up with a higher grade in this course than any of my first-year courses. I found the political treatises fascinating, loved the course material, and was interested in the different interpretations put forth by the professors; so this was a cherished course for me.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search