Printing...tons? britb Computers & Tech 6 02-06-2010 05:52 PM
Printing on campus? EngLufLuf General Discussion 5 09-29-2009 10:11 PM
Write out notes or type out notes? Chad Academics 50 08-21-2008 02:54 PM

Printing notes at Mac?!

Old 07-16-2010 at 11:50 AM   #1
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

Printing notes at Mac?!
Hey guys. I had a quick question. Printing notes is a big thing at a university. I was planning to bring my own printer from home, but Im not sure if its a good idea. Is there places at Mac where you can print ur notes and stuff? And how much does it cost? Would it just be a better idea to bring my own printer?

Thanks guys!
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:39 PM   #2
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times

You can, but it might be hard to keep up with all the ink (though it will be cheaper). I used by printer at home last year and my dad was always pissed at me.

I'm thinking of printing at least the bigger things at school now, just to be totally kill it. They're getting rid of copy cards, which is better.
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:42 PM   #3
MacPack
Offical Deal Blogger
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 160 Times

how much did it cost before?
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:48 PM   #4
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 421 Times

Use the underground! Its the MSU printing service on campus, and its got the best prices you'll find on campus (last year I think it was 8 cents per sheet). And they actually take cash, another nice thing. And since its right in the student center, you're never that far away from it.

I'm really bad at taking notes, so last year I ended up not printing most of the notes, but photocopying a friend's notes that they had made notes on already- that ended up working quite well.

If you were to get a good printer, that would most likely be more economically friendly over the four year period though.

EDIT: Printing used to be 10 cents a page at the library, but you had to buy a $2.50 -$3 card to use it. Different libraries had different prices.
Old 07-16-2010 at 03:51 PM   #5
blackdragon
Elite Member

Liked: 339 Times

Your better off buying your own printer and using island inkjet to refill ink once done
Old 07-16-2010 at 04:07 PM   #6
dsahota

Liked: 83 Times

It can also be a lot cheaper to buy a laser printer rather than an inkjet. Laser printers are generally faster in actual PPM output, have crisper text and will survive if you spill some water on the printed paper.

A cheap laser printer can be had for $70-80 during back to school sales and will likely have toner to last you a whole year (if not two). If you really want color, you can get color lasers for as cheap as $110 (Samsung CLP-310). I purchased one of these to print my thesis and the starter B&W cartridge lasted about 1500 pages of text and the color cartridges are still going strong.

Watch Staples.ca, Futureshop and Canada Computers for deals on the printers, I got my CLP-310 for $110 @ Canada Computers (its $129 currently).
Old 07-16-2010 at 06:05 PM   #7
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

Ive never understood the need to print lecture outlines, it seems like an utter waste of paper. I am a big fan of the old fashioned notebook and a pen, it works wonders for me. The new Hilroy notebooks that I've been using are part of the governments sustainable forestry iniative, and some are even made of recycled fibres. Just a though, notebooks are great for in class note taking, its helped me over my first 2 years at mac. Just another viewpoint on the whole "printing lecture notes " idea. This is just my opinon , nothing else .
Old 07-16-2010 at 09:39 PM   #8
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Find an awesome roommate, then use the hell of their printer.

Old 07-16-2010 at 10:03 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Get a printer. Be prepared to go through basically one set of ink cartridge/semester.
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences
Old 07-17-2010 at 12:15 PM   #10
amitoj

Liked: 15 Times

one set of ink cartridge per semester doesnt sounds that bad.
Old 07-17-2010 at 09:13 PM   #11
qwerty91
Elite Member

Liked: 173 Times

one ink cartridge a semester? I know ppl who used 1-2 ink cartridges just for the 2-3 weeks of exams and another at least for midterms. Id recommend buying a laser printer. I have a cannon laser with scanner, ADF, copier. Its amazingly quick, cheap (0.5 of toner in the year) and much more reliable than most cheap inkjets. I see it all the time on sale at bestbuy/futureshop for $99. Having a laser for yourself is far more convenient than going to the library for every print.

dsahota likes this.