MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Review Review Starter Category Comments Last Post
PSYCH 2AP3 (ABNORMAL PSYCH) Midterm 1 -what did you think?? demelo_b Academics 18 10-17-2010 04:47 PM
Switching Psych 2AA3 for Psych 2AP3 TLulu Academics 0 08-23-2010 11:34 AM
Course exchange: Psych 2H03 for Psych 2AP3 SashDoods Academics 0 08-13-2010 12:59 PM
compare psych 2ap3 and psych 2h03 nadia1 Academics 0 07-26-2010 06:05 PM
anyone planning on dropping life sci 2h03, psych 2ap3, or psych 2c03 second semester? macbaby07 Academics 2 07-12-2010 05:32 PM

Psych 2AP3

Psych 2AP3
Abnormal Psychology: Fundamentals and Major Disorders
Published by _Mike
12-10-2010
Published by

Author review
Overall Rating
90%90%90%
Professor Rating
100%100%100%
Interest
90%90%90%
Easiness
70%70%70%
Average 88%
Psych 2AP3

I took this course in fall 2010, and it was taught by Dr. Day, who I found to be one of the best lecturers I've encountered at McMaster thus far.

In this course, you learn about many common mental disorders, such as: ADHD, Autism, Anxiety Disorders, Dissociative Disorders, Somatoform Disorders, Mood Disorders, Schizophrenia, and Personality Disorders. For each disorder, you learn the symptomatology, epidemiology, etiology, and common treatments.

One helpful aspect of this course is that the courseware contains very detailed notes, so instead of scribbling down everything Dr. Day says, you will be able to pay much closer attention in lecture. Another thing that I like was that there are online practice quizzes, and the majority of the questions on the evaluations come directly from the quiz bank. My study strategy consisted of reading over the notes and doing the practice quizzes a whole bunch of times.

This course doesn't require an overwhelming amount of work; there are 2 non-cumulative midterms worth 30%, plus a cumulative final exam worth 40%. The hardest part of the evaluations is the questions from the textbook -- the chapters are quite long, and even though I read all the assigned readings, the text questions sometimes tripped me up a bit!

Overall, I would recommend this course to anyone who has an interest in abnormal psychology and is very good at memorizing! There is a bit of application in this course, but for the most part, it is measures fact retention, and a good memory will definitely be of great aid in this course. This course isn't a walk in the park by any means, and there are definitely easier electives one could take, but a double-digit grade is not at all out of reach, provided you study very well before the evaluations.

jamescw1234, oseebhai all say thanks to _Mike for this post.
Deleted Post
Edit/Delete Message
Click here to add your own review for Psych 2AP3!

Old 01-03-2011
N.Cheng
This message has been removed by a moderator. .
Old 01-03-2011 at 11:06 PM   #2
gcruz91

Liked: 0 Times
Is the textbook required or should I simply buy the courseware?
Old 01-04-2011 at 11:55 AM   #3
Tharshi91

HI,
you need the textbook as for each midterm and the exam, about 10 questions are taken directly from the textbook(and these are things, he doesnt mention in class)

gcruz91 says thanks to Tharshi91 for this post.
Old 07-28-2011 at 11:41 AM   #4
JordanRets

You mentioned that Dr. Day is an excellent lecturer, however, I was wondering if he/she is approachable.

Old 07-28-2011 at 05:43 PM   #5
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 622 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanRets View Post
You mentioned that Dr. Day is an excellent lecturer, however, I was wondering if he/she is approachable.
Definitely. He's one of the best profs at Mac. There's a whole bunch of positive reviews here if you want to read them: http://www.ratemyprofessors. com/Sh...sp?tid=1 0844
Old 08-10-2011 at 07:35 PM   #6
neeti10

Liked: 2 Times
The textbook listing says the textbook for the course is Abnormal Psych (Custom McMaster Edition). Will I be able to get away with using the normal version or do I need the McMaster one? Thanks
Old 08-11-2011 at 04:15 PM   #7
nerual
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 345 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neeti10 View Post
The textbook listing says the textbook for the course is Abnormal Psych (Custom McMaster Edition). Will I be able to get away with using the normal version or do I need the McMaster one? Thanks
They've never used the custom edition before (I took the course last year and it was a new textbook, but not custom)...so you'll have to wait for the first class.
Old 08-17-2011 at 11:02 AM   #8
Smithd37

Liked: 4 Times
You will be fine with the original textbook. The custom edition is just the original text with less chapters, which will cost less than the book brand new. If you can find the book used for cheaper you are more than welcome to buy that.

neeti10 says thanks to Smithd37 for this post.

dreamer21 likes this.
Old 08-29-2011 at 04:20 PM   #9
dreamer21

Liked: 69 Times
I emailed Professor Day about it and he said it is fine to use the 2010 edition of Butcher et al. and as the previous poster said, that the new custom edition is just a cut down version without the chapters that won't be assigned readings.
Old 09-08-2011 at 07:55 AM   #10
3am Coffee

Liked: 155 Times
any tips/advice?

Last edited by 3am Coffee : 09-08-2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09-09-2011 at 02:51 PM   #11
GG135

did anyone think the handbook was helpful just so i know if i should get it or not?
Old 09-10-2011 at 03:20 PM   #12
felicia1

I would also like to know if the handbook was helpful, I'm debating buying it.
Old 09-10-2011 at 03:36 PM   #13
Rodrique

Dr. Day Seems like a very nice prof!
Old 09-13-2011 at 05:32 PM   #14
Sultan

Liked: 3 Times
Since a few questions for testing come from the textbook, what exactly does that mean? Is it any random question from the text so you have to read everything and take notes or are they the same questions that are asked in the "in review" box of the book?

Review Tools Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search