MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
Anybody dropping Linguistics (1A03), MMedia (1A03, 1B03), or HLTH AGE (1AA3, 1BB3)? MacDaddy First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 8 07-15-2010 06:48 PM
PSYCH 1A03 and 1AA3 Mac12 Academics 5 07-06-2008 01:48 PM
psych 1a03 and 1aa3 Goce Academics 10 10-21-2007 04:10 PM

Psych 1A03/1AA3

Psych 1A03/1AA3
Published by dj_money
06-15-2008
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
80%80%80%
Interest
100%100%100%
Easiness
80%80%80%
Average 88%
Psych 1A03/1AA3

Hey!

I took both Psych courses this past year. They are changing the courses for Sept. '08 though (http://www.science.mcmaster. ca/psych...s/courses.html). But, I can't comment on HOW much its changing. However, I can say that the courses this year were significantly different than what I had heard about them in past years. Basically, we didn't have the traditional "go-to-class" lectures; rather, we had weekly web modules (commonly known as online lectures). These lectures would be released on a certain day and we would have unlimited access to them for a limited amount of time (about a week if I am not mistaken), after which they would be taken down off for viewing. Also, the online lectures would last anywhere from 15 minutes to 40 minutes. But a lot of students, including me, found that these lectures were very time-consuming, in that we had to constantly pause/play the lectures to take notes into the Psych handbook (our midterms and exam were open-book, so it definitely helped having notes in the handbook... the amount of information you write down is up to you ... some students barely took notes, while others absolutely FILLED every inch of the handbook with writing).

Okay, so basically what happened this year was students would watch the lectures and attend tutorials in which a TA would discuss the information covered in the lectures, and would give additional information not covered in the lectures.

Also, in terms of grades and assessment, the two courses were slightly different:

Psych 1A03 had two midterms, an exam, tutorial participation, tutorial quizzes, and a big group project.

In Psych 1AA3, everything was the same, except instead of the big group project, we had 4 mini-assignments (out of which only the 3 best counted for our final marks). A lot of students disliked the assignments, primarily because of how they were marked (reasons: TAs were subjective, picky, etc.).

So, that was a brief background to the courses. Both courses were certainly interesting and topics that were covered included (I may be missing some):

Psych 1A03:

- Evolution
- Development
- Brain
- Vision
- Colour Perception
- Form Perception
- Depth, Distance, & Motion
- Audition
- Music
- Chemical, Senses, & Touch
- Motivation (Hunger)

Psych 1AA3:

- Learning
- Memory
- Language
- Attention
- Categories & Concepts
- Forming Impressions
- Influence of Others
- Altruism
- Personality
- Psychopathalogy (my personal favourite!)

Overall, I liked Psych 1A03 better because it covered psychology from a science perspective, which I personally enjoyed. In terms of level of difficulty, I think it seemed as if Psych 1A03 covered a lot more content than the 1AA3. But, I guess it was because there was a lot of science involved, and the amount of content would be really deep. Psych 1AA3 was an easier courses (in terms of studying for the midterms and exams), but what made it "hard" was the marking of the mini-assignments. Also, a word of advice for those who are going to be taken these courses: make sure you know the material really well! Dr. Kim is a really tricky professor, and his multiple choice questions (on the midterms and exams) are application-based and truly test whether or not students understand the material. You will notice that these courses, like every other course in university, is not about pure memorizing and then regurgitating what you know onto the midterms/exams. You have to be able to understand the concepts and then apply them to novel situations! Overall, I think if you put in the effort though, you should be able to do really well in both courses (atleast a 10 or A-).

Good luck to those who are taking these course!

pinkshuniza, wajahan all say thanks to dj_money for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Psych 1A03/1AA3!

Old 06-30-2008 at 08:14 AM   #2
Alvand

Liked: 38 Times
So the online lectures would explain why PSYCH 1X03 has 1 50 minute lecture a week?
Old 06-30-2008 at 02:53 PM   #3
Quester

Liked: 6 Times
i was wondering about that too!

if that's the case, then we should focus on our tutorial times rather than our on-line lecture times when making our timetable in august...?
Old 09-13-2011 at 07:54 PM   #4
t.b11

Liked: 0 Times
this course is hard

Old 10-22-2012 at 10:35 AM   #5
ouchie

Liked: 0 Times
still confused about if this course is mandatory for life sci students... :s
Old 10-22-2012 at 10:25 PM   #6
Alomar12

Liked: 42 Times
If you mean Psych 1X03/1XX3, the answer is yes to both. Both are mandatory for life sci students. You only need to take 1X03 first year, but if you end up remaining in life sci, you must take 1X03 by the end of second year.

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search