Old 08-04-2007 at 04:36 PM   #1
Chad
MacInsiders Founder/Admin
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 1,730 Times

Write out notes or type out notes?
While on Facebook a nice girl named Cynthia messaged me with this question:

Quote:
I went to one of the Summer Orientation days earlier this year (and it was excellent, I learned a LOT), and during the academic skills presentation, one of the people presenting suggested that it is useful to take notes for ALL of your subjects in a single notebook...except I can't remember why that is. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it if you could get back to me either way!
Now keep in mind that everyone has their preference and there is no perfect way to do everything, but here is my answer to share with you all. Hopefully if anyone has a similar question this answer will help them. Remember, no question is dumb or silly, they are all valid questions!

Quote:
I think they recommended having one notebook to take notes, and then later copying your notes (re-writing them) into separate notebooks to refresh your memory about the content.

In my own opinion, thats not practical. You will never have enough time to read over your own notes, nevermind copying them out and re-writing everything. Also, if its all in one notebook you'd get confused with organizing it... since your class notes would be all mixed up. Instead, I'd recommend having a separate notebook for each class to keep things separated, organized, and easier to find.

I would also highly recommend getting a laptop, since you have the advantage of typing the notes out and re-organizing them later or going back and adding notes (eg: the professor sometimes goes back to previous things they've talked about and continues talking... if you're writing the note then there is no room to go back, but if you're typing you can easily insert things into previous spots you've written). Also, on a laptop it is great to study off of. If you're doing a review for a test or exam and the professor gives you a list of terms to study, you can use the CTRL+F (find) feature in Word to easily look up stuff. Can't do that with pen and paper.

The choice is yours, about 30% of the class will be using a laptop, the rest of the people write out notes. Both ways work, just be sure to keep your notes simple and concise... don't write down everything the prof says... you don't have very long to review before tests and the last thing you want is to read over 1000 pages of scribbly notes!

Isabel, Kayli, luna, twitterbird all say thanks to Chad for this post.

twitterbird likes this.
Old 08-04-2007 at 04:46 PM   #2
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 506 Times

I personally don't have a laptop, so I'm stuck writing my notes.

But I don't really agree with having everything all in one notebook either, as it would be waaay too confusing. However, I have found re-writing my notes has been helpful to remember them, but I save that for midterms and exams...so it makes for good study notes as well.

Also, if you are a notetaker with CSD you get a $50 honorarium if your notes are written, but $75 if they are typed.
Old 08-04-2007 at 06:37 PM   #3
nogood205
McMaster Marching Band President

Liked: 4 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
In my own opinion, thats not practical. You will never have enough time to read over your own notes, nevermind copying them out and re-writing everything. Also, if its all in one notebook you'd get confused with organizing it... since your class notes would be all mixed up. Instead, I'd recommend having a separate notebook for each class to keep things separated, organized, and easier to find.
Even better, do both - keep separate binders for each class at home/rez, and carry a small binder (sectioned off for eac class) around with you and take notes in that. When you return, or after a section/unit, "file" them away.

Old 08-06-2007 at 10:05 PM   #4
AfroMaestro

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorend View Post
I personally don't have a laptop, so I'm stuck writing my notes.

But I don't really agree with having everything all in one notebook either, as it would be waaay too confusing. However, I have found re-writing my notes has been helpful to remember them, but I save that for midterms and exams...so it makes for good study notes as well.

Also, if you are a notetaker with CSD you get a $50 honorarium if your notes are written, but $75 if they are typed.
how do yu become a notetaker for the centre for student development? and does it entail much more than typing/writing down quality notes for them?
Old 08-07-2007 at 06:41 AM   #5
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

If a notetaker is needed in your class(es) an overhead will go up during the first few weeks of school. From there, you follow the protocol on the overhead to see if you are selected.

As for other duties, AfroMaestro, you are only responsible for taking notes, and uploading them.

There is more information about CSD in this article: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthread.php?t=1719 2. You can get more information on the notetaking program at CSD from their website, here: http://maclife.mcmaster.ca/csd/clock...9480#Notetaker
Old 08-07-2007 at 08:36 AM   #6
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

I was a notetaker in first year and it worked out nice. Got a gift certificate for Titles to buy my textbooks for the next semester.

It's great if you type your notes since you just e-mail your notes to them each week, takes only a few seconds.

If they need people for your course, they'll post it on their website. You can also go to their office in the basement of the student centre and pick up an application form to fill out
Old 08-07-2007 at 08:44 AM   #7
haleighfox
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 0 Times

i think it would make most sense to type out notes, that is if your a fast typer.
Old 08-07-2007 at 09:03 AM   #8
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

And if you have a laptop.
Old 08-07-2007 at 10:27 AM   #9
livy_04

that's so cool! Money for doing something you already do? sweet! How many 'note takers' do they usually need? Like, if i signed up now would i get to do it for most of my classes?
Old 08-07-2007 at 10:36 AM   #10
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

It's typically one per class -- but that is if someone is in that class that needs the notes. If no one needs them, there isn't an opportunity to be one.

If you want to sign up now...go ahead!
Old 08-07-2007 at 12:58 PM   #11
lucc

I just bought a bunch of notebooks with tear-out pages, and took notes in that, no matter the class. Then when I got back to my room I'd tear the notes out and put them into their respective categories in a larger binder that I had. Either that or I typed my notes (in classes where the prof talked extremely fast) and saved them in class-specific folders.
Old 08-07-2007 at 01:28 PM   #12
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

Having 1 notebook to write notes, and then when you get to your room.. taking out the pages and organizing them straight away into binders or folders... one for each class. That makes sense.

I did that in first semester of my first year, before I started typing out on a laptop
Old 08-07-2007 at 10:49 PM   #13
Fozefy

Hey, just wondering what types of courses/faculty you guys are in, because as someone going into engineering, I don't see a laptop being very usefull at all. I can understand how they would be usefull in social sciences, english, or other similar courses, but I don't see the use in maths and pure sciences.

If I'm wrong about this, please let me know, because I was considering getting a laptop, but decided against it.

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2007 at 11:58 PM   #14
lorend
MacInsiders VP
MacInsiders Staff

I'm in Humanities/Soc Sci.

I have friends in Science who take their laptops to lecture; although I'm not really sure what all happens. And not all Eng classes are math based. Like ethics.

I suppose it all depends on how the person takes notes, as well? I don't use a laptop, personally...
Old 08-08-2007 at 08:43 AM   #15
Chad
MacInsiders Staff

You're right Fozefy. The classes that are more math-based probably would find it harder to take notes with a laptop since you have to write out formulas... and it is much easier doing that with pen and paper.

I am in humanities, and I find it great for lectures having a laptop simply because the professors are mainly speaking on the points that they have on their powerpoint... so I'm typing out a lot. But in an engineering math class, the prof is writing on the chalkboard a load of equations which is a completely different environment.