MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
University med rad program vs college tech program lorelle First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 09-07-2014 11:12 PM
Questions regarding med school:gpa, english, physics, americal med schools, etc Need2knowme Academics 7 06-11-2012 10:30 AM
Med Rad to Med School kanvi_v30 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 1 08-07-2011 05:02 PM
Med Rad Sci and Med School? Sully First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 4 06-30-2011 07:04 PM
Summer courses at another university and med school. dumbconsumer Academics 5 02-06-2011 10:41 AM

what program is best in University to go to med school and become a surgeon

Old 12-09-2016 at 01:25 PM   #1
Jay01

Liked: 0 Times

what program is best in University to go to med school and become a surgeon
what programs are good to take in University to go to med school

Last edited by Jay01 : 12-09-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2016 at 04:00 PM   #2
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

First of all holy fucking cringe. This post is so cringy my jaw almost froze. Please don't ever tell people you're going to be a general surgeon. You're not even done high school yet. You've got a loooooooooooooooong way to go (like 10+ years). You need to chill, fam. What you do in high school and in undergrad has no impact on whether or not you can be a surgeon so I'd start with saying you need to research how the path to medicine actually works.

You can get into medicine from any undergrad program. In Canada, there are very few course requirements. In the US there are more course requirements but your admission is based on whether you finished those required courses, not what your degree is in. So if you think you're limited to Life Science or Health Science, you're not. Pursuing a life science or health science degree does not automatically make you a better candidate so keep that in mind. In general, Life Science looks at all forms of biology from the small to the big, and can be applied to anything from bacteria to animals to whole ecosystems. Health Science looks at biology with applications to human systems and health care.

The recommended high school courses would include all the sciences (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math). SHSM is as useless as telling people you have a high school diploma - it means nothing. Having it can't hurt but it has nothing to do your university application. And while I'm at it, before researching the path to medicine you should probably research how applying to university works. Most undergrad programs look solely at your grades. If you have questions about applying to undergrad, ask your guidance counsellors. That's what they're getting paid to do.

Jay01 says thanks to Imperious for this post.
Old 12-09-2016 at 08:12 PM   #3
Jay01

Liked: 0 Times

Well thanks for the advice... but if i have a dream of becoming something from a young age u shouldn't have a problem with that. If i want to plan my life from a young age its my choice not yours to react or cringe to.
Old 12-10-2016 at 07:00 PM   #4
Imperious

Liked: 27 Times

It's fine to plan out your life at a young age. But it really is better to tell people you're interested in pursuing medicine than to say you want to be a general surgeon. General Surgery is just so specific and comes off as pretentious. I really hope you don't go around telling people you want to be a general surgeon. It's almost as cringy as people in first year uni who say that they're studying Pre-Pediatric Cardiothoracic Oncology when theyre in general Life Science.