MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engineering Level II Question VastHorizon Academics 2 04-29-2010 10:10 AM
Anyone going to Engineering Level 2 ????? endearing66 Academics 15 07-06-2009 05:59 AM
SOLAR Level 1 Engineering tungo89 Academics 8 07-02-2008 09:52 PM

Getting into level 2 engineering Programme

Old 02-11-2009 at 10:56 AM   #1
anthonyvella

Liked: 0 Times

Getting into level 2 engineering Programme
I was just thinking. what if we don't get the choices that we want. Let's say I don't get into my first choice but it is what I really really want.

what are the options
Old 02-11-2009 at 11:12 AM   #2
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times

that happened to me. I was sure I wanted civil mgmt. Now I'm in materials scty. I would reccomend you go into what you get, even if it's not your first choice - you may like it! You can look into switching after that year too. A lot of programs have the same math and some other courses overlap, too.
Old 02-11-2009 at 11:17 AM   #3
anthonyvella

k well i'm shooting for a six i'm almost there. i'm at like a 5.7 right now from first term and math isn't that bad for me. So what do you think my chances of getting into civil might be bk everyone i've talked to wants in which is kinda a bummer
Old 02-11-2009 at 01:12 PM   #4
micadjems
Awesome Member

I had like a 5 I think. In my year there was high civil demand so you needed like an 8 I think. Mech too.

Don't be discouraged just do your best with what life throws at you!

lorend says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:15 PM   #5
anmali

i think its hard to get into civil or mechanical because for civil - i would say its easier than other fields of engineering based on the course content etc or the level of hardness depends whichever way you wanna look at it. which is why the entrance CA goes up to 11 or 12 in some exceptional cases. On the other hand mechanical seems to be the popular choice for people trying to get away from all that programming stuff and be more interested in kinematics part of physics and not the circuit stuff....if your CA happen to stay around 4 .. Chances are you will get electrical,computer,m aterials or chemical as your options but no mechanical or civil .. Then again getting what you want could depend on other factors as well like how many people applied for a particular field , how was their CA like when they applied etc. etc.

My suggestion just pay attention to what you doing right now cauz like the person said above you can always switch fields later on. Of course your CA would still be considered as a factor while switching...

Good Luck

AnguishedEnd says thanks to anmali for this post.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:16 PM   #6
micadjems
Awesome Member

That's not why the CA goes up - its due to demand.
Old 02-11-2009 at 06:46 PM   #7
anmali

lol true i should have put some brackets in there ..
Old 02-13-2009 at 10:03 AM   #8
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

How about Mechatronics? I hear quite a few people want to go into this stream next year so I'm guessing the CA will go up. How was the demand in previous years?
Old 02-13-2009 at 10:41 AM   #9
micadjems
Awesome Member

Well its a fairly new program. All my friends in first year, that im aware of, got into it when they wanted it. I imagine it might be a small program..... *shrug*

just keep your marks and hopes up - and keep yourself open to other possibilities too
Old 02-13-2009 at 10:55 AM   #10
anmali

I still believe that mechatronics is a new field IN Mcmaster University. One of my seniors told me how they were begging people to come to this field because its relatively new and nobody would go there cauz not many people knew about the existence of this field at Mac. But that was like 2 yrs. ago and I think you should aim for a higher CA at around 6 or 7ish. One of my friends last year had a CA of 4.0 and the only options he was given were Computer Engineering, Materials, Chemical, Engineering Physics and Software engineering. I think, may be, you can get a general idea from this example but then again one can`t really say for sure as to how things will play out this year. Like Always I would say focus on what you are doing now cauz the future depends on what you do in present (does that even make sense lol I am too drunk for this ) Hope this helps.

Good Luck
Old 02-22-2009 at 11:44 AM   #11
nila*

Liked: 52 Times

What about the biomed and electrical program? Everyone says that you need a "really high" CA but nobody gives a number. I'm wondering how competitive it is and how many people get in.

Thanks
Old 02-22-2009 at 12:52 PM   #12
micadjems
Awesome Member

I think something around 8-10.
(really high in comparison!)

It also depends on demand, but because it's so small, it goes higher faster

nila* says thanks to micadjems for this post.
Old 02-22-2009 at 06:56 PM   #13
anmali

2 years back when I completed my first level of engineering Electrical , computer , engineering physics,materials and chemical were the only fields given to me as options cauz rest of the fields were completely full. I had a 4 and I got computer only cauz I was late to reply when they asked me of my choice among these fields..hope this helps
Old 02-23-2009 at 10:56 AM   #14
Bobby66
was offline, but

Liked: 84 Times

Did someone just say you can get into computer and electrical with a 4.0???? wow I don't know why but I breezed through first term with my eyes closed averaging 8.2. I remember waking up at 8:30am and sleep during tutorials . . . good nap.

Old 02-23-2009 at 11:03 AM   #15
micadjems
Awesome Member

Well good for you, but not everyone achieves such high grades with their eyes closed.

Again, the averages are based on demand.