MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post-Graduate Series Part Six: Graduate School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 2 05-06-2009 12:19 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Five: Law School lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 7 05-03-2009 03:43 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Four: MBA lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 10-01-2008 07:00 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part Two: Teachers College dreus Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-26-2008 07:48 PM
Post-Graduate Series Part One: Introduction lorend Post-Graduate Advice Series 0 06-22-2008 03:47 PM

Post-Graduate Series Part Three: Medical School

Old 07-01-2009 at 08:51 PM   #61
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Oh joy. I loathe those stupid pink marks.. or whatever colour they are at Mac =F
Old 07-02-2009 at 01:16 AM   #62
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Oh joy. I loathe those stupid pink marks.. or whatever colour they are at Mac =F
Green/Black.

And you were learn to love them.
Old 07-02-2009 at 09:12 PM   #63
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely something to look forward to... At least they're not pink XD
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:15 AM   #64
shreya s.

Liked: 0 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Yeah, getting 12 GPA is hard... You have to get a 12 in 30units!!!! That's ridiculous! How can you be good in everything?! HOWWWWW!!!!???? Lol

well... if you were applying to uoft medschool, its possible ...
they drop 6 of your lowest half year courses... =D
that gave me hope a tiny bit of hope.... cus for mcmaster .. i was doomed :(
stupid first year laziness... messed up on two of my courses.. really bad .. :(
Old 07-03-2009 at 10:52 AM   #65
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreya s. View Post
well... if you were applying to uoft medschool, its possible ...
they drop 6 of your lowest half year courses... =D
that gave me hope a tiny bit of hope.... cus for mcmaster .. i was doomed :(
stupid first year laziness... messed up on two of my courses.. really bad .. :(
Lol, but that's like 6 courses out of 30 or 40... But yes, chances a much higher.
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:11 AM   #66
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Definitely, and also summer courses do not count towards your CGPA that they calculate. So I guess that helps as well
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:37 AM   #67
PTGregD
Elite Member

Liked: 349 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara_h216 View Post
Definitely, and also summer courses do not count towards your CGPA that they calculate. So I guess that helps as well
Wouldn't you want summer courses to count? I was under the impression that they were easier than courses during the school year.
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:38 AM   #68
shreya s.

Liked: 0 Times

it is...

but well... you can only gain something by losing something...

mac medschool counts everything, including summer school courses.
Old 07-03-2009 at 11:41 AM   #69
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 507 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTGregD View Post
Wouldn't you want summer courses to count? I was under the impression that they were easier than courses during the school year.
They are and they aren't. You usually get the same amount of material thrown at you to complete in less time (from the Soc Sci and Humanities courses I've taken at least). Some profs mark a little bit easier because they know you're under a time restraint, but a lot do not.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-03-2009 at 12:01 PM   #70
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
They are and they aren't. You usually get the same amount of material thrown at you to complete in less time (from the Soc Sci and Humanities courses I've taken at least). Some profs mark a little bit easier because they know you're under a time restraint, but a lot do not.
But you also have more time per course. Since you are only taking 1 or 2 courses, you only have to study for 1 or 2 courses compared to 5. So really it balances out.
Old 07-03-2009 at 12:03 PM   #71
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

You're actually studying for 2-4 courses, as you are completing the same amount of work in half the time. Remember you're having six hours of class a week with only one course.

Don't forget a lot of people work in the summer, so if you're working full-time hours and taking a class or classes you end up with a lot less time than you would during the academic year.

We are people of this generation, bred in at least modest comfort, housed in universities, looking uncomfortably into the world we inherit. -- Port Huron Statement

Old 07-03-2009 at 02:24 PM   #72
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

But also you can take a course you don't like in the summer, instead of taking an easy course to boost your marks (which you can take during the year to balance your workload). And the intensity of summer courses depends on the type of course and like danielle said.. what you're doing in the summer

Yes I know Mac takes all courses. But in the end it depends on where each person is planning to apply anyway.
Old 07-03-2009 at 08:52 PM   #73
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

Summer school isn't necessarily always easier than taking the course during the year.

I've found that certain courses, Chem 2OA3, requires a spacing out of information in order to fully grasp what's going on in lecture. If course concepts build on information learnt in another chapter, then you end up sitting in the lecture wondering what's going on. Our prof simply "assumed" that we knew what was going on and ended up teaching 3 organic chemistry textbook chapters in 1 3 hour lecture. We also covered more than the 2OA3 class did in the school term ...

It really depends on the course really.
Old 07-13-2009 at 01:21 AM   #74
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

But even though the material might be more condensed than during the school year, you have the advantage that you don't have to worry about anything else but that specific course for that particular time period, which I think is definitely a +.
How much easier or harder depends on the person and on the course of course
Old 08-20-2009 at 10:00 PM   #75
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

The person who helped me write this article was interviewed on his perspective of being in a band and in med school at the same time. Check it out: http://talentegg.ca/incubator/2009/0...oose/#comments

~*Sara*~ likes this.