MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Switching into Honours from my program AcaciaS2 Academics 3 09-15-2012 10:25 PM
switching into a new program in upper years MaisliR Academics 2 05-01-2012 11:42 AM
Switching out of a 2nd year program stja1 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 2 04-07-2012 11:24 AM
Switching to nursing program sanahsameen Academics 1 01-28-2009 02:10 PM
Switching Level I Program jag6232 First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 12 06-24-2008 10:33 PM

Program Switching Question

Old 08-15-2013 at 07:57 AM   #1
sadaf.agha

Liked: 0 Times

Program Switching Question
Hi everyone,

I'm in third year Honours Biology (Origins Research Specialization) and let's say I want to switch to Honours Biology and Mathematics. Would I be put into second year of that program since I'd technically just be entering it? If not, then by switching and having to take a whole bunch of second year math courses in my third year to make up for the slack for the Math portion of my degree, would I be jeopardizing my chances at getting into grad school (planning on doing a Master's in math) since they put emphasis on your third and fourth year and see that it's filled with second and third year courses?

I'm not in Hamilton at the moment so I can't drop in for an academic advising session, but I wrote to an academic advisor and haven't gotten a response yet so I'm tossing the question here in case anyone has any insight they could share.

Thanks for reading~
Old 08-15-2013 at 08:11 AM   #2
sarahsullz
Sock Scientist
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 105 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadaf.agha View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm in third year Honours Biology (Origins Research Specialization) and let's say I want to switch to Honours Biology and Mathematics. Would I be put into second year of that program since I'd technically just be entering it? If not, then by switching and having to take a whole bunch of second year math courses in my third year to make up for the slack for the Math portion of my degree, would I be jeopardizing my chances at getting into grad school (planning on doing a Master's in math) since they put emphasis on your third and fourth year and see that it's filled with second and third year courses?

I'm not in Hamilton at the moment so I can't drop in for an academic advising session, but I wrote to an academic advisor and haven't gotten a response yet so I'm tossing the question here in case anyone has any insight they could share.

Thanks for reading~
Hey! You can definitely switch if you meet all of the pre-reqs. What would happen is they would look at the classes you've already taken and determine which 'year' you would be in. If you're only missing math credits then it's possible they'd put you into the third year level. Your best bet is definitely to make some time to go for advising and they will let you know the level you'd be at.
(22:09:17) Entropy: k now I need someone else to fill in the void
(22:10:14) ChatBot: Desda logs into the Chat.

sadaf.agha says thanks to sarahsullz for this post.
Old 08-15-2013 at 09:55 AM   #3
goodnews.inc
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 633 Times

You would, provided you have completed 60 courses, be enrolled in Level III. For the Science faculty, the last time I checked, the year you are in is determined by the number of credit hours you have to date, even if you may be missing a significant number of lower level courses. This stops at Level IV though. If you had 125 credits (so you are "past" Level IV) but you are in a program that does not officially recognize a Level V, you will be at Level IV until you graduate.

Emma Ali
Honours Life Sciences

sadaf.agha says thanks to goodnews.inc for this post.
Old 08-15-2013 at 10:13 AM   #4
sadaf.agha

Liked: 0 Times

Thanks for the insight guys, very much appreciated!