MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros and Cons of Each Residence kokosas Residence & Off-Campus Living 108 06-25-2013 01:19 PM
Common Room Kitchens anavc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-12-2010 08:53 AM
Leaving Utensils in the Common Room goodnews.inc Residence & Housing 12 08-14-2010 11:08 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
Off Campus Series Two Part Five: The Common Room lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 2 03-23-2009 07:02 AM

Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room

Old 03-02-2010 at 03:18 PM   #1
Mic Mac

Liked: 1 Time

Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room
Hi. I'm hoping to create an honest, informative and fun appraisal of each Residence's Common Room. There are the tangibles like size, layout and amenities and of course the intangibles like "the feel" of the place. Thanks in advance for your input and insights.

Old 03-02-2010 at 03:27 PM   #2
andrew22
Account Locked

Liked: 238 Times

con. they will all have mac students in them. cchya

Deegs14 likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 03:28 PM   #3
JEFF_CHAN
Forum Creeper

Liked: 454 Times

Bates:

Cons: They're all in the basement and you're really better off just staying in your own living room.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 04:36 PM   #4
marieeeeeee

Liked: 26 Times

Hedden - one for each "wing" sometimes it is a good thing on nights when there are shows people want to watch, kinda sucks sometimes cos you don't get to interact with everyone on your floor

Brandon - the common room stinks (sometimes) when the recycling bins are full

Whidden - kitchen's separate from the common room...but the fridge is in the common room o_O best to have your own mini fridge

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 04:48 PM   #5
Kathy2
Elite Member

Liked: 529 Times

CON

Woodstock - Each floor has its own common room. The couch, TV, fridge and stove are all in the same room. It is very smelly and the recycling bins are always full, so there is lots of garbage on the floor.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 05:06 PM   #6
x_hikari

Liked: 14 Times

Moulton

PRO
there's a common room on every floor and a piano on every floor
I guess it's debatable if that's a pro or con, I live on an all girls floor so we're relatively clean as opposed to other common rooms (from what I hear)
There's a separate garbage room so we usually don't have the problem with smelly common room
the common room is quite large as well

CON
while the piano is nice, it can be quite irritating when some people play after quiet hours (and some quite poorly I might add)
especially when you live near the common room
There really isn't a ventilation system so when someone cooks the entire floor smells like whatever food for a while (but i guess that goes for every common room)

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 05:28 PM   #7
JeffB

Liked: 26 Times

Whidden
The best part of Whidden's common rooms are they are part of the building, all of the hallways lead to it, instead of being an isolated room. This encourages people to use the room much more. The common room is also larger then some others that I have seen.
There is also the cave in the basement, it is a large room and not very busy (in my year) so you can group study in it at times. It is also used for building programming.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 05:42 PM   #8
j.luong

Liked: 2 Times

Whidden

Pros:
- Whidden is shaped like the letter Y. All three wings lead to a central common room on each floor.
- Decent size with a Tv and windows that face McKay.
- Nice arrangement of couches and tables/chairs.
- There is a common fridge, although hardly anyone uses it.
- Its almost impossible not to pass through it, so you get to meet a lot of people.

Cons:
- Fridge smells horrible most of the time.
- Garbage cans are located in the common room, and depending on whats in it, it may affect the air quality in the room.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 06:27 PM   #9
Rayine
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

Bates

Con

its in the basement
the pool table is always broken
President, McMaster Undergraduate Society for the Chemical Sciences

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-02-2010 at 08:24 PM   #10
camais

Liked: 30 Times

moulton
pro:
friendly, awesome guy always around the common room when you need him
large common rooms on each floor with pianos (some very good players this year too)
kitchen with a lot of counter space if u want to cook
EMR (basement common room) is HUGE with big tv and wipeboards for studying

cons:
ping pong table broken and basement kitchen is nasty
people frequently forget to wash their dishes

eycc11, Mic Mac like this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 01:32 PM   #11
giftedchick
Elite Member

Liked: 300 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy2 View Post
CON

Woodstock - Each floor has its own common room. The couch, TV, fridge and stove are all in the same room. It is very smelly and the recycling bins are always full, so there is lots of garbage on the floor.
agreed... the smell.. :(
Old 03-04-2010 at 01:43 PM   #12
mse369

Liked: 9 Times

Whidden Common Room:

PRO:
In the middle of all 3 wings so really friendly especially since everyone in triples doesn't choose to stay in their rooms.
Big sized with a lot of empty space and a lot of couches and chairs + awesome larger table with chairs which we normally use as a study area or for playing cards and board games.
Has a fridge although isn't really used.

CON:
Only con is that the recycling room is located in the common room so sometimes (especially on sundays after everyone puts their empty beer cans in there) it can smell bad.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-04-2010 at 02:00 PM   #13
Deegs14
Cogito, ergo sum

Liked: 156 Times

Hedden
Two/floor. If someone is watching T.V in one common room, you can always go to the other.
Couches are kinda lame....
Remote controls always go missing, its pretty much one/floor.
You can't really change the channels on the T.V manually, all the buttons have been ripped out. Its pretty much been like that in every common room I've been in though.
Its also usually empty whenever I go into the common room, nobody is ever in there :/

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 11:54 AM   #14
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Wallingford:

CON:
We only have 2 common rooms with TVs in the basement. Which honestly, isn't the best.

I can name two occasions during my time so far in Wally where one TV has been broken and someone was either studying in the other common room or watching something I didn't want to. Which definitely upset me.

I wish there was some way we could get another TV for the tea room - but a lot of people like the idea of the tea room staying a quiet place.

PRO:
The tea room is cute and pretty. And there's a piano!

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 02:02 PM   #15
Flag

Liked: 35 Times

Wally:
CON:
The common rooms with the TV's are in the basement which feels like a freakin' bomb shelter. It's WAY out of the way, a section of the basement smells like death, the one common room is tiny and the other is lined with mirrors which is freaking CREEPY.

Mic Mac likes this.