MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Materials 1M03 Ownaginatios 1st Year Course Reviews 8 06-12-2015 11:14 PM
Materials 2H04 Entropy 2nd Year Course Reviews 1 08-07-2011 12:17 AM
Materials 1M03 TheAxtmann First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 5 08-24-2009 09:50 PM
Materials Engineering! MacEng Academics 23 05-02-2009 09:58 AM
Materials 3F03 micadjems 3rd Year Course Reviews 0 04-09-2009 07:05 AM

How are Protas/Provatas? (for Math and Materials)

Old 12-15-2010 at 04:26 PM   #1
CrashPlague
Gravity is Just a Theory

Liked: 33 Times

How are Protas/Provatas? (for Math and Materials)
Hey guys, I wondering if anyone, perhaps some upper year engineers could let me know how Provatas and Protas are as teachers?

I have them next term for both Materials 1M03 and Math 1ZB3. I'm just reorganzing my schedule and wondering if I should switch to another section while I'm at it.

So, pro's/con's? likes/dislikes?
Old 12-15-2010 at 04:29 PM   #2
eric_3490

Liked: 7 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post
Hey guys, I wondering if anyone, perhaps some upper year engineers could let me know how Provatas and Protas are as teachers?

I have them next term for both Materials 1M03 and Math 1ZB3. I'm just reorganzing my schedule and wondering if I should switch to another section while I'm at it.

Protas is terrible, try to switch to Childs if possible, and as for materials I don't know anything about Provatas but I highly recommend going to Zurob's lectures if you can.

Old 12-15-2010 at 04:42 PM   #3
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

MATH - Dr. Protas is not a very good lecturer. I would try and avoid his lecture section. Dr. Childs is probably your best bet but looking at the timetable theres a new prof, Dr. Mares. I don't know about him much but if I were you I'd go to his lecture first and then Dr. Childs and then decide which one to stay in for the rest of term.

MATLS - Without a doubt I'd choose Dr. Zurob. There are no other options lol. He's a GREAT prof. One of the best in my first year.
Old 12-15-2010 at 04:48 PM   #4
RyanC
Elite Member

Liked: 2,314 Times

I would retake Matls 1m03 again just to have the privilege of being taught by Zurob again...
Old 12-15-2010 at 04:59 PM   #5
jajas
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 49 Times

I never had Zurob but I heard he is great. I have him next year for a materials class for mech eng, but i heard a lot of good stuff about him from my friends who took the class already.

Protas is bad I had him both semesters in second year. his hand writtign is chicken scratch. since you seem to be in first year Childs will most probably be teaching math again as he has been teaching for the past few years. I had him in first year and he is a brilliant prof, hand writing and the way he explains too. His jokes are corny but the way he says them is hilarious. Do whatever it takes to get into his class and if you do your work you are pretty much guaranteed a grade higher than 8.
Old 12-15-2010 at 05:09 PM   #6
Leeoku
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 526 Times

an upper year was asking which prof i had. I heard, Do you have Dr. Protoss?
Old 12-15-2010 at 05:36 PM   #7
ingénieur.xo
Elite Member

Liked: 38 Times

I haven't had Dr Zurob, but I know him and he's great. However I had Provatas in first year and he was pretty much the reason I chose materials. He just absolutely loved what he was teaching, made me want to know more about it (and it was a great choice). Personally I wouldn't switch out of Provatas' class.

mh77 says thanks to ingénieur.xo for this post.
Old 12-15-2010 at 06:21 PM   #8
forever0zero

Liked: 39 Times

lol do yourself a favor and try to get out of protas' class.
Old 12-15-2010 at 07:22 PM   #9
Sasha

Liked: 8 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashPlague View Post

Protas is good but the other guy (z-something) is better. And Provatas, I heard nothing but nice things from others .. only the nicest things ...
Old 12-15-2010 at 07:26 PM   #10
camais

Liked: 30 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever0zero View Post
lol do yourself a favor and try to get out of protas' class.
just don't fall into kovariks while doing so
Old 12-15-2010 at 07:33 PM   #11
Bhaltair
Elite Member

Liked: 158 Times

I had Dr. Zurob for Materials last year and he is unfreakingbelievable awesome.

I also had Dr. Childs and Dr. McLean for 1Z04 and 1ZZ5 and both of them are great at teaching. They make decent jokes every once in a while.

I remember when I first had McLean, he introduced himself as Chris McLean, not Chris McLEAN. Decent joke.

We need more professors like them!

Last edited by Bhaltair : 12-15-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-15-2010 at 07:33 PM   #12
Boolean

Liked: 169 Times

Provatas is awesome. I almost went into materials because of him. He shares his passion for his work and it really makes the course interesting.

Great at explaining things too. If you go to the lectures, thats more than half the work you need to do in the course.

if(at_first_you_dont_su cceed) break;

Old 12-15-2010 at 08:22 PM   #13
Kevin S.
Rigid Member

Liked: 25 Times

Provatas and Zurob are both great profs, you can't go wrong with either of them.
Old 12-22-2010 at 10:45 PM   #14
Ish001

Liked: 26 Times

I have someone named Kish. How is he?