MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Posters on Campus resh.jyoti General Discussion 3 09-09-2010 04:03 PM
Top Posters For June 2010 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 22 07-18-2010 12:47 PM
Top Posters for May 2010 Chad MacInsiders Announcements 16 06-08-2010 10:40 AM
please help me before i throw my computer against the wall! lorend General Discussion 41 09-05-2009 01:23 PM

Posters + Wall Decoration Stuffs

Old 08-20-2009 at 10:56 PM   #1
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Posters + Wall Decoration Stuffs
So, I recently moved into a new place in Hamilton. My old apartment = petri dish, my new apartment = about 3-4 times bigger. I think my old apartment could fit in my new living room. :0

Anyway, all that aside, I wanted to know if any of you know where I can get cool posters or wall decorations or funky frames, all that sort of stuff; and talk about how you decorate your res or your house. ;]

And if anyone says they have a Megan Fox poster in their room, well, ... tsk, tsk.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:02 PM   #2
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by feonateresa View Post
So, I recently moved into a new place in Hamilton. My old apartment = petri dish, my new apartment = about 3-4 times bigger. I think my old apartment could fit in my new living room. :0

Anyway, all that aside, I wanted to know if any of you know where I can get cool posters or wall decorations or funky frames, all that sort of stuff; and talk about how you decorate your res or your house. ;]

And if anyone says they have a Megan Fox poster in their room, well, ... tsk, tsk.
I usually get my posters from walmart (when I go to the states) and mind games. There's actually comic books stores in downtown Toronto that sell posters but I didn't find any good ones (surprisingly) when I went there.

I like super heroes. Iron Man is cool and Flash is awesome. I really like Batman because he's basically like a normal guy, just really rich. So it's very inspiring and leads me to think: Get rich -> become super hero XD.

So yeah, basically I have super hero posters ^-^
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:04 PM   #3
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Besides the poster sale we have every year at MUSC, I like to go to thrift stores like Value Village. I always seem to find a quirky painting or vase that I can use in my bedroom at home. Since I can't nail anything into the wall of my room at Mac I tend to buy smaller paintings, or paint things myself on small canvases and display them on my bookcase (they double as book ends) or sometimes if I have a big canvas I'll just lean it against the wall.

Also, about the thrift store. I like to get things that look like junk from the thrift store, clean it up, paint it and reuse it for something completely different. For example, I found this old and large motor bike frame (for free!) and I cleaned it up, left it outside for a couple of weeks to rust some more and then cut off the handle bars and added a sheet of plexiglass over top to create a cool table. I can't use it in my room so I gave it to my sister.

So what I'm saying is make the posters yourself! That way you get a unique design and it usually suits your tastes better.

If not, go for a black and white theme. That works in almost every space and you can get a lot of black and white posters at the poster sale in MUSC.

feonateresa likes this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:09 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

IMAGINUS!(The poster sale that comes to Mac several times a year)

That's where I got "Map of the Sky" which is up in my bedroom wall. (: (It's detailed and has nice colouring / gold foil...kinda classy)

Old 08-20-2009 at 11:15 PM   #5
Harrisium

Liked: Liked 2 Times

Regarding the suggestion to make your own posters...
I've seen people make posters out of their own images using this tool http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/ . It rasterizes and enlarges any photo you choose and you print it out yourself. If it's done well, it can look pretty nice.

feonateresa, xxsumz like this.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:17 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
There's actually comic books stores in downtown Toronto that sell posters but I didn't find any good ones (surprisingly) when I went there.

So yeah, basically I have super hero posters ^-^
Comic book store downtown... do you mean Silver Snail on Queen West?? I go in there every once in a while, I'll see if they have any cool posters next time I'm down. :]

Quote:
Originally Posted by parikhn View Post
So what I'm saying is make the posters yourself! That way you get a unique design and it usually suits your tastes better.

If not, go for a black and white theme. That works in almost every space and you can get a lot of black and white posters at the poster sale in MUSC.
DIY sounds amazing really, because it's ... well like you said, it represents you. I have this idea of getting like, pieces of wood or cardboard, and wrapping it over in a nice piece of patterned fabric or design and putting it up. The black & white colour scheme sounds great, unfortunately my boyfriend is into like... zombie and horror films, so a lot of his posters are a little on the dark side which isn't really my taste haha.

I loooooove Imaginus. Heart.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:19 PM   #7
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Comic book store downtown... do you mean Silver Snail on Queen West?? I go in there every once in a while, I'll see if they have any cool posters next time I'm down. :]
Yeah, I think it was Silver Snail... the name sounds familiar anyways. But yeah, my family friend used to have a poster business... He still has a bunch of posters even though he doesn't sell them anymore... maybe I can ask to buy some off him. He has REALLY nice posters ^-^
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:22 PM   #8
moops
Elite Member

Liked: 40 Times

Quote:

DIY sounds amazing really, because it's ... well like you said, it represents you. I have this idea of getting like, pieces of wood or cardboard, and wrapping it over in a nice piece of patterned fabric or design and putting it up. The black & white colour scheme sounds great, unfortunately my boyfriend is into like... zombie and horror films, so a lot of his posters are a little on the dark side which isn't really my taste haha.
I've done the fabric thing too! They way I found it to work best is if you glue some foam onto the wood back first then pull the fabric tightly over top and use a staple gun to staple the backs in. Kinda like reupholstering chairs (theres tonnes of youtube videos on it). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIcq_qq3m7c except you would use a much denser foam or even cardboard.

feonateresa says thanks to moops for this post.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:25 PM   #9
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times

I cant wait to put up posters in my room. I'm also into the whole super hero theme. Please tell me if you see a Deadpool poster in Silver Snail! That'd make my dorm!
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:32 PM   #10
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black.Mamba View Post
I cant wait to put up posters in my room. I'm also into the whole super hero theme. Please tell me if you see a Deadpool poster in Silver Snail! That'd make my dorm!
Oh man, I want a really cool Snake Eyes poster ^-^
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:35 PM   #11
Black.Mamba

Liked: 13 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhan523 View Post
Oh man, I want a really cool Snake Eyes poster ^-^
Nice!! I wouldn't mind a Spawn one either.. I definitely should go check out this place again soon and see what I can find.
Old 08-20-2009 at 11:36 PM   #12
sinthusized
Elite Member

Liked: 98 Times

I get my posters from ebay. I also like to put up art (original ones from people I know and also copies that are poster form ... I usually find those in gift stores in museums.) Oh Value village is a good place to hunt for frames and random decorations as well.
Old 08-21-2009 at 12:17 AM   #13
Maegs
Elite Member

Liked: 26 Times

The room I'm in used to be a dining room, I suspect (very similar house layout to my grandparents' house in Hamilton), but has been converted to a bedroom. It still has the original picture rails though, so I can put pictures along those without worrying about putting holes in the walls
Old 08-21-2009 at 09:54 AM   #14
daisy

Liked: 51 Times

Don't shoot me: IKEA

There are some wonderful blogs with ideas for making inexpensive wall art. Try googling "crafting or decorating blogs" or something like that.

You can buy frames from the dollar store and stick craft paper/wrapping paper/fabric etc in them and group them together in a large group and they look great (only in a group, generally). You can even use the same large sheet in all of the frames in the group, and that looks good. Make sure your frames are all the same for this idea. Or use an old window or frame.

Scan a bunch of your favourite photos and print them out in B&W or sepia and put them in cheapie frames and group together -- make sure the frames have something similar about them if they're not all the same, ie, colour, shape.

Go to an art store and buy a canvas stretcher for fabric, or even the dollar store has cheapo canvases.
Old 08-21-2009 at 09:56 AM   #15
michelle

Liked: 61 Times

There are a couple stores downtown on King Street if you're looking for music-related stuff. One is Rock Museum, and I can't remember what the other one is, but I know it has a yellow sign above the door.