MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pros and Cons of Each Residence kokosas Residence & Off-Campus Living 108 06-25-2013 01:19 PM
Common Room Kitchens anavc First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 11 09-12-2010 08:53 AM
Leaving Utensils in the Common Room goodnews.inc Residence & Housing 12 08-14-2010 11:08 PM
Relationships: Pro/Cons tungo89 Dating & Relationships 13 10-16-2009 11:01 PM
Off Campus Series Two Part Five: The Common Room lorend Residence & Off-Campus Living 2 03-23-2009 07:02 AM

Pros and Cons of Each Residence's Common Room

Old 03-07-2010 at 02:12 PM   #16
mac-gal

Liked: 6 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flag View Post
Wally:
CON:
The common rooms with the TV's are in the basement which feels like a freakin' bomb shelter. It's WAY out of the way, a section of the basement smells like death, the one common room is tiny and the other is lined with mirrors which is freaking CREEPY.

Yeah... the mirrors are ghetto. I'm not going to lie.

BUT... they are good if you're in dance club or something. I'm in the health science fashion show and we practiced in the basement and the mirrors were good for that.

Otherwise, weird. Agreed.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-07-2010 at 03:20 PM   #17
mike_302
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

LOL, No LP in here yet.
LP Common rooms have pros and cons as well obviously:

Pros: full kitchen, nice views, TV, vcr, dvd player, couches, new

Cons: The common room usually heats up like a furnace, and depending on what was cooked there last, they can REEEEALLLLY smell bad for days.. I'm all for ethnic food, but some of the cooking leaves a STRONG smell that you don't want to have when you are looking to relax

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:12 PM   #18
JY123

Liked: 3 Times

Keyes:

PRO
- newly renovated, nice furniture, lots of seating and room
- good sized tv, doesn't smell + the trash is never filled

CON
- nobody's ever in it... (I guess this can be viewed as a pro as well... )

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-11-2010 at 09:34 PM   #19
Naheed
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 11 Times

I'll add to the Les Prince, since I lived there for two years.

Everything is new, but people steal cushions from the couches for their rooms. There are two per floor, which means you are more likely to have it to yourself- the downside being, you are more likely to have it to yourself. That usually means the half of the floor that shares a common room, are more likely to socialize within themselves.

Also, smell travels vertically, not horizontally, in Les Prince, because of the ventilation system (I know this because I was a CA, not because I'm some crazy Les Prince knowledge buff). If someone burns something on the fifth floor, you'll smell it on the second... for days. That, and the newness can sometimes make it seem sterile.

However, in Les Prince, people tend to stay in their rooms more often because of the attached washrooms. I'd say people use the common rooms less in this building as compared to others.

Mic Mac likes this.
Old 03-14-2010 at 11:30 AM   #20
Mic Mac

Liked: 1 Time

Here's a summary as of March 14.

Hope to hear from Edwards Matthews and McKay.

-----------------------
BATES

Cons:

- They're all in the basement and you're really better off just staying in your own living room.
- its in the basement and the pool table is always broken

-----------------------
BRANDON

Cons: - the common room stinks (sometimes) when the recycling bins are full

------------------------------
HEDDEN

Pros:

- one for each "wing" sometimes it is a good thing on nights when there are shows people want to watch

Cons:

- kinda sucks sometimes cos you don't get to interact with everyone on your floor

------------------------------------
KEYES:

Pros:

- newly renovated, nice furniture, lots of seating and room
- good sized tv, doesn't smell + the trash is never filled

Cons:

- nobody's ever in it... (I guess this can be viewed as a pro as well... )

------------------------------------------
LES PRINCE

Pros:

- Everything is new, but people steal cushions from the couches for their rooms.
-There are two per floor, which means you are more likely to have it to yourself-
- full kitchen, nice views, TV, vcr, dvd player, couches, new

Cons:

-There are two per floor the downside being, you are more likely to have it to yourself. That usually means the half of
the floor that shares a common room, are more likely to socialize within themselves.
-smell travels vertically, not horizontally, in Les Prince, because of the ventilation system (I know this because I was a CA, not because I'm some crazy Les Prince knowledge buff). If someone burns something on the fifth floor, you'll
smell it on the second... for days.
- The common room usually heats up like a furnace, and depending on what was cooked there last, they can REEEEALLLLY smell bad for days
- the newness can sometimes make it seem sterile.
-In Les Prince, people tend to stay in their rooms more often because of the attached washrooms. I'd say people use the common rooms less in this building as compared to others.

------------------------------
MOULTON

Pros:

- there's a large common room on every floor and a piano on every floor
- friendly, awesome guy always around the common room
- kitchen with a lot of counter space if u want to cook
- EMR (basement common room) is HUGE with big tv and wipeboards for studying
-There's a separate garbage room so we usually don't have the problem with smelly common room

Cons:

-while the piano is nice, it can be quite irritating when some people play after quiet hours (and some quite poorly I might add) especially when you live near the common room
-There really isn't a ventilation system so when someone cooks the entire floor smells
- basement kitchen is nasty people frequently forget to wash their dishes

-----------------------------------------
WALLINGFORD

Pros:

-The tea room is cute and pretty. And there's a piano!
-I wish there was some way we could get another TV for the tea room - but a lot of people like the idea of the tea
room staying a quiet place.

Cons:

-The common rooms with the TV's are in the basement which feels like a freakin' bomb shelter. It's WAY out of the
way, a section of the basement smells like death, the one common room is tiny and the other is lined with mirrors
which is freaking CREEPY.
-Yeah... the mirrors are ghetto. I'm not going to lie.
-We only have 2 common rooms with TVs in the basement. Which honestly, isn't the best.

-----------------------------------
WHIDDEN

Pros:

-The best part of Whidden's common rooms are they are part of the building, all of the hallways lead to it, instead of
being an isolated room. This encourages people to use the room much more. The common room is also larger
then some others that I have seen.
- Whidden is shaped like the letter Y. All three wings lead to a central common room on each floor.
-In the middle of all 3 wings so really friendly especially since everyone in triples doesn't choose to stay in their
rooms.
- Its almost impossible not to pass through it, so you get to meet a lot of people.
-Big sized with a lot of empty space and a lot of couches and chairs + awesome larger table with chairs which we
normally use as a study area or for playing cards and board games.
-Has a fridge although isn't really used.
- Decent size with a Tv and windows that face McKay.
- Nice arrangement of couches and tables/chairs.
- There is a common fridge, although hardly anyone uses it.
-There is also the cave in the basement, it is a large room and not very busy (in my year) so you can group study in
it at times. It is also used for building programming.

Cons:

- Garbage cans are located in the common room, and depending on whats in it, it may affect the air quality in the room.
-Only con is that the recycling room is located in the common room so sometimes (especially on sundays after everyone puts their empty beer cans in there) it can smell bad.
- Fridge smells horrible most of the time.
-Whidden - kitchen's separate from the common room...but the fridge is in the common room o_O best to have your own mini fridge

----------------------------------
WOODSTOCK

Cons:

- Each floor has its own common room. The couch, TV, fridge and stove are all in the same room. It is very smelly and the recycling bins are always full, so there is lots of garbage on the floor.

camais likes this.
Old 03-19-2010 at 05:26 PM   #21
Mahratta
Elite Member

Liked: 366 Times

Woodstock - 1st Floor:

PROS
- the piano (it's nice to practice, and nice when other people play it well) in the main common room
- residence common room on the first floor PLUS one common room + attached (seperate) kitchen for each wing
- the main common room is good for when there's something on (TV, group quizzes, etc.)
- ping pong

CONS
- the piano (when played badly...which is a lot, and it's out of tune)
- stoves are terrible
- kitchens don't always smell particularly good

Old 03-19-2010 at 05:53 PM   #22
manu
jack

Liked: 75 Times

what is the purpose of this?
Old 03-19-2010 at 10:52 PM   #23
syan9184

Liked: 25 Times

Mckay:

Pros:
- A working TV with a remote
- separated from the kitchen and recycle bins (so it doesn't smell)
Overall, it's pretty decent.

Cons:
- the couches are rock hard!
Old 03-27-2010 at 02:37 AM   #24
mattgood9

Liked: 3 Times

hedden
pros
spacious
nice kitchen area

cons
sorta cold