MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Article Article Starter Category Comments Last Post
Hamilton city transit?? daliwangsun Automotive & Transportation 6 09-03-2010 04:18 PM
Background Performers Needed for Feature film Documentary filming in Hamilton newchapter General Discussion 3 11-22-2009 02:40 PM
Hamilton: More than the Steel City summer Local Hotspots & Travel 1 07-07-2009 03:07 PM
HSR Union comes to agreement with City of Hamilton Chad ARCHIVES 1 11-17-2007 09:25 AM

Promotional film for the City of Hamilton from the 1940's

An incredible video that was posted by Brian Potstra. He explains a friend of a friend working at City Hall saw this being thrown out and rescued it. What a treasure! Watch and see buildings you might recognize, and listen to all the potential Hamilton is described to have back in the 40's.

15 minutes into the video you can see some clips of McMaster University back then. Also they mention "total absence of slums". Boy has Hamilton changed.

What has happened to the great vision for our city? Reply with your thoughts when you watch the video.

Geek, micadjems all say thanks to Chad for this post.

Published by
MacInsiders Founder/Admin

Article Tools

Deleted Post
Old 04-12-2011 at 10:49 AM   #2
thedog123123
Crazy Physicist

Liked: 313 Times
what an awesome find.

On a side note when the guy says port Huron a couple minutes in the way he pronounced Huron made me think of family guy and the pronunciation of "cool whip"

Old 04-12-2011 at 11:23 AM   #3
Eternal Fire
Elite Member

Liked: 227 Times
Pretty cool video. I find it interesting that during the map part they didn't show Toronto.

Old 04-12-2011 at 11:31 AM   #4
Geek
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 98 Times
This is so great and so cheesy!

micadjems likes this.

Old 04-12-2011 at 12:05 PM   #5
micadjems
Awesome Member

Liked: 382 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
This is so great and so cheesy!
I sent it to Cam, hoping he can show it to some later society classes

Geek likes this.

Old 04-12-2011 at 05:55 PM   #6
_Luu_
Elite Member

Liked: 184 Times
"...Also they mention 'total absence of slums'. Boy has Hamilton changed."

Well, back then they thought the steel mills would last forever...

Last edited by _Luu_ : 04-12-2011 at 05:58 PM.

xxsumz says thanks to _Luu_ for this post.

Old 04-12-2011 at 06:00 PM   #7
GCSM
Half Life 3 Confirmed

Liked: 95 Times
around 9:30 you can see the "sunken gardens" where the hospital is now. I remember people talking about it here: http://www.macinsiders.com/showthrea...9.html?t=27079

Old 04-12-2011 at 08:02 PM   #8
sjager

Liked: 59 Times
I want to see something amazing done with the Royal Connaught Hotel. Stinson's idea was great but apparently no one wants to lose money to restore this building...understand able but there has to be some enthusiast out there who wants to keep the Hamilton history alive?

Old 04-12-2011 at 08:47 PM   #9
jo87
Elite Member

Liked: 152 Times
So much hope....turned into a dump:( We need jobs in this city so bad, it would really liven the city. They city needs to give people a reason to come to Hamilton. Walking downtown is not fun when all you see is homeless people and drug addicts:(

Old 04-12-2011 at 09:32 PM   #10
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times
thats awesome!

to bad hamilton is a complete [email protected]#t hole now.

Old 04-12-2011 at 11:20 PM   #11
_Luu_
Elite Member

Well, comparing the Hamilton of then and the Hamilton of now, it's clear what happens if the economy isn't diversified. Look at Detroit (although other major circumstances did lead to their downfall).

Old 04-13-2011 at 12:04 AM   #12
Scuderia
RocketSaurus

Liked: 110 Times
and who was the idiot that decided to place a fugly hospital where that sunken gardens was?

EPIC FAIL

Old 04-13-2011 at 05:11 PM   #13
_Luu_
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuderia View Post
and who was the idiot that decided to place a fugly hospital where that sunken gardens was?

EPIC FAIL
Seriously?

Wow, that was stupid. If they kept it, it would've been nice for all the houses nearby and the big spike in property value...

Old 04-13-2011 at 10:38 PM   #14
soltintal

Liked: 38 Times
having grown up in the city, i can tell you that part of what killed the downtown was the mountain and in particular, limeridge mall.

downtown used to be "the place to be" with all sorts of department stores (some are shown in the video). then they made jackson square which was the first mistake. then came limeridge mall... and gigantic free parking lots. i also understand that the taxes in the downtown are high.

as far as industry, hamilton was not "just" about steel, although it was probably the most prominent... hamilton also had international harvester (in video), studebaker, mustard, westinghouse (in video), ceramics (and i don't mean like pottery), etc. but from what i understand from my mom who also grew up in hamilton, the jobs went where there was cheap labour.

the park areas have also become sad. in the name of progress, the gore park fountain was torn out (it has since been replaced). the fountain at gage park where you see the children splashing in the long runoff pool is often empty and even when it is running, you'd likely slice your feet on broken glass or something if you went in.

IMO, when the money and jobs went, for both white and blue collar, the pride went. as people moved out to suburbs or left to find jobs, the area went into further decline.

Old 04-25-2011 at 09:23 PM   #15
britb
Mr.Spock is not dazzled.

Liked: 611 Times
Dear Hamilton,
You totally dropped the ball.

I think this video's been recoloured, it looks like a lot of WWII recolours with that ridiculous sky. Guess they wanted to make Hamilton seem bright.

Article Tools Search this Article
Search this Article:

Advanced Search