MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Dr. Mary E. Keyes Leadership Programme ferreinm Clubs 4 07-05-2009 04:47 PM
Getting into level 2 engineering Programme anthonyvella First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 29 03-12-2009 08:42 PM
Course Change shapkin123 Academics 3 09-08-2008 04:34 PM
Course Change? Ruggedman Academics 11 09-04-2008 08:54 AM

Programme Change

Old 06-27-2009 at 06:58 PM   #1
Ruggedman

Liked: 0 Times

Programme Change
Hi guys, about 4-5 days ago when we were able to pick our programme and courses i selected political science to be my main programme.

However after a few days to go over the decision i am really contemplating switching to political science and sociology.

If i want to do this, where and how would i go about this? Also, if i were to switch, will i have to change all of the courses i have selected? I hardly got any of the courses i want and i have a feeling if i drop out of the current courses other people will jump on them and the will be full, and i wont be able to get back into the current courses i have already selected.

Any help guys?
Old 06-27-2009 at 07:40 PM   #2
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

Well, the first thing to do would be to contact the Registrar probably. I think they are the only ones who can change it. As for losing courses, this might be a possibility - however, if the courses are required for you, you can fight for your seat by asking an academic advisor and they will open it for you.

I've never met anyone who changed their program after selecting it, so I'm not sure if it can be done. Though, I'm sure if you contact the Registrar and explain your situation, it should be okay. :]
Old 06-27-2009 at 07:53 PM   #3
Goce
Elite Member

Liked: 36 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruggedman View Post
Hi guys, about 4-5 days ago when we were able to pick our programme and courses i selected political science to be my main programme.

However after a few days to go over the decision i am really contemplating switching to political science and sociology.

If i want to do this, where and how would i go about this? Also, if i were to switch, will i have to change all of the courses i have selected? I hardly got any of the courses i want and i have a feeling if i drop out of the current courses other people will jump on them and the will be full, and i wont be able to get back into the current courses i have already selected.

Any help guys?
You would contact your faculty administration rather than the registrar. The Social Science office is where you should contact.
Old 06-27-2009 at 08:46 PM   #4
Mowicz
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

I'd just like to add:

Make sure you think long and hard about which one you would actually like. Judging from your quick change of mind, it means one of two things:

1) You don't feel that strongly about either program
2) You feel very strongly about both.

Just make sure you give it some thought...and make sure you choose the right one. You don't have to change programs right now, and can even do so in a year's time (so long as you take the required courses for the desired program). It's more of a pain to change programs and then change back, than it is to just wait a little while and change once (if necessary).
Old 06-27-2009 at 09:09 PM   #5
.:callen:.
Student Senator '08-'10

Liked: 24 Times

Personally, I think the smartest way to pick your program is to look at the course offerings and make a decision based on what you'd be most interested in taking in your upper years.

If you're more interested in one programs' courses, maybe you should do a single honours in that program. If you're kinda half and half, do the combined.

Consider doing a minor in one subject if you're not interested in the requireds for an honours or combined honours program. I know poli sci has some requireds that are kind of a drag if you're not interested in that field of poli sci (ex: political theory, canadian politics)

All things to consider

Here are the course offerings:

Sociology http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1845.html
Political Science http://registrar.mcmaster.ca /CALEN...nt/pg1835.html