MacInsiders Logo

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Physics tutor? killza Academics 5 04-13-2010 12:29 PM
tutor for oral english oo0cry First-Year / Prospective Student Questions 7 09-22-2009 05:53 PM
I Need A Tutor ASAP - Physics 1E03 Bobert Academics 6 03-09-2009 05:25 PM
Tutor wanted? Calculus/Economics Tutor available tutormac Academics 4 10-12-2008 08:19 PM

Psych Tutor!

Old 10-20-2009 at 05:34 PM   #1
Keenu

Liked: 15 Times

Psych Tutor!
Hi,
I am looking for a senior student to tutor a group of first years for psych 1x03. We're really really desperate... please help!! Thank you...!!
Old 10-20-2009 at 05:55 PM   #2
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

I wouldn't mind, I sent you a PM so we can co ordinate. The Big Review Session is also extremely helpful, I recomend you attend if it hasn't happened yet.
Old 10-20-2009 at 06:00 PM   #3
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

i have some pretty decent notes i can send, the material is relatively bland and easy to understand
Old 10-20-2009 at 06:12 PM   #4
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
Hi,
I am looking for a senior student to tutor a group of first years for psych 1x03. We're really really desperate... please help!! Thank you...!!
I did pretty good in psych 1X03 and 1XX3 (>10 in both courses). If you dont understand something/find the material confusing, I would be happy to help! Just send me a message
Old 10-20-2009 at 06:24 PM   #5
Scrub
Original "G"

Liked: 57 Times

i can be a tutor for psych...sike sike sike!..hhaha had to be done...but seriously psych wasnt my most like subject but PM me for help if your totally desperate and the ppl who comented above (who are probably far more qualified) cant help..
Old 10-20-2009 at 06:57 PM   #6
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenu View Post
Hi,
Omg! awesome idea. I would actually be really interested as well! That class is just... weird, in so many different ways :(
Old 10-20-2009 at 07:35 PM   #7
b_sunshine55

Liked: 1 Time

I'm a 4th year psych student - I did pretty well in 1st year psych and have a good sense of the material - however the course may differ as it was taught differently when i took it - but i assume the material is still more or less the same.

Feel free to contact me to ask any content questions or if you want to set up a tutoring time!

- Shauna
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:21 PM   #8
Fight0
Elite Member

Liked: 141 Times

Why are so many people having issues with psych this year?
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:28 PM   #9
Marlowe
Elite Member

Liked: 422 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fight0 View Post
They might have increased the difficulty a bit. It was ridiculously easy last year, and I've heard it was even easier the year before. I think they are still trying to find the perfect difficulty level where its fair, but still requires students to learn.
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:43 PM   #10
~*Sara*~
MacInsiders Staff

Liked: 624 Times

Quote:
Here are a few reasons why it is:
1- The assignments have nothing to do with psychology. It's just pure research skills, and not everyone has that from high school.
2- A lot of the quiz questions are application-style, which tends to confuse people.
3- The lectures just don't provide detailed information or enough depth to fully grasp the concepts. (Till now, I don't understand how the textbook is "optional")
4- Tutorials are quite a waste of time. Well, sure they're interactive and such, but they only focus on the main concepts (2-5 minutes out of a whole 30-40 minute lecture), most of which you never see on quizzes and such.
That's all I can think of for now
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:52 PM   #11
Kevin S

Liked: 128 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
1- The assignments have nothing to do with psychology. It's just pure research skills, and not everyone has that from high school.
2- A lot of the quiz questions are application-style, which tends to confuse people.
3- The lectures just don't provide detailed information or enough depth to fully grasp the concepts. (Till now, I don't understand how the textbook is "optional")
4- Tutorials are quite a waste of time. Well, sure they're interactive and such, but they only focus on the main concepts (2-5 minutes out of a whole 30-40 minute lecture), most of which you never see on quizzes and such.
Welcome to University.

John H, mgallant like this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 08:58 PM   #12
rrtt
Elite Member

Liked: 56 Times

Quote:
I know a couple of students who had problems with it last year (a lot of kids in my tutorials were always complaining). If I am remembering correctly, the average on one of the midterms (either 1X03 or 1XX3) was around 65%. Personally, I found the courses to be pretty straightforward, but I guessing that overall, that wasn't the case.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure that they also made it harder this year.

~*Sara*~ likes this.
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:21 PM   #13
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*Sara*~ View Post
Hey,

I have to completely disagree with everything you are saying.

1) There are quizzes and there are assignments. The quizzes directly test you on lecture material, and the assignments are research based. Keep in mind, as is explained in the very first class - the Intropsych classes are based on experimental psychology, and so we need to work on establishing research skills. Honestly, you will realize down the road how useful it is that the assignments forced you to learn this stuff - proper APA and research skills will be essential throughout the rest of your degree. As said above, Welcome to University - it's not an easy ride.

2) Application style is used to avoid people who have a good memory being able to do well off of just rote memorization. You need to understand concepts in order to do well in upper year psychology and that is what these courses are meant to prepare you for.

3) The lectures are actually significantly detailed. As well, keep in mind we 6 hours of office hours online and in person Monday to Friday to help you understand anything you need help with. This course has the most resources of any course you will find to help you succeed. It's up to you to use them!

4) You may not realize it, but the tutorials are actually quite useful. Although they don't repeat everything in your lectures (which what would be the point in that?), they help you learn those application skills. Every activity enforces a specific application of a concept you used to help you learn the material better. However, just like anything else you have to put the effort in for it to be useful. University is largely about making the effort - and I guarantee you won't find another course that has as many resources as this course to help you succeed.
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:31 PM   #14
fasailuddin
Account Disabled by User

Liked: 47 Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by McIntyre View Post
Hey,

I have to completely disagree with everything you are saying.

1) There are quizzes and there are assignments. The quizzes directly test you on lecture material, and the assignments are research based. Keep in mind, as is explained in the very first class - the Intropsych classes are based on experimental psychology, and so we need to work on establishing research skills. Honestly, you will realize down the road how useful it is that the assignments forced you to learn this stuff - proper APA and research skills will be essential throughout the rest of your degree. As said above, Welcome to University - it's not an easy ride.

2) Application style is used to avoid people who have a good memory being able to do well off of just rote memorization. You need to understand concepts in order to do well in upper year psychology and that is what these courses are meant to prepare you for.

3) The lectures are actually significantly detailed. As well, keep in mind we 6 hours of office hours online and in person Monday to Friday to help you understand anything you need help with. This course has the most resources of any course you will find to help you succeed. It's up to you to use them!

4) You may not realize it, but the tutorials are actually quite useful. Although they don't repeat everything in your lectures (which what would be the point in that?), they help you learn those application skills. Every activity enforces a specific application of a concept you used to help you learn the material better. However, just like anything else you have to put the effort in for it to be useful. University is largely about making the effort - and I guarantee you won't find another course that has as many resources as this course to help you succeed.
Hey do you know if the test will be rescheduled if the TA's go on strike (a friend of mine is worried)
Old 10-20-2009 at 11:34 PM   #15
McIntyre

Liked: 182 Times

From the CUPE 3906 Blog:

The no-board report has been issued setting the earliest legal strike/lockout deadline at 12:01am on Saturday October 31st.

If they do strike at their earliest available time...it will be 4 hours after the test is over