MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Volunteer with Kids nuttynatz Clubs & Groups 1 10-11-2009 08:45 PM
how that street fighter 4 is out,,, kudougw Gaming 5 09-12-2009 12:44 PM
Love Working with Kids & Looking to Volunteer? Lois Clubs & Groups 0 01-04-2009 08:36 PM
TRICK OR TREAT for SICK KIDS Chad General Discussion 1 10-21-2008 07:59 PM

PSA: Kids, look both ways before you cross a street

Old 07-23-2009 at 06:57 AM   #1
DannyV
Elite Member

Liked: 207 Times

PSA: Kids, look both ways before you cross a street
Look both ways before you cross the street, just like you were told EONS ago!

This tragedy may have been avoided: http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/605120

Luckily, the doctors say she is no longer in a life-threatening situation.
Old 07-23-2009 at 08:20 AM   #2
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Liked: 1,656 Times

Man, there are so many people these days that blindly cross the street. I remember a few years ago, when I was at high school, a car came within centimeters of hitting these two girls crossing against the light. I remember it better than the other countless times it happened because the car noticeably screeched really loud and skidded to stop. All that the girls did was look at the car and burst out laughing while continuing to cross.

Ya... really funny. I'm sure you'll be laughing too the next time it happens and you're lying on the ground with broken limbs and/or a concussion.
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:09 AM   #3
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

That's actually kinda sad, everyone makes mistakes
Old 07-23-2009 at 10:31 AM   #4
Lois
Elite Member

Liked: 361 Times

That's where I live :p.

While the girl should have checked, I'm sure the driver of the car that told her to go feels awful.

That said, I think cars should be a hell of a lot more cautious especially in an area with many young children (George R. Allan School). I was crossing the street at Bond and King when the white pedestrian walk sign was flashing and there have been multiple times when I've been nearly run over by cars.

Both cars and pedestrians should be more cautious imo.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:12 PM   #5
AnguishedEnd
Elite Member

Liked: 103 Times

Thats horrible. At least she'll be ok though could have been worse.

This reminds me of an incident that happened last year. A few young kids were playing chicken on a street a few blocks away from my house and one of the kids was struck by a pick up truck. I went over to the street and saw the car with the kids shoes just lieing in the the middle of the street with a pool of blood. It looked pretty bad, dont know if he survived though.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:19 PM   #6
feonateresa
Elite Member

Liked: 196 Times

This is sort of depressing.
However, it's not as funny as the girl who was texting on the street and fell in a manhole because she was distracted. She's actually suing the city too. What a dumb ... yeah. Haha.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:23 PM   #7
ferreinm
Elite Member

Liked: 120 Times

There have been a few times though when I have looked both ways and cars don't pay attention and speed. Fortunately, I have never been hit. With this situation, all we can do is speculate. Luckily, she's going to be alright. The responsibility is on both the driver and the pedestrian though. Drivers, young ones especially, need to remember not to speed. It would prevent so many accidents from happening.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:24 PM   #8
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
This reminds me of an incident that happened last year. A few young kids were playing chicken on a street a few blocks away from my house and one of the kids was struck by a pick up truck.
As bad as it sounds, that's kind of asking for it. Even for little kids, that's pretty damn stupid of them.

Last edited by Ownaginatios : 07-23-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:40 PM   #9
Moo!io

Liked: 21 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferreinm
There have been a few times though when I have looked both ways and cars don't pay attention and speed. Fortunately, I have never been hit. With this situation, all we can do is speculate. Luckily, she's going to be alright. The responsibility is on both the driver and the pedestrian though. Drivers, young ones especially, need to remember not to speed. It would prevent so many accidents from happening.
Ugh, rush hour is the worst since drivers are always in a rush and get cranky even though THEY make the mistake.

Also, does anyone else notice that even when you're running desperately to catch an HSR bus and it's RIGHT at the stop, the driver usually still pulls away right when you reach the door? The nice ones will wait for you the odd time, but that usually never happens I find.

@Ownaginatios: That's just crazy. I'm surprised the driver of that car didn't lean out the window and yell at them.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:43 PM   #10
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo!io View Post

@Ownaginatios: That's just crazy. I'm surprised the driver of that car didn't lean out the window and yell at them.
Maybe he did. It may have been a larger truck with a trailer, and those can't stop that quickly.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:45 PM   #11
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:

Also, does anyone else notice that even when you're running desperately to catch an HSR bus and it's RIGHT at the stop, the driver usually still pulls away right when you reach the door? The nice ones will wait for you the odd time, but that usually never happens I find.
Yeah, sometimes they wait but most of the time they leave. They can't wait all the time otherwise they'll be behind schedule... even more than they are now.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:48 PM   #12
Moo!io

@Ownaginatios:
Ah, true. Most of the time though, drivers tend to honk at people who cross the street stupidly even if they don't stop to yell at them lol

@jhan:
Which buses do you usually take? The 1A/5C/B-lines are usually on time, but I definitely can't say the same for the ones that go up/come down from the mountain.

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:51 PM   #13
jhan523
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 604 Times

Quote:
@Ownaginatios:
Ah, true. Most of the time though, drivers tend to honk at people who cross the street stupidly even if they don't stop to yell at them lol

@jhan:
Which buses do you usually take? The 1A/5C/B-lines are usually on time, but I definitely can't say the same for the ones that go up/come down from the mountain.
I don't bus a lot, but most of the times when I do the bus late. I don't know if it's just me or my time isn't the same as the buses or when I take the bus, but I find that most of the time the bus is late.
Old 07-23-2009 at 01:54 PM   #14
Moo!io

lol, I see. Usually if it's a busy time when the driver has to stop at every stop, that's when the buses start getting behind schedule. Winter nights are worst cause you're standing there shivering, and the buses don't run as often as they do during the day.

They should really consider heating those bus shelters, but I suppose that wouldn't be feasible. >.<

{ don't stop the music }
Old 07-23-2009 at 02:06 PM   #15
Ownaginatios
Trolling ain't easy

Quote:
They should really consider heating those bus shelters, but I suppose that wouldn't be feasible. >.<
The GoBus shelter by Keyes seems to have been able to implement it :p